Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Te Uruhonea/Tamakoro/Hinerupe?  

RSS
allikat1 OWC
(@allikat1-owc)

Kia Ora Koutou, I am looking to find out more about my great-great-great grandfather Te Uruhonea who came from Te Araroa or thereabouts.
My name is Allister Walker and I am from Te Kaha. My grandmother was a Haweti from Awanui-Haparapara and she is my link to this tupuna.

My father was named after his son, Te Hakota mai Tawhiti, and the mother was Nohoparae of Whanau a Te Ehutu. I have read Bob McConnell's book He Taonga Tuku Iho and there is a story in there about a man called Te Uruhonea who belonged to Whanau a Hinerupe and was a tohunga whakairo. It may be just a coincidence, but I do know that my tupuna had links to Tamakoro.

His whakapapa goes like this:

Tamakoro
Tamanuhiri
Te Amorakau
Tukapiti
Kuriangoa
Kapotihi
Te Uruhonea

I don't know much about Tamakoro, but his name pops up quite a bit in Ngati Porou whakapapa. Te Hakota was born in the Karatuwhero Valley and I have seen the whare tupuna Tamakoro at Tutua Marae; I wonder if that is my marae too?

My late father was a shareholder in Tapatu block up the back of the Awatere River and some of the other whanau who are shareholders are Puketapu, Evans, Gerard, Reihana, Keelan.

Older people from Te Araroa will remember my uncle Bill Walker from Waihau Bay, who had a sawmill at Whakaangiangi. His son David Walker, was a policeman at Te Araroa, Gisborne and Wairoa. He also played rugby for East Coast and Poverty Bay.

If anyone could shed any light on this subject for me it would be greatly appreciated. I know I can whakapapa to this area, but it can be frustrating trying to explain it.

Posted : 21 December, 2007 9:16 pm
Share: