Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TIPENE, Te Riwhi, Te Rata ... (Motatatau, Northland)  

RSS
kotiro OWC
(@kotiro-owc)

I have gone back to about 1720, but need some details confirmed correct or otherwise and a lot of gaps filled in and of course to talk to you all who are my whanau.

Kia ora ... Lillian

Posted : 09 March, 2005 7:46 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora kotiro,

Can you confirm that Te Riwhi and Te Rata are whanau names (surnames) or first names so members may be able to awhi you a bit more.

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 March, 2005 11:21 pm
kotiro OWC
(@kotiro-owc)

No, TIPENE is the surname and Te Riwhi & Te Rata are the first names - that's why I capitalised the surname, because I thought it was standard practice. Te Riwhi was my grandfather and his father was Te Rata.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 March, 2005 11:18 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ano kotiro,

I asked for clarification as I know people with all those names as surnames! And yes, you are right, it is standard practice, but it is a new practice here at the moment and sometimes I have spent a few hours searching for surnames that were actually first names.

If you go to http://www.familysearch.org and put Te Rata in the first name, Tipene in the surname and set the country to New Zealand the results will give you listings for both Te Rata Tipene and Te Riwhi Tipene as well as variations of those names. These records may be able to help you, but be aware that the records at this site are not always correct; names spelt wrong, dates out by a century but it is a good place to start.

As you already have names, using the familysearch site you can confirm things. However, if say for example one of the records has a different parent than the one that you have, do not necessarily take the familysearch record as being correct, make a note of the other name then see if you can confirm from another source either the name you have or the name that familysearch has. Also be aware that a different name for a parent could indicate that the other person has more than one marriage and that could be where the other name comes in.

Use the familysearch site to confirm things that you have, do not use it as the definitive record.

Good luck!

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 March, 2005 2:53 pm
kotiro OWC
(@kotiro-owc)

Thanks, I have already been through that site, not much there. The LDS site had a little on my grandfather (although incorrect some parts - and he was never a Mormon) but I just need much older parts of my whakapapa verified (right or wrong). I shall sit, wait and hope someone out there can share that knowledge with me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 March, 2005 8:06 pm
TEWHEKE OWC
(@tewheke-owc)

Ko Te Riwhi Rata TIPENE toku tipuna matua,
Ko TuWahine Tautari toku tipuna whaea,
Ko Morehu waa TIPENE toku matua,
Ko dobbie tenei e mihi whanui kia koutou

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 June, 2005 4:55 pm
witewhiu OWC
(@witewhiu-owc)

Tena koe, e kii mai koe kua whakahoki to tirotiro
ki tera rau tau.Mama noaiho me ringi atu ki te
bossman a Joe Tipene.He koroke rawe,he koroke
matau.
Ko taku tupuna i roto Ngati Hineamaru.Ko Mataroria.Orite a Mataroria ki a Rahiri.Ko ngaa tupuna nei.E kaha ana ki te whai uri.
Praise the Lord!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 June, 2005 8:44 pm
romi
 romi
(@romi)

tena korua Kotiro mea Witewhiu
Kei te tika me haere tonu kia Joe.
Engari e hara kei a ia anoo nga hekenga mo te whanau o Te Rata anake. Kei konaa nga uri o Te Ropere kei te noho mai i Motatau i aia tonu nei. Na ratou enei koorero:
Ko Mataroria te tupuna. ko Tipene tona uri.
E ai ki nga koorero, ka moe a Tipene, ka puta ko Hemi.
Ka moe a Hemi ka puta ko Te Rata, tae noa atu ki tana potiki ko Te Ropere.
Ka moe a Te Rata kia Mihiwira ka puta ko Te Riiwhi tau tupuna e whai haere nei e koe, e kotiro.
Kia ora korua
Romi

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 June, 2005 12:26 pm
motatau_4life OWC
(@motatau_4life-owc)

Tena Koutou,
im apart of the TIPENE whanau from Motatau my Great granfather was Big Ben Tipene and my Grandad is Huru Tipene my mum is Huru Tipenes daughter Rosie Tipene and im Rosies daughter Sharon Tautari from Motatau who is married to Thomas Tautari of Waiomio

Mauri Ora kia kototu!!!
SWEETIE

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 June, 2005 2:16 pm
motatau_4life OWC
(@motatau_4life-owc)

Tena Koutou,
im apart of the TIPENE whanau from Motatau my Great granfather was Big Ben Tipene and my Grandad is Huru Tipene my mum is Huru Tipenes daughter Rosie Tipene and im Rosies daughter Sharon Tautari from Motatau who is married to Thomas Tautari of Waiomio

Mauri Ora kia kototu!!!
SWEETIE

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 June, 2005 2:17 pm
witewhiu OWC
(@witewhiu-owc)

Teena koe Romi
Ae,tika marika to korero.Ka nui ngaa uri i heke mai to tao a Mataroria.Whakaaro ana au mo to tao whanaunga karanga maha a Boss/Joe.Notemea horekau ana teenei koroke i wehi ana ki te korero ki te whakamarama mai mo weenei kawai heke.Ekore weenei korero e pungarehu mo apopo.
Arohanui.
Na,Wi.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 June, 2005 10:13 pm
kotiro OWC
(@kotiro-owc)

Does anyone have a photo of my grandfather's father Te Rata Tipene. I already have one of Mihiwira (Te Rata's wife). Appreciate all your help in advance.

Lil
fernsre1@bigpond.net.au

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 July, 2005 4:45 pm
kotiro OWC
(@kotiro-owc)

Te Wheke - please contact me, your dad and my mother were brother and sister and would love to make contact with you cuzz. Also, it's your dad's 60th im March 2006 and I'm sure he'd love to see you there - if not sooner ... it's been a long time!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 September, 2005 12:49 pm
Broni OWC
(@broni-owc)

This is to Kotiro my name is Bronwen Honetana, just wandering if you know of Craig Tipene (Nick Tipene's son) if you could get in contact with me that would be great.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 September, 2006 1:39 am
Share: