Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TE RARAWA IWI. Te Hokokeha=Takangaroa.  

RSS
copycatdog OWC
(@copycatdog-owc)

Kia Ora Koutou Whanau,
I am looking for anything on Te Hokokeha. It is the name of my hapu.
Anything anyone can submit would be greatly appreciated.
Te Hokokeha=Takangaroa=Te Hau?
Are Te Hokokeha and Te Hau the same person?
The Whakapapa goes

Rawheao
Puaiti
Takangaroa=Te Hau
Mawete.
Mawete sister was
Takakuru=Whakarongouru.
Na
Steve.

Posted : 24 March, 2007 8:34 pm
Scarlett OWC
(@scarlett-owc)

Kia ora Steve
Te Hokokeha according to oral tradition, got its name when a tupuna sold a dried head to a pakeha. He thought he was paid in gun pellets. When he opened the bag they were actually keha ( turnip)seeds. Wiremu Rikihana was well documented in the Hokianga area ( read Karanga Hokianga). Some of his descendants moved to Kaihu from the Mitimiti ( Te Rarawa) region, after Chief Parore Te Awha gifted him some land in return for a favour his father did. He cited Te Hokokeha as his hapu in the land court. The Anania whanau did the same. Perhaps if you research Wiremu Rikihana, you will find more about te Hokokeha.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 March, 2007 1:45 pm
copycatdog OWC
(@copycatdog-owc)

Kia Ora for that Scarlett. I pretty well knew the story of how the Hapu got It's name but you've added extra information there that is a bonus. Wiremu Rikihana is my great great Grandfather on my great Grandmothers side. Wiremu Rikihana great Grandmother is my (5) greats Grandmother on my great Gandfathers line. LoL Confused? Anyway, I've taken your advice to read Karanga Hokianga but I haven't been able to find a copy for sale from any bookshops I've visited or my searches on the net.I'll keep looking. Kia Ora for your help,
Steve.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 March, 2007 5:48 pm
FunkyJai OWC
(@funkyjai-owc)

Tena Korua,

I gave the local library a call this morning to request the KARANGA HOKIANGA book.
They have it in their reference section.You might want to give your library a call. I'm going to check it out myself.
Thanks for that info Scarlett.
Always appreciated

Aroha 2U
Jai

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 March, 2007 12:53 pm
copycatdog OWC
(@copycatdog-owc)

Kia Ora Jai,
Our little town of Coromandel does'nt have a big library and it costs ya "fiddy" to join. I'd rather spend a "hundy" to buy it, LoL. I rang
Te Rununga O Te Rarawa H.Q and got hold of a very nice girl named Racheal. She is hot on the trail of where we can buy this book from. I will keep yous posted. Yous? Ah well LoL.
Steve.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 March, 2007 5:41 pm
Share: