Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Waaka - Ngamira  

RSS
Becks06 OWC
(@becks06-owc)

kia ora koutou

has anybody heard of these two last names?? My great grandmother Tangi Waaka - Ngamira also has this lastname but that;s about all i know. if you have any info please email me as i am really anxious to find out

kia ora

mohaka_girl@optusnet.com.au

Posted : 12 August, 2006 4:26 pm
lionel OWC
(@lionel-owc)

Kia ora my name is Lionel Edmonds my mother is nan inia my mother was adopted by birth to the inia whanau from the waaka whanau of huntly her mother is mihi waaka

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 August, 2006 10:58 am
Becks06 OWC
(@becks06-owc)

Kia ora lionel

i just remembered that somewhere along the line my great grandmother is also from the tuhoe region but is buried in Wairoa. I think waaka is the maori name for walker. Do you think your mum and my ggrandmother are related?? I remember my mum use to say that they were brought up in huntly, wonder if our family knows one another??

thanks heaps for your reply, if you have any other info could you please email me??

mohaka_girl@optusnet.com.au

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 August, 2006 11:17 am
Manawa_Timu_Ngaati_Kahungunu
(@manawa_timu_ngaati_kahungunu)

kia ora ripeka

from the way that inoa is spelt it might be a WAIKATO inoa?
from what a kaumatua from Nai Tuuhoe said today at the Maori Queens(r.i.p)tani that "Tuhoe have links to Waikato but some disagree,and dont believe but in time it will reveal".

koena pea he tohu no Waikato koe?
heyy Kuhzy its Riki Puki Tohuna konei LOL
kei au na inoa o na matua o ta maua matua tipuna
a Wairini me Iraia,ka tuku au he kape o te whakapapa ano maau,VIA mail
Koena taku Korero mo tenei wa kia pai to research ile c what i kan sus out for us.do you kno what Marae Nanny Tani was From In Tuuhoe?

hei kona Kuhzy kia pai to research
noho ora mai

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 August, 2006 2:00 am
maorinative46 OWC
(@maorinative46-owc)

kia ora. my mum was a waaka/walker from Kaitaia
same whanau?? i know there where walkers from rangiriri the tupuna coming from kaitaia,ngati kahu te aupouri

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 August, 2006 7:39 am
Becks06 OWC
(@becks06-owc)

i'm not sure?? i don't really know much bout my great grandmother, that's why i'm searching through this website. all i know is shes from (i think?) the east coast, kahungunu rohe and tuhoe. I'd say it's gonna be a hard search cos there's probably heaps of whanau with that last name but ain't related. I know she had a sister in Mahia called nanny Dyna Ihu.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 August, 2006 6:38 pm
allikat1 OWC
(@allikat1-owc)

Kia Ora Becks, what was your great-grandmother's name? I knew Aunty Dyna from Mahia, she brought up my half-brother Peter Walker. My name is Allister Walker; now my father was a Walker from Te Kaha and my mum has Walker on her birth certificate as well (hopefully mum and dad were'nt whaanau) from Wairoa.

Mum was very close to another sister, Aunty Ina Hamilton, There was also another sister Dorothy, who lived in Paraparaumu. I went to Aunty Ina's tangi at Ruataniwha marae in 1992. That was where I first saw/heard the name Waaka Ngaimra. My cousin Mike Walker told me that was my grandfather's real name and they changed it to Hone Waaka as they (pakeha schoolteachers) could not pronounce it.

You see, all the kuia I have talked about + brothers Johhny and Scotty Walker are supposed to be my mother's half brothers and sisters, having the same father, Waaka Ngamira. Actually Mum's name on her birth certificate is Kathleen Mera.

However, on Aunty Ina's death bed, she told two of my sister's that our real grandfather was a Gemmell from Mohaka. Some of Aunty's whaanau have said that she was delusional, but I am not so sure. I believe my Aunty still had all her marbles at the end as she had not been like that at all during her sickness.

I hope this has helped, I haven't been back to Wairoa since my mum's 60th birthday, 7 ears ago but I know that I have to get down there and get searching.
Ka Kite
Allister

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 October, 2006 11:35 pm
Raw OWC
(@raw-owc)

Kia Ora BECKS..My dad was originally a WALKER, but changed his name to WAAKA. his dad's name was Scotty (KATI) WALKER from WAIROA i don't really know all that much about my koro, but that is my next search.

Kia Ora Koe

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 October, 2006 4:08 pm
Raw OWC
(@raw-owc)

Kia Ora Allikat, I think if it is the right Scotty also known as (Kati) Walker who was from Wairoa he was also described as Quarter european. Was my dad's father my dad was the only child from Kati & Kerenapu KINGI my dad had many half brothers & sisters Peter WALKER, Johnny WALKER, his other half siblings were KINGI'S. My dad's name was Wiremu Pani WAAKA, he changed his name from WALKER to WAAKA, when he was much younger. My dad was born in Ruataniwha in 1932. He left his dad at a young age and went to live with his aunty in Maihia where he attended the Maori School there before it was closed down.
When i saw your Post i cried because you are the closest person i have ever gotten too the even had an 'inkling' to my dad and i strongly believe that somehow you may be a connection in my father or his father's whanau.I would be very interested to know where that connection could take me and my siblings regarding our Whakapapa search.
Kia Ora Koe & God Bless You.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 October, 2006 4:35 pm
Riki_Puki_Iraia OWC
(@riki_puki_iraia-owc)

KIA ORA WHANAU

I KNO OF A KINGI WHANAU FROM TUHOE OPOTIKI AREA,IF ANY CONNECTION I DONT YET KNO BUT I CAN FIND OUT A.S.A.P,HOWEVER FOR MY GREAT NAN TANGI WAAKA NGAMIRA WAS BORN IN THE LATE 1800'S PAST AWAY IN THE EARLY 30'S AS SHE WAS MOST LIKELY IN HER 30'S WHEN PAST AWAY SHE WAS A WIFE TO PARAMENA TUDOR NICHOLSON AND HAD MY NAN FRANCES PARANIHIA IRAIA(Nee)NICHOLSON(born)1922,TANGI WAAKA IS SIAD TO HAVE BEEN FROM HUNTLY, WAIKATO,TUHOE,AND RAISED IN HUNTLY HAD A SISTER IN MAHIA CALLED DYNA IHU?BURIED IN RUATANIWHA(WAIROA),LIONELS MOTHER(NAN INIA) WAS A WAAKA AT BIRH BUT WAS WHANGI'D TO THE INIA FROM THE WAAKA WHANAU IN HUNTLY AND INIA'S MOTHERS NAME IS MIHI WAAKA.ALLIKAT HAD HURD THAT AT HIS NAN "INAS" TANGI IN RUATANIWHA IN 1992 THAT HIS GRANDFATHERS FIRST NAME IS WAAKA NGAMIRA.HOW DO YOU TAKE THAT I DO'NOT KNO.DOESE IT MAKE SENCE?

well i think close connection/
HEI KONA WHANAU

Edited by - Riki_Puki_Iraia on Nov 08 2006 10:37:30 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 November, 2006 10:34 pm
d.taoho OWC
(@d-taoho-owc)

Hi Beck my name is Diana Waaka I am name after nanny Dyna Ehu from Wairoa. I am from Huntly my dad is TeRangimarie Waaka his mother is Mita(pepe)Waka who is a sister to nanny Dyna Ehu from Mahia,Ena Hamilton, and her brothers are Scotty Walker and Johnny Walker.They are all the same whanau from TeKaha.Do you know their parents name. Are they halfcast, because my dad is very fair. Like to know their parents name.Love to here from you

Diana(Dyna)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 January, 2007 8:43 pm
d.taoho OWC
(@d-taoho-owc)

Kia ora whanau
Loinels mum is my sister.She was bought up by our mother brother Blue Inia and his wife Hine Wilson.Our dad Te Rangimarie Waaka is from Wairoa,our mum Mihitaurngi Inia is from Waahi Marae Huntly.Our dad left Wairoa with his parents at a young age. They move to Fielding,from there to Opiki then to Foxton,along to Ratana then Otaki back to Opiki.He got a job on the railways and travell towards the Waikato region and met our mother. They got marry in Opiki(1947).He never went back to Wairoa.He's not well at the moment. I would appreciate some information on our granmother parents,and also information on all the whanau from Wairoa and Mahia thankyou.

Waikato Whanau
Diana Waaka

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 January, 2007 9:07 pm
allikat1 OWC
(@allikat1-owc)

Kia Ora all, there's just something I need to clear up here, My grandmother Daisy Gibson was iving with Dyna Ehu and Ena Hamilton's father when he died. My mother was very close to Ena Hamilton, eventhough she told us that she wasn't mum's sister after all.

Scotty (Kaati) and Johnny Walker were not from Te Kaha, as my father is a Walker from there and I would know if they were. Scotty was actually Scottish and had no Maori in him at all(hence the name) as well.

According to Ena's mokopuna Mike Walker, Ena's father was Waaka Ngamira and as the pakeha couldn't pronounce the name properly, his teachers changed it to Hone Waaka, hence Johnny Walker.

Aunty Ena always said her father was Ngaati Kahungunu and from down near Wanganui as well. Aunty's whaanau is staunch Raatana, so I guess there might be someconnectionto that part of the Motu.

Ka Kite Ano
Allister

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 July, 2007 1:40 am
d.taoho OWC
(@d-taoho-owc)

could you send a email to polk.dot@hotmail concering waaka-ngamira whanau.

Aunty Dyna maiden name is Waka, her sister Mita also known as Pepe her maiden name is Waka also.

I was name after aunty Dyna my dad's mum sister.

I have a photo of her and my dad taken at my sister 21st birthday.

Their brother Scotty was living in Woodville at that time.

They were all stauch ratana believers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 January, 2008 12:45 pm
Share: