Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

WADE,Charles and WHUNUI Erine  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
kaianna OWC
(@kaianna-owc)

I have very limited information regarding my grandparents my mothers family was born around the rangiriri area and her marae is Ihumatao her name was Ethel Wade and her brothers and sisters were Peter,Queeni,Hippy,todd,dean,and I think 5 others all these people were buried at mangere bridge cemetary.I dont know where to go from there so hopefully I will be pointed to the right direction.
cheers

Posted : 05 April, 2005 3:38 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Tena koe kaianna,

If you go to http://www.familysearch.org and click on the search tab, in the fist name put ethel and in the last name put wade, set the country to New Zealand and click search. You will find a bit of information there. You can also search for other names.

I was also wondering, if the surname is Whunui or Whiunui, as the familysearch site uses the surname Whiunui for the mother of Ethel.

You will also find that the first name for the mother of Ethel is a Maori name, but that does not mean that the info is wrong, as many Maori have more than one name.

I was lucky enough to be invited to have a look at the new Whakapapa Club being setup by maori.org.nz and there is a great section there about Maori Naming conventions and how they work. I have also written a guide there for Searching the Familysearch site, so when that goes live, it will give you more guidelines to awhi (help) you.

However, be aware that info in the familysearch site may not be accurate but it is a good place to start. Any info you find there, confirm from other sources.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Apr 05 2005 04:14:06 AM

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 April, 2005 4:12 am
artecwoman OWC
(@artecwoman-owc)

Kia ora koe Kaianna,

I too was exactly like you I didnt know not one sole of my dads whanau and I too searched and searched to know avail because while I was in Aotearoa I took everything meaning my Reo,our kapahaka, our whanaungatangi I just took everything for granted not thinking that one day I will absolutely miss what I have been taught through the generations and guess what when I finally moved to Australia I realized that I actually missed seeing our people and I longed to hear our Reo been spoken and most of all I missed hearing our kapahaka waiata's so you know if it wasnt for people like Poutokomanawa and maori.org.nz I would still be one of those lost sheep. So kia kaha Kaianna keep searching and dont ever give up you will always get help on this site.

na Inu

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 April, 2005 12:36 am
hinemako OWC
(@hinemako-owc)

kIA ORA kATARAINA

He Whanaunga koe ki a ahau, you are my whanau your Tipuna Whea Ngawari WHUINUI md Charles WADE, I have what ya need but your Ingoa Erine is actually NGAWARI my papa's Sister..
email me
whaiaaipo@xtra.co.nz
ps: your marae is Maurea you HApu Ngati Naho, Ngati Hine (WaiKato)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 September, 2005 1:27 am
romi
 romi
(@romi)

Tena koe Kaianna
Hinemako is correct about the two hapu(s)and marae of your tupuna Ngawari (or Ngaware Whiunui, who married Charles Wade).
Ethel died years ago, but we are kept informed about the rest of the Wade whanau through her daughter Marlene's children.
Kia ora.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 September, 2005 8:50 pm
stubbornforgey OWC
(@stubbornforgey-owc)

OMG....
hi there ..you are correct..the Wade family are part of Ihumatau marae.
There is uncle Peter (blue eyes)..stewart..twins ..ross and russell ...
contact me Kataraina8@hotmail.com
I am directly related to the Wades..very fine looking family with coloured eyes.
Uncle Barnsen was the curator and caretaker for the Maori cemetary in Black Bridge..
Not sure but Stewart was an A.R.A bus driver ..not sure if hes still there.
Most of the Wade family still live around Ihumatau
marae in Mangere, however most of the older uncles have passed on.Aunty Queenie passed away many years ago, not sure about Aunty Hipi though.Contact me and we will chat.
My mother is directly related to this whanau..if you look in the whakapapa you will find us under the spanish side..however its wrong ..our dad was Chilean (Diaz)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 September, 2005 7:01 am
stubbornforgey OWC
(@stubbornforgey-owc)

The wade whanau , many of them stayed on york road papatoetoe (aunty hipi).
I would always work in the whare kai with aunty alice n them ..
there are the heta's...tamanui..ooh theres just heaps of us lol.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 September, 2005 4:03 pm
hinemako OWC
(@hinemako-owc)

Aw ok now I know where Im at basically we are all one whanau Whiunui/Wade dam Charles Waterford Wade (1st) is my whanau connection thru marrige to My Grand Aunt Ngawari cool kia ora whanau
PS I just Met Micheal Wade born and bred in Rarotonga Great grandchild of Charles and Ngawari, he came back serching for our side i met him at my mums lolz was suspect until mum said hes whanau his son stays in Hamilton now man iwas surprised shesh da wade whanau is huge mind you ngawari had a big whanau
MUCH LUV
MAKO

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 September, 2005 5:58 pm
rose OWC
(@rose-owc)

I am overwhelmed by the many replys and the response to think i have whanau out there i dont even know particularly both sides my humble thanx to this website and to the many replies I offer my aroha to you all.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 September, 2005 1:09 am
WadeWantn2FindWhanau OWC
(@wadewantn2findwhanau-owc)

Wow I think you guys could be my Whanau, I was brought up by a friend of the Families but my maiden name is Wade, but I don't know much about my Wade family because of where I was brought up but from what I have been told I am a descendent of Charles Waterford Wade, then he had a Son (if same Whanau) William, then his Son David had a Son Edward and Edwards Son is Anthony who is my Father, can anyone ring a bell to these names, please let me know if you know this part of the family.

I was also told that Charles' Wife was from Rangiriri but I am unsure of her name.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 October, 2005 9:16 pm
hinemako OWC
(@hinemako-owc)

aE E WHANAUNGA KOE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT FANO YOR PAPA CHARLES MARRIED MY PAPA'S SISTA NGAWARI

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 October, 2005 10:59 pm
WadeWantn2FindWhanau OWC

Aw kool!!! I wouldn't mind knowing abit more aye, I was whangai out of the Whanau, I know my biological Whanau (the Wades) but they haven't really told be much more then what I said above. A big kiaora (shout out) to my whanau I hope we get to meet each other one day, that'l be great! I haven't heard to much about my other whanau (Charles Wifes side) but your my whanau so I would love to know more, to put all these connections of whanau together, please keep intouch.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 October, 2005 5:32 pm
Aubry OWC
(@aubry-owc)

I relate to your Wade line, common ancestor is Koroniria. I come through his son, you come thorugh his daughter. My niece is also married to a Wade Reweti (your line) and we all live in Porirua/Tawa, NZ

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 October, 2005 11:45 pm
WadeWantn2FindWhanau OWC

Thats very interesting, please post more information if you are able

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 October, 2005 12:16 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Curious -a question -where did your original Wade name came from? I am searching for info on a John Wade who was in the Bay of Islands 1836 but moved to Manakau 1841, after this he may have settled at Waiheke Island. Same branch or different?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 November, 2005 10:27 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: