Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TOTOREWA, Whatihua = Miriama KEREOPA  

RSS
Roxie OWC
(@roxie-owc)

I'm trying to gather information on my great grandfather WHATIHUA TOTOREWA, and the TOTOREWA Whanau, their hapu, marae ..., as this is one of my missing links. The information I have on his whanau, goes back one more generation to his father who was TE WHANAWHANA TOTOREWA.

When my father passed away a couple years ago, so did the knowledge pertaining to his grandfather.

However I did manage to find out something about WHATIHUA. One of his brothers died before having issues, and as a symbol of his grief (I'm not to sure if this is true or not) all of his (Whatihua) tamariki held his brothers name, TAURANGA as their surname.

I've tired various search engines mentioned within other members trying to trace whanau.

However any information, website/s, search engines ... would be greatly appreciated.

Ma te Atua koutou, e manaaki e tiaki.

Whaia te pae tawhiti kia tata! Whakamaua kia tina!

Posted : 09 April, 2005 1:53 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora Roxie,

Here are a few more suggestions that may help you

Make sure you are at http://whakapapa.maori.org.nz and click on Full Search. Put Totorewa in and then contact the person in the search who takes that Kapa Haka Group who is a Totorewa, they may be able to help you.

http://kina.net/caleb/ has a small bit of whakapapa for the Totorewa Whanau - you may have seen it

[url="http://whakapapa.maori.org.nz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=221&FORUM_ID=3&CAT_ID=2&Forum_Title=Tracing+Tupuna+%28Ancestors%29&Topic_Title=WIRIHANA+%2F+WILSON+whanau%3A+Up+Gisborne+or+Waikato+ways"]This post[/url] mentions the Totorewa Whanau - scroll down til you see Ezykap1 who did the post.

Of course if you have searched the familysearch site you would have found the records there for Totorewa - and doing a search for Tauranga you would have found one of the children of Whatihua Totorewa

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 April, 2005 6:11 am
ngaha OWC
(@ngaha-owc)

Kia Ora Roxie.
My name is Ngaha Tumai, but our origional name is Totorewa too. My great grandfather was Te Hiko Totorewa and my great grandmother was Mate haere, a scotswoman. It was great to find the Totorewa name on this site. We had a family reunion in 1987 at Turangawaewae and about 1500 whaanau turned up. Our great grandparents and grandparents all gew up in the Waikato area of Huntly, Rangiriri & Te Kauwhata. 80% still live in that area still. Unfortunately, I have not heard of Whatihua. There are some Totorewa living in Parihaka, Taranaki too. Kia Ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 April, 2005 7:59 am
romi
 romi
(@romi)

Tena koe
Totorewa was the name given to the child of a union frowned upon by the elders. If there is a koorero which you may have heard that has a similar theme, perhaps that is the avenue to pursue.
My understanding is that this Totorewa (aka Totorewa Te Para) was born in Kawhia Moana and was of Ngati Kiriwai (Tainui). He was alive around 1830-1850 and married Kahikatea.
Other locations where the Totorewa name seemed to have flourished were in Maniapoto and North Taranaki (N.Mutunga / N.Tama) although more research will be needed to authenticate that koorero.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 June, 2005 12:32 am
mindora OWC
(@mindora-owc)

quote:

Kia Ora Roxie.
My name is Ngaha Tumai, but our origional name is Totorewa too. My great grandfather was Te Hiko Totorewa and my great grandmother was Mate haere, a scotswoman. It was great to find the Totorewa name on this site. We had a family reunion in 1987 at Turangawaewae and about 1500 whaanau turned up. Our great grandparents and grandparents all gew up in the Waikato area of Huntly, Rangiriri & Te Kauwhata. 80% still live in that area still. Unfortunately, I have not heard of Whatihua. There are some Totorewa living in Parihaka, Taranaki too. Kia Ora

Hello Nga,
Te Hiko Tumai Totorewa & Matehaere Elizabeth Mackintosh are also my great grandparents. Email me on dorrick123@hotmail.com and I'll give let you know of what I know.
Mindora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 April, 2006 8:28 pm
mindora OWC
(@mindora-owc)

quote:

Tena koe
Totorewa was the name given to the child of a union frowned upon by the elders. If there is a koorero which you may have heard that has a similar theme, perhaps that is the avenue to pursue.
My understanding is that this Totorewa (aka Totorewa Te Para) was born in Kawhia Moana and was of Ngati Kiriwai (Tainui). He was alive around 1830-1850 and married Kahikatea.
Other locations where the Totorewa name seemed to have flourished were in Maniapoto and North Taranaki (N.Mutunga / N.Tama) although more research will be needed to authenticate that koorero.

Te Hiko Totorewa (aka Te Hiko Tumai Totorewa) married Peti Elizabeth matehaere Mackintosh and the era they lived in was anti-english(anti-pakeha) so maybe there was koorero.Not much different to the desires of our kaumatuas of today in some areas don't you think? For whatever reason there was if it wasn't for them I wouldn't be here and I love them for giving me my heritage.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 April, 2006 8:40 pm
motutara1 OWC
(@motutara1-owc)

Kia ora
I am mindoras neice, I was informed that there were two stories in regard to the totorewa name
1 being that a child came from a union between the royal family and a servent, another between a union from someone from a "lesser tribe"
really interesting stuff, better than days of our lives

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 February, 2008 1:34 pm
mkereopa OWC
(@mkereopa-owc)

[quote]
I'm trying to gather information on my great grandfather WHATIHUA TOTOREWA, and the TOTOREWA Whanau, their hapu, marae ..., as this is one of my missing links. The information I have on his whanau, goes back one more generation to his father who was TE WHANAWHANA TOTOREWA.

When my father passed away a couple years ago, so did the knowledge pertaining to his grandfather.

However I did manage to find out something about WHATIHUA. One of his brothers died before having issues, and as a symbol of his grief (I'm not to sure if this is true or not) all of his (Whatihua) tamariki held his brothers name, TAURANGA as their surname.

I've tired various search engines mentioned within other members trying to trace whanau.

However any information, website/s, search engines ... would be greatly appreciated.

Ma te Atua koutou, e manaaki e tiaki.
Hello
I have family with the last name tauranga, they live in melbourne?
, my family only found them a few years ago.so....
Im not sure if this will help you.. But if you think it might. E-mail me and ill see if I can help.
-Morgana

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 April, 2008 4:47 am
Share: