Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Te Wakatotara & Taitepuariki  

RSS
Kathie OWC
(@kathie-owc)

I grew up in Palmerston North believing that my Maori whakapapa was linked to Ngati Porou (as indicated by my great aunt), however we have never been able to trace exactly where from in Ngati Porou - I have not been able to find any further whakapapa linking us back there.

At a recent family reunion I came across a whakapapa document that suggests we may in fact be from Ngati Awa or possibly Te Ati Awa - it's all very confusing and I'm suddenly having an identity crisis!!

I am a decendant of Eraiha Kuraututu Ngapaki whose parents were Te Heu (f) and Te Wetiki (m). Te Wetiki's siblings were Moatia (f) and Waketotora (f), and their parents were Te Wakatotara (f) and Taitepuariki (m). If these names mean anything to anyone please let me know. One document I have mentions that Eraiha's daughter stated in a court hearing that her mother was from Ngati Awa - but there is also reference in another document to Ngati Tuparikino which I believe is a Te Ati Awa hapu. There is also some mention of a Ngati Kairoa, wherever that might be.

Eraiha married in Marlborough and she and her Pakeha husband raised their family in Pipitea in Wellington. There was some documentation about a Grant of Land at Pipitea Point on Native Reserve No. 1 (recorded in the National archives of NZ). Eraiha's husband William Wood applied for a Grant of Land on this property, after Eraiha's death I think. I believe that it was her whanau land - but not certain.

So if anyone can shed any light on helping me clear this up I would be forever grateful.

Posted : 07 June, 2006 7:51 pm
Woody100 OWC
(@woody100-owc)

Hi Kathie,
I don't know whether I can help but we do have a common thread.
My GGGranfather was William Wood who married Eraiha in 1842.
I have contacted you via e-mail you were going to get back.
Grant Wood

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 June, 2006 10:52 pm
rachk OWC
(@rachk-owc)

quote:

I grew up in Palmerston North believing that my Maori whakapapa was linked to Ngati Porou (as indicated by my great aunt), however we have never been able to trace exactly where from in Ngati Porou - I have not been able to find any further whakapapa linking us back there.

At a recent family reunion I came across a whakapapa document that suggests we may in fact be from Ngati Awa or possibly Te Ati Awa - it's all very confusing and I'm suddenly having an identity crisis!!

I am a decendant of Eraiha Kuraututu Ngapaki whose parents were Te Heu (f) and Te Wetiki (m). Te Wetiki's siblings were Moatia (f) and Waketotora (f), and their parents were Te Wakatotara (f) and Taitepuariki (m). If these names mean anything to anyone please let me know. One document I have mentions that Eraiha's daughter stated in a court hearing that her mother was from Ngati Awa - but there is also reference in another document to Ngati Tuparikino which I believe is a Te Ati Awa hapu. There is also some mention of a Ngati Kairoa, wherever that might be.

Eraiha married in Marlborough and she and her Pakeha husband raised their family in Pipitea in Wellington. There was some documentation about a Grant of Land at Pipitea Point on Native Reserve No. 1 (recorded in the National archives of NZ). Eraiha's husband William Wood applied for a Grant of Land on this property, after Eraiha's death I think. I believe that it was her whanau land - but not certain.

So if anyone can shed any light on helping me clear this up I would be forever grateful.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 May, 2007 9:37 pm
rachk OWC
(@rachk-owc)

Hi there, I am a descendant of Eraiha Ngapaki. I don't have a lot of information, but do have a partial family tree for the Wood family which leads back to Eraiha. I was under the belief she was of Te Ati Awa descent. I would also be interested in obtaining further information about her history. If you would like to merge resources I'd be happy to hear from you. rachg@clear.net.nz

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 May, 2007 9:41 pm
Share: