Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Te Whiu,Te Wehi, Te Irirangi -Ngai Tai  

RSS
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Interested in any information or stories over my Tipuna Te Whiu and Te Wehi and their son Tara Te Irirangi (born before 1800)of Umupuia, Maretai

Edited by - markonijoy on Mar 03 2006 03:20:40 AM

Posted : 05 August, 2005 1:05 am
Arongo
(@arongo)

If it is the same Te Whiu from the Hokianga, what I have been told is that he was the first to be converted to the Catholic faith and helped with the translating of the bible to maori. Let me know if its the same whanau

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 September, 2006 7:10 am
Arongo
(@arongo)

If it is the same Te Whiu from the Hokianga, what I have been told is that he was the first to be converted to the Catholic faith and helped with the translating of the bible to maori. Let me know if its the same whanau

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 September, 2006 7:10 am
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Much thanks for your reply. My understanding was that these two came from the Hauraki Gulf, South Auckland or Thames area.
Te Whiu Rangitakerehau is stated in one version I have but this is unclear as to whether it is the name of one person or 2 generations. I suspect the later with Te Whiu leading onto Rangitakerehau
These names Te Whiu and Te Wehi, are husband and wife but I am unsure which is which.
There is some confusion in regards to the name Te Wehi with many having it written as Wenu, Whenu or Wheu. Which is correct eludes me, perhaps they all were.
I would think their lives would have been around 1780 era a little before the main Missionary invasion, but I could be mistaken
thanks for your reply

Edited by - markonijoy on Sep 02 2006 7:12:36 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 September, 2006 7:08 pm
Arongo
(@arongo)

Like the quote....I am thinking you are right, I am finding the name Te Whiu to be very common now.Hope you find what you are looking for.Have you checked any Tainui, Ngati Whatua based websites as they may have what you need

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 September, 2006 1:34 am
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

quote:

Have you checked any Tainui, Ngati Whatua based websites as they may have what you need

No I havent followed this avenue yet but perhaps its time I took a look at what they have available online. Much thanks for the suggestion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 September, 2006 6:08 pm
Arongo
(@arongo)

Pai noa you've got me interested in a kaupapa besides my many other searches do you mind keeping me up dated with what you find

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 September, 2006 8:20 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

No thats fine, I will keep you in mind if I find anything new for this line. Meanwhile I think it must be your whanau who are showing up under that name at Archives
www.archway.archives.govt.nz
Try the simple search option. Getting to the next page is often a pain on that site so I find its easier to enter the next pages number
Happy hunting

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 September, 2006 8:46 pm
Arongo
(@arongo)

Thanks, also check any Rotorua maori sites as they have a Marae named Te Iringa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 September, 2006 8:51 pm
Arongo
(@arongo)

Thanks again for that site, now I understand why we don't talk about the whanau

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 September, 2006 9:00 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Oh I think you will find they are just "normal". Every family has the occasional black sheep and in many ways these are the ones who make family research more colourful and interesting

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 September, 2006 9:08 pm
Share: