Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TUPU, Huiarangi and KAWHI, Kareti: Trying To Find My Whakapapa!  

RSS
measures@xtra.co.nz OWC
(@measuresxtra-co-nz-owc)

Please can anyone help me find and put together our Wahakpapa?

My Name is Judy Measures - Nee Worthington
My Mum deceased 2yrs November this year Margaret Erina Worthington - Nee Kawhi.
I have 7 other sisters and 2 brothers.

Among my mothers paper work that she had passed on to me before she passed contained a Death Certificate of her Dad: Huiarangi Tupu Kawhi - Oneroa - Waiheke Island. Tribe - Ngati Mahuta - Maori of full blood.
Mums Mother:Rangitana Kawhi - Oneroa - Waiheke Island - Tribe - Ngati Paoa - Maori of full blood.
There seem to be a connection to a Hariata Pihema to my mum margaret and mums other 2 sisters Ripeka and Te mamae whom are also deceased.
Please Help Us.

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Mar 07 2005 10:38:28 PM

Posted : 26 November, 2004 3:32 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora measures@xtra.co.nz

Do the papers also have your Mums Mother's maiden name?

Can you or your whanau remember your mum mentioning whanau names (surnames) when you were younger? Maybe she mentioned other relations also?

The more names and surnames you can give, the greater the chances are of finding more info

[url="http://www.maori.org.nz/papa_panui/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=247&FORUM_ID=3&CAT_ID=2&Forum_Title=Tracing+Tupuna+%28Ancestors%29&Topic_Title=Help+Anyone+with+our+Whakapapa+Search%3F%3F&whichpage=1&tmp=1#pid487"]Here[/url] is another post on the same topic - just added the link in to tie it all up

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Dec 18 2004 2:17:06 PM

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2004 1:57 pm
measures@xtra.co.nz OWC
(@measuresxtra-co-nz-owc)

Thank you for your reply. I have got the names of my granfathers death certifate which I have stated. My mothers maiden name is Kawhi. Please contact me by my e-mail so I can open up more information too you. This would be regarding shares in land in the north Island.

Awaiting your reply.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 December, 2004 3:54 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ano

Shares in land are done through the Maori Land Court (MLC) and that is the best place to find whakapapa, as each hearing, when a succession goes through will have listed the relationships as well as who gave the info.

If you trace the hearing dates for your Grandparents when their shares were succeeded to, there will be whakapapa info there. Likewise, you can trace the hearing when your grandparents succeeded (from their parents) and there will be whakapapa info there also.

It will depend which area in the North Island the land is in as to which set of MLC Minute books will have the info.

You could go to a Maori Land Records office to search for the names and there will be the MLC minute references which will make it easier to get the right books

If you have your grandmother's maiden name, that will also help with the MLC records.

Also, where there any kaumatua that were at your mother's tangihanga that may also be able to help you out?

I have also sent you an email.

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 December, 2004 12:44 pm
Lil OWC
(@lil-owc)

You can contact Oneroa Pihema, his sister's name is Hariata Pihema, they are delegates for Te Arohanui Marae in Mangamuka. His mumber is (09) 401 9934.
I hope this helps you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 January, 2005 1:12 pm
Pikirangi OWC
(@pikirangi-owc)

Kia ora

My name is Mike and I am a new member. As I was browsing through whakapapa looking for whanau on my fathers side I came across two names in your search for whanau HUIARANGI and KAWHI .HUIARANGI is my tupuna, KAWHI also comes up in my whakapapa either as Kaa or KAWHI.

Here is my pepeha.
Ko Tainui toku waka
Ko Taupiri toku maunga
Ko Waikato toku awa
Ngati Mahuta toku haapu
Ko Waikato toku iwi
Ko Taniwha toku marae
Ko Michael Pikirangi Tahu taku ingoa

Here is some of the Whakapapa from HUIARANGI
HUARANGI=Te Kiriwai
Tumohe=Te Wehenga
HUIARANGI ll=Pareuru