Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TOHI ARIKI, Makirangi:  

RSS
teeta OWC
(@teeta-owc)

Searching for any information on Makirangi TOHI ARIKI born 24 July 1884 Pirongia, Waikato. married Ernest Henry HUBBARD.

Posted : 28 October, 2005 12:07 pm
culturedwahine OWC
(@culturedwahine-owc)

Kia ora i to am searching for more info about them. That are my tupuna I have access to a few pictures of the Hubbard side and the whakapapa but it is so mixed up i was hoping to have some time to go to the Maori land courts to find more info as i have just started looking again, before i had given up because it was so hard to find i thought i was found under a rock. I was told by my aunty that makirangi led a war party into battle but thats all i know, are you a direct descendent as well?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 November, 2007 7:03 am
DDD OWC
(@ddd-owc)

i know there is a family with this surname in dunedin. I once knew a fulla named Te Mana TohiAriki, I think he was from dunedin, a surfie type if I recall rightly

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 November, 2007 12:08 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora culturedwahine

Yes this line is a difficult one trace. Tohi Ariki was my great grand fathers brother. Teeta, the original postee for this thread, has not returned for a visit in some time, however that is not to say he will not be back, just that its been a while.

Makirangi, tohi Ariki's daughter married Ernest Hubbard. The name Makirangi comes from Ngati Makirangi who traditionally occupied Northeast Waikato bordering on the Hauraki district. Te Ruinga a member of the Ngati Makirangi hapu did lead a war party against the famed chief Tapaue and his brother Wharetipiti approximately 300 years ago in the Waikato.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 November, 2007 3:01 pm
culturedwahine OWC
(@culturedwahine-owc)

Thanks 4 the speedy reply and the info have you got the whakapapa back from our great grandparents? I was told it is interlinked with the Kingitanga?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 November, 2007 6:09 pm
DDD OWC
(@ddd-owc)

kia ora culturedwahine.matahuru

are you aware of the fairly large hubbard whanau in rotorua?

just thought they may be related to you all.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 November, 2007 7:13 am
culturedwahine OWC
(@culturedwahine-owc)

Kia ora DDD yep i do know of them they are my nana's whanaunga but i have never met any of them thankz 4 tht

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 November, 2007 10:02 am
DDD OWC
(@ddd-owc)

kia ora CW. They live just down the road from me. I know them well. one of the sons maried my relation.
Just out of curiosity, are you connected to piopio station and pirongia land blocks? my mum gets letters and stuff from over there re her land shares. I might be distantly related to you, and that would mean Im related to the hubbards down the road from me as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 November, 2007 11:14 am
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Tohi Ariki is from Ngati Kahu in the Mangatoatoa district which would indeed include pirongia and piopio area's.

The hubbards as far as I know are all related and descend from Ernest Hubbard or possibly his siblings. It is however possible that a completely different group of hubbards immigrated here also.

Now as for connections to the kingitanga. We were told that our great grand father and his brothers Tohi, Nuku, Te Wanihi and Te Ruinga were body guards for king tawhiao during his exile in the king country bacause of their abilities as covert assassins.

When they returned, Tawhiao gave a grand daughter to marry which ever brother she chose. She chose my great grand father. There is a close connection between the kingitanga and these 4 men however with the passing of time less is known and more remains hidden..

Edited by - matahuru on Dec 17 2007 11:33:31 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 November, 2007 2:30 pm
culturedwahine OWC
(@culturedwahine-owc)

Kia ora ano, I honestly don't know anything about lands or anything but by what Matahuru says it looks like it ay. Looks like we are all related. If you like see if your rellys know my Nana Ema Gwynn (nee Hubbard). I think the Hubbards in Rotorua are my Nana's siblings and their tamariki. Thanks Matahuru for that I must go back and tell the whanau that 1.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 November, 2007 7:26 am
teeta OWC
(@teeta-owc)

Kia ora Matahuru...Just check'n in...hope you've been lookin' after the place while I've been gone.......The NZ Hubbard's descend from a few generations before Ernest.

Re your following comment...
"....Tawhiao gave a grand daughter to marry which ever brother she chose. She chose my great grand father....."
What was the grandaughters name? and who were her parents/grandparents?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 December, 2007 6:50 pm
teeta OWC
(@teeta-owc)

Kia ora culturedwahine...

Re...
"...Kia ora i to am searching for more info about them. That are my tupuna I have access to a few pictures of the Hubbard side and the whakapapa but it is so mixed up i was hoping to have some time to go to the Maori land courts to find more info as i have just started looking again, before i had given up because it was so hard to find i thought i was found under a rock...."

Which part of the Hubbard whakapapa have you found to be "so mixed up"?
What would you find at the Maori Land Court on an English name like Hubbard?

Re...
"...Thanks 4 the speedy reply and the info have you got the whakapapa back from our great grandparents? I was told it is interlinked with the Kingitanga?..."

Who are your great grandparents?
Which part of the whakapapa were you told is interlinked with the Kingitanga?

Your nana has several cousins and two siblings in Rotorua...and indeed throughout both islands..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 December, 2007 7:18 pm
teeta OWC
(@teeta-owc)

[quote]
Tohi Ariki is from Ngati Kahu in the Mangatoatoa district which would indeed include pirongia and piopio area's.[end quote]

Kia ora Matahuru...Are you saying that Tohi Ariki himself is from "Mangatoatoa district" or his tupuna descend from that area? And this is based on...?

btw...my 1952 "guide to every place in New Zealand", doesn't actually show me where "Mangatoatoa district" is....Please enlighten me?

You say that Tohi Ariki was your great grandfathers brother...who were his parents' names?...this would be your 2x great grandparents...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 December, 2007 7:37 pm
teeta OWC
(@teeta-owc)

Kia ora Matahuru....You can jump in at anytime and answer my previous questions!...Sometime before christmas...would give me the christmas present I am hoping for.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 December, 2007 9:33 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora Teeta

Long time no hear from you! haha. I have sent what I know to you by Private message cuzy. As told to me by my elders this information is for relatives only.

Some is sensatiove some is not but I am no means going to decide which is which.

Cheers and if you have any other questions I can help with just PM me ok.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 December, 2007 11:30 am
Share: