Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TEMOANANUI Whanau  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
kelzinaotearoa OWC
(@kelzinaotearoa-owc)

Kia Ora Whanau.
I am trying to find any information about the TeMoananui whanau in the Hauraki Gulf Region.Iwi - Ngati Tamatera.Hatara TeMoananui - Hera Teteira. Also information on Waikato Whanau.Ngati Paoa.Miriama Waikato. Koro Miki TeMoananui born in Tokomaru Bay. Moira Waikato born in Thames.Any onfo would be gratefully appreciated.
Kia Ora Koutou Katou

Posted : 09 January, 2005 10:10 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora kelzinaotearoa,

Go to http://www.familysearch.org and choose the search button. In surname put moananui without the te (as then you will get everyone whose surnames start with te!) and select New Zealand as the country, you will find a few Te Moananui. You will know better than I if they are your whanaunga or not

You can also do a search for the surname Waikato and it will get results.

Just a few things to note when using the familysearch site:
1 Not all records are accurate
2 There can be duplicate records with conflicting information
3 Not all records are linked even though they are the children / parents of others on record
4 There can be different variations of the first names

Good Luck!

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Jan 28 2005 1:38:32 PM

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 January, 2005 1:29 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ano,

Just found the post [url="http://www.maori.org.nz/papa_panui/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=345&FORUM_ID=3&CAT_ID=2&Forum_Title=Tracing+Tupuna+%28Ancestors%29&Topic_Title=WAIKATO+WHANUA&whichpage=1&tmp=1#pid639"]here[/url] by another member who is also looking for info on the Waikato whanau so maybe you two could awhi each other

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 January, 2005 1:37 pm
iwituha OWC
(@iwituha-owc)

Kia ora Whanau, contact the Hauraki maori Trust Board and the Ngati Tamatera Runanga (based in Paeroa). The hauraki claims have huge volumes of research on our tupuna and their doings from the past - they are available from the HMTB Board and the Ngati tamatera Runanga. Meha Te Moananui was recently quoted by Hauraki whaanui for his petition in the 1800's about the foreshore and seabed belonging to hapu and not the crown. I have a whanau member whom you should contact Pitau Mahuta Williams of the Ngati Tawhaki and Te Matewaru hapu of Ngati Tamatera - as I understand it two principal hapu of the cheif Te Moananui of the Hauraki (Marutuahu) people. Another source is the MLC database at the university of Auckland, use Maoananui in the all search feild and this will give you Hauraki Minute book references to any papatipuna korero from your ancestor with respect to take whenua o Te Moananui. Be prepared for the journey it is an awesome one if you are searching for your whakapapa for the right reasons.

Mauri ora

Tipa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 February, 2005 4:51 pm
huiabird OWC
(@huiabird-owc)

kia ora whanau
my hapu also ngati tamatera, ngati maru, and ngati tawhaki through my mother. Am direct descendants to my nana emily te moananui married peta harawera (karu). I have my great great grandfather hirama te moananui whakapapa married to merina.

Yes, pitau william (pitau boy) can help you, if I'm not much of help to you. He stay in paeroa, ask around for te moananui flat.They'll tell where he lives.
or goes to waiomu homestead see ake or agnes. She is Te Moananui whanau kuia there now.

Happy hunting

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 February, 2005 9:10 pm
kra.z OWC
(@kra-z-owc)

[quote]
kia ora whanau
my hapu also ngati tamatera, ngati maru, and ngati tawhaki through my mother. Am direct descendants to my nana emily te moananui married peta harawera (karu). I have my great great grandfather hirama te moananui whakapapa married to merina.

Yes, pitau william (pitau boy) can help you, if I'm not much of help to you. He stay in paeroa, ask around for te moananui flat.They'll tell where he lives.
or goes to waiomu homestead see ake or agnes. She is Te Moananui whanau kuia there now.

Happy hunting
PITAU-BOY HAS-PASSED-ON-TO-GREENER-PASTURES-

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 January, 2006 10:50 am
smiley77 OWC
(@smiley77-owc)

Kia Ora,

My names Sarah Te Teira, I'm Ngati Tamatera and have some information on Te Moananuui that might be of interest to you. We had a reunion in 2000 where we were given our whakapapa which included the Te Moananui whanau. Its mostly about Te Teira Whanau but there is some info on Te Moananui as well. I'll check it again tonight for you but if you want a copy of this you can email me if you like with your address etc and I will be happy to send it up to you.

If you contact anyone at Ngahutoitoi Marae in Paeroa they should be able to help you as well.

Good Luck!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 May, 2006 11:58 am
Madz OWC
(@madz-owc)

Kia ora whanau

I am also a descendant from the Hauraki rohe and is constantly back and forth from Paeroa all the time.....I know that there are quite a few Te Moananui whanau living in Paeroa and you will find them if you ask for the Flats which is down Rotokohu Road leading to Ngahutoitoi Marae....no doubt someone will know who you looking for....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 January, 2007 1:04 pm
moananui OWC
(@moananui-owc)

Kia Ora whanau,
I am trying to find info also on Te Moananui he married Ngaroma,They had four daughters.He then married Rihi Brott and then Ruiha Brott.His son from his second marraige is my great great grandfather.His son William my great grandfather and his son Richard my grandfather.William and Richard lived in Whananaki. We are looking for any info about where Te Moananui may be buried.I'm not sure how tika this info is so any added info would be great.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 February, 2007 9:42 am
te-aranui1 OWC
(@te-aranui1-owc)

Kia Ora whanau
My name is tiki tangiwai. my great great grandfather id Te tiki Huarua Romana, a brother to Wiki te Moananui. Kawhena and Jessie were ngarama"s daughters. Kawhena married george brott/parata from kaitaia. her father wiki married Ruiha and her sister Rihi. to my knowledge wikitoria's whanau lived around Manaia but are from tauranga. Te moananui maybe buried here at maungatapu or ngapeke. when te moananui died kawhena took i think Ruiha's children back north, the boys went to whananaki and the girls stayed with her, 1 was Bella who married Bella Pohe. Janice vance her grand daughter lives ib Bella's old house in parua Bay.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 April, 2007 1:14 am
menaferris
(@menaferris)

Moana you may be interested to read my posting thread which asks about this whanau also (Moananui/TeMoananui) on this site. We are from the same line (William Moore). I have been slowly gathering information on this whanau. Wikitoria is buried in the tomo near Manaia marae. I would gladly share what I know with you about William and his family from Whananaki

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 April, 2007 3:35 pm
Te Rapu OWC
(@te-rapu-owc)

Kia ora whanau, my great grandmother was Kawhena Te Moananui who married George Brott, from Kaitaia, one of their daughters Matire (Matilda, Tilly) was my grandmother who married Tame Petimana (Pitman) from Takahiwai,but they lived at Tamaterau, across the harbour, they had 18 children. Two of them are still here today, George 100 years old & William 89 years old both live in Whangarei Sadly their younger brother Thomas passed away yesterday in Rotorua aged 76. I know the Moore whanau who have lived at Whananaki, I have recently met a cousin (Judy) from the Williams whanau her mother Agnes was a sister of my grandmother. Any more information would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps it is time for us to have a whanau hui??
Noho ora mai Naphelia

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 May, 2007 9:13 pm
murielkerrbell OWC
(@murielkerrbell-owc)

Hi Te Moananui whanau I am looking for a photo of Emily Moore she married Archibald Kerr-Bell they lived in Whangarei her sister was Bella Pohe.and Betty.She died and Archie married Ivi Castles and then Maria Dawson.On her marr cert she said her mother was Jane Brott father William More.On her death cert was Lizzy Brott and Wi Te Moananui..
Cheers now Muriel

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 July, 2007 3:56 pm
cablen OWC
(@cablen-owc)

No relation to the chief Te Moananui who built the gunfighter pa at Whakamarama in the Western Bay of Plenty in the 1860s? (where Tawhitinui Marae is located)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 July, 2007 10:54 pm
maori_anahera OWC
(@maori_anahera-owc)

Kia Ora whanau,
I have just moved back to Aotearoa to research my family tree for my son, though it seems more like a hedge at the moment. He comes down through Hohipera Sophie Te Moananui and Timiuha Te Karu. From what I know, the whanau is from Ngahutoitoi Marae. I am having a bit of difficulty finding info, so if anyone can steer me in the right direction, I would be grateful. They lived in the Paeroa, Hikutaia area

Anahera

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 July, 2007 5:39 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: