Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Te Purei Mohi  

RSS
ness_2 OWC
(@ness_2-owc)

Kia Ora My great grandfather was Mohi Te Purei ( Tuparoa,Tikitiki) I think he had 3 to 4 wives my whanau come off the second wife but not too sure if anyone has any info this would be appreciated.

Posted : 06 September, 2006 1:37 pm
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

Kia ora ness
One of my nannies (gr8 aunts) way back in the line married your tupuna, I dont know whether she was No. 1 or 2 or whatever, I know she was married twice as well. I dont know whether he was from Tuparoa, he probably was, but I know he has given the modern world most of the korero on the great warrior chief Tuwhakairiora. I only managed to research three tamariki from their union, they were, Te Piri, Ripeka and Ratiwera or Mihi. Theres heaps of korero on the net about him, he was a great orator back in the day. But you probably already knows that aye. Kia ora ano

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 September, 2006 12:06 am
ness_2 OWC
(@ness_2-owc)

Tena Koe Jax. I was wondering if you could direct me to some of the sites where I can find info on our Tupuna Mohi. My grandmother is the last of the tamariki of Mohi and Maraea Ahuahu ?
She is in her 95th year October, and being from the old skool i think she finds it hard to talk about the past. Heoi this is where curiosity can help fill in the gaps. Looking forward to hearing from you whanaunga
He Mihi
Ness

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 September, 2006 8:28 pm
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

kia ora ness_2,
theres a little abit of korero on him at www.nzgenealogy.rootschat.net/hawkesbay.html, where he was a courts aide in Gisborne and theres a write up although fairly small on www.teaohou.natlib.govt.nz/teaohou/issue/Mao48TA/c32.html, he has many descendants at Te Araroa and Hicks Bay which is easy to find. Try thoughs for now, and I'll check the whanau for info and get back to you

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 September, 2006 11:17 pm
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

whoops, Arohamai, I gave you the wrong teaohou link. its www.teaohou.natlib.govt.nz/teaohou/issue/Mao05TA/c12.html

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 September, 2006 11:25 pm
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

Arohamai ness_2,
I made a grave oversite on the 14th the result of too many late nights I apologise. The korero is probably unsalvagable at this point.
On my fathers dads whanau line there can be found Mohi Te Purei who married Mereana Parihi Poutu around early 1890's from Wharekahika, she also had Towai connections, later he married Katarina Waipapa abt 1920's. These are the only marriages I have for him. I will definitely ask the whanau about his korero this weekend as I am heading over to Tokomaru Bay later on today. One of my uncles(late) spent much of his life researching Ngati Porou whakapapa and managed to compile several handwritten volumes from various sources, I will have a look in there also. Where I crossed wires um, is... on my fathers mums whanau line there is Mohi Turei who had Wiremu Paraone Turei, and he married Harriet Dewes. Aroha mai, Mohi Turei was born around 1830's, and is the orator I was referring to earlier, my apologies. There is a photo of him with small caption in Margret Orbells book 'Maori Myths & Legends on page 236. Regards,

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 September, 2006 3:25 am
Share: