Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

te rau o riwa  

RSS
te rau oriwa OWC
(@te-rau-oriwa-owc)

any whakaaro on this name TE RAU O RIWA would help

Posted : 07 December, 2006 1:16 am
Hinga Whanau
(@hinga-whanau)

Kia ora Te Rau O Riwa,

There is a Te Rau Kurei O Riwa listed on the Latter Day Saints website: www.familysearch.org. Female born 1919 in Opotiki and died 5 May 1980. When verifying this search just type Riwa in the last name and set the country to New Zealand.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 December, 2006 9:48 am
Hinga Whanau
(@hinga-whanau)

And by the way,

You can also put the call out on www.oldfriends.co.nz and try a search on www.maorilandonline.govt.nz.

If these fail to yeild anything you can also drop a line or email to your local Iwi (many of whom are online) or contact the local church to view the registry.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 December, 2006 9:52 am
maniapoto_jack OWC
(@maniapoto_jack-owc)

Kiaora Te Rau o Riwa,

First he patai taku in all humility, where did you obtain this name? to ingoa? he tupuna pea?

The sister of a tupuna of mine was named Te Rau o Riwa, she was of Ngaati Tahu a iwi around the Reporoa, Kaingaroa area, close to Tuuhoe lands. With that a friend of mine from Tuuhoe has another female tupuna named that too. I dont no wat it means i must ask her as im sure she will know. But i think it comes from Tuuhoe

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 December, 2006 6:05 pm
Chris Huriwai OWC
(@chris-huriwai-owc)

There is a church marae called te rau oriwa in christchurch that is attached to Te Hepara Pai church, while the name could be a tupuna name in tuhoe from what i know it's roots are in the bible.

You see towards the end of the great flood Noah sent out a dove from the ark to see if the land was dry, the first time he sent out the dove it came back with nothing as the waters were still covering the land, but the second time he sent the dove out he returned with the branch of an olive tree in its beak which told Noah that the waters were subsiding and that there was hope once again for mankind.

Since then the olive branch or "Te Rau Oriwa" in maori has been a symbol for hope for many people world wide, thats also the reason a lot of curches and relegious paintings and stain glass windows depict a dove with a branch in its mouth.

Hope this helped 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 December, 2006 9:38 am
Share: