Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TUHAWAIKI  

RSS
te kore OWC
(@te-kore-owc)

I am looking for details on Tuhawaiki(Bloody Jack) 3rd wife Kirihauka or Irikautoa
Thanks for any info.
Te Kore

Posted : 30 November, 2006 9:19 pm
pepe OWC
(@pepe-owc)

Kiaora Te Kore,
I am related to Te Uira, Tuhawaiki's 1!st wife. I understand they were both drowned in 1844.T hey had 2 Children Kihau & Poko who were also drowned later on. I understand there is a book called "king of the Bluff" which should be in the library or if not you could ask them to interloan it for you. Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 November, 2007 10:22 pm
Upokoruru OWC
(@upokoruru-owc)

I wouldn't recommend 'King of the Bluff' it was designed for a Pakeha readership and turns Tuhawaiki into an actor-mouth piece of history.
What you will find is that his father Te Kaihaere's whakapapa is less well knonw than his mother Kuru (~Kura).Not only did she come from Honekai (no Kaai Tahu),but she can also be traced back to Rakiihia , upoko-ariki of Kati Mamoe, and Hakuiao who had Kati-Mamoe and Rapuwai connections.She married the Kati Ruahikihiki figure Te Pahi. Te Kaihaere had connections to the land at the Mataau (Clutha-Molyneux) river mouth area at the Murikauhaka kaik'. He was from Kati Huirapa through Takaoteraki(great.grandson of Tutekawa) and Kohana(daughter of Te Ariki of Kati Huirapa).
Another rendering also shows Te Kaihaere's descent from Takaoteraki's son Te Kuratakiao and Kiteraki, the daughter of Te Weka.All these people are Tutekawa descendants who had strong Waitaha-Kati Mamoe connections as well.It is bizzare that 'History' has favourably leaned on one side of the story to emphasise Kaai Tahu mana.
Te Uira was the cousin of Kingi Ruru Kurupohatu of Kaka Point. If I recall both Tuhavaiki and Kingi Ruru can be counted as distant cousins through their respective Kati Mamoe sides.
All the same we know that Tuhawaiki's son Kihau was said to have 6 toes like his dad.

Edited by - Upokoruru on Nov 10 2007 11:44:12 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 November, 2007 9:03 pm
pepe OWC
(@pepe-owc)

Kiaora korua, Irikautoa was said to be a later wife of Tuhawaiki and it was said that she too drowned on the voyage with Te Uira and him. It was common enough for the tipuna to have multiple husbands/ wives in those days. apparently, he had a wife even before Te Uira and one other son who died in 1839.
I have always understood that Pahi married Piki.
Kura is an aunt of Kurupohatu. Upokoruru, you will be related by marriage to him, through his sister Te akau's marriage to Petimana Rakiraki.These are my own direct lines. Do you have any details on Taare Te Haere who lived at Taeri and Maranuku? He was said to be an uncle to Kurupohatu but I am looking for further info.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 November, 2007 12:22 am
Upokoruru OWC
(@upokoruru-owc)

ae, Petimana Rakiraki is the brother of Puao (Jack) Rakiraki my gr.gr.grandfather. Petimana and Te Akau's living descendants are through their daughter Rora who married a Clifford.
a note I have reads that Kiri Hauka was one of Tuhawaiki's wives and their child was Wharawhara Te Raki .However, this information comes via W.A.Taylor whose whakapapa records have proven to be rather mixed up and unreliable and sometimes a down-right botched-up job!
.Kingi Ruru been Puao's good friend and neighbor and a trained tohuka was rated second best to Taare Tikao of all knowledgable S.Island Maori by Herries-Beattie. although Tikao was very good, at least Ruru didn't make wild speculations about 'other' iwi histories.
Kingi Ruru and Puao used to in their old age spend their nights together around the fire having serious korero about the traditions and whakapapa.Kingi Kurupohatu Ruru's wahine was Meriana Pupu but they had no children.
No Television back then to dull the memory.

Edited by - Upokoruru on Nov 16 2007 11:32:12 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 November, 2007 11:24 am
te kore OWC
(@te-kore-owc)

Ka mihi nui ki a koutou,
I believe that the info I originally received was wrong. Our Kirihauka had a Tane named Tai whose parents were Te Kore and Kanerihi.
Their daughter was Hinekoau. Kirihauka's parents were Te Rehe and Te Anu. Thanks for all your help.

Te Kore

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 November, 2007 12:06 pm
pono OWC
(@pono-owc)
Eminent Member

kia ora

James Tuhawaiki ring the bell?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 November, 2007 1:43 pm
pepe OWC
(@pepe-owc)

Kiaora Te Kore,
Te Rehe was the father of Te Maiharoa by his second wife Kokiro. There were at least two more people at Arowhenua by that name including his half brother, Rakiwhakatia [Te Rehe-hore-hore] & his cousin te Rehe-putete. The former came from Waitaha and Katimamoe lines and led a heke to Omarama in protest of the land sales.
I refer you to a book by Buddy Mikaere called Te Maiharoa and the promised land.
I seem to remember coming across some reference to Te anu as well. If I find it again, I will get back to you.
Ka kite apopo.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 November, 2007 2:18 pm
te kore OWC
(@te-kore-owc)

Kia ora Pepe,
Ae that is right. Te Anu was the elder sister of Kokiri. Thanks for your help.

Te Kore

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 November, 2007 2:22 pm
Upokoruru OWC
(@upokoruru-owc)

Te Rehe-putete's son was Tarawhata whose mother Poti is a descendant of Kanekane one of the daughters of Potikitautahi, the Kati mamoe-Waitaha-Rapuwai chief at Wanaka killed by his relative, "nephew", Te Weka the son of Te Rakitamau and Punahikoia (no Waitaha).
There is some confusion still about the two Te Rehe ancestors. The whakapapa infront of me reads "Na Te Anu ka moe ia Te Rehe[tama o Te Koreke =Te Waiharakeke]tana ko Rakiwhakatia, ko Te Iwitiraha, ko Kirihauka, ko Takatu".
this would suggestively make Te Rehe ,the father of Rakiwhakatia and Te Mahairoa et-al, not to be the son of Ponatukituki and Puruweka as evidenced by many other whakapapa but the "tama" of Te Waiharereke, a descendant of Te Aotaurewa and Te Rakitaurewa. Te Aotaurewa been the sister of Hikaiti the first wife of Te Ruahikihiki and the mother of Taoka!
Te Rehe-horehore (~Te Rehe-atua) had strong Kati Huirapa connections. He was from the whakatutane lines of Wahakai, the son of Te Ariki and also from his daughter Kohana. Te Rehe-horehore also had connections to the Kaai Tahu hapu of Te Ruahikihiki.This would of given him links to Ruapuke Is.where he was born and latter died.
Te Rehe left his two children korako and Matemakarini at Karoro (Kaka Point) with their cousin Haimona Rakiraki who became the local chief.To be exact,Haimona was the first cousin to their mother Kikiro.Their common tipuna been-being their grand-father Te Pananehu the Kati Huirapa ariki at the Waitaki Mouth.
You'll find that the historial significance of Hipa Te Maiharoa's heke to Omarama is not given any mention because everyone is told via the popular Media etc., that Parihaka was the really first Maori pacifist movement when infact the Omarama Heke was about the same time, maybe a wee bit before, Parihaka and they were also busted by the police ad evicted from their lands.But alas anything of historical interest that comes from Te Wahi-Pounamu is ignored by the rest of the Motu only if there is trouble brewing in the TRONT arena does it get any attention!

Edited by - Upokoruru on Nov 17 2007 10:20:10 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 November, 2007 7:16 pm
te kore OWC
(@te-kore-owc)

Ka piki ki to po a Upokoruru,
Many many thanks for what you have passed to me. A kaumatua (Huata)has mentioned Hipa's heke to Omarama and has shown us the mound where his wife died rather than leave the area.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 November, 2007 8:18 pm
Upokoruru OWC
(@upokoruru-owc)

1.F.G.Hall-Jones in 'King of the Bluff' has the following:
"A Bluff informant states that Kihau and Poko were always understood to have been full brothers.Also that the chief's eldest son was Wharawhara-teraki, who died as a youth or young man and was buried up the coast .(This may possibly be connected with the entry in the Harwood Log on 11th.September, 1839:"Bloody Jack had his son burnt.").The mother of this lad-her name was not recalled-was the daughter of Tooke (f),who presented Tuhawaiki in respect of the burial with the famous stone Ka-ore-ore, now in the Southland Museum." (p.134)
Although I don't know of any epidemics in 1839, only in 1835 and few years before at Maranuku (Kaka Point area),if Tuhavaiki's son Wharawhara Te Raki was cremented this implies that he probably died of measles or some other introduced disease.

Now, this Tooke is very likely to be the half-sibling of Te Anu :Hauteihi was the son of Te Pananehu and Tokikoi(Kati Mamoe).Hauteihi ka moe ia Kahukaka tana ko Te Anu;
Hauteihi ka moe ano ia Tuoi tana ko Toke.Na Toke ka moe ia Te Karowetia ana ko Hihere.
Haimona Rakiraki is a first cousin to Te Anu and Toke.
Since the Taylor records state that Kirihauka was the mother of Wharawhara Te Raki ,the relationship of this "Tooke" to the "mother" of Wharawhara Te Raki is koka (kookaa=aunty/mother) or aunty.
Toke was buried in the urupa at the ancient kaik' Murikauhaka at the mouth of the Mataau (Clutha River) before it was washed away.

2.In varous Native Land Court Minute Books Te Anu is the mother of Iwitira who married a Taiwairua and had Merekihirehe Hape and Waewae.
Engari, another record has a Te Rei as the parent of Tewitiria followed by Merekihereke Hape appearing to make the latter a distant cousin of John Kihau.This 'Te Rei" goes back to Kapuara, a name I am not familiar with.
Te Anu and Te Rehe are the parents of Iwitiraha.
This goes to show that Native Land Court evidence was sometimes willy-nilly or in some cases I have studied they are down right deceptive!

Edited by - Upokoruru on Nov 16 2007 7:22:26 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 November, 2007 2:05 pm
pepe OWC
(@pepe-owc)

Kia ora Te kore,
I have four whakapapa relating to Te Maiharanui and Kokiro which you may be interested in. If you would like a copy let me know and I will email it to you as I am of the old school which doesn't allow me to publish too much detail of whakapapa on the net and to ensure it only goes to those it truly belongs to.
Ka kite apopo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 November, 2007 3:08 pm
te kore OWC
(@te-kore-owc)

Ka mihi nui ki a Pepe,
many many thanks for that. my email address is
chiso@xtra.co.nz

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 November, 2007 12:55 pm
Share: