Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

WAIPAPA, apanui, RINGAMUTU, apanui  

RSS
rosie.wikotu OWC
(@rosie-wikotu-owc)

I am trying to trace 2 tipuna,Apanui WAIPAPA and Apanui RINGAMUTU they both come from Te Whanau-a-Apanui. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted : 24 April, 2006 8:45 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

ae ra e rosie.

porourangi
haukiterangi
kehutikoparae(f) = manutangirua
hingangaroa
taua

taua lived in uawa and was driven out by his brother hauiti.he and his other brother mahakiewekaroro fled to whareponga,then whangaparaoa.tauas son was apanuiwaipapa.he took hinemahuru as a wife who was a daughter of tumoanakotore.they begat 9 children,the potiki being rongomaihuatahi(f).she took turirirangi to be her husband and they begat apanuiringamutu.

if u want a history from porourangi to apanuiringamutu with whakapapa included i would be happy to email

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 April, 2006 8:55 pm
rosie.wikotu OWC
(@rosie-wikotu-owc)

Thank you very much, and please that would be so very much appreciated if you could please email through to me I would be so very much thankful for that. I am studying my marae in Te Karaka 26kms north of Gisborne, Ko Takipu Marae and this information regarding the whakapapa,we have to whakapapa to the marae that we study and we do whakapapa to that marae through the tipuna that I am searching, Puhaiterangi is the connection to this iwi and she was the sister to Apanui Ringamutu, so if you can email all that please, I will be so grateful.

Rosie.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 April, 2006 11:22 am
rosie.wikotu OWC
(@rosie-wikotu-owc)

kia ora hati nati, I was wondering if you have that whakapapa and history, I am studying my marae and it's due on the 29th may, if you can would it be possible if I could have that information please, thanks you.

ROSIE

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 May, 2006 6:03 pm
peti OWC
(@peti-owc)

Kia ora Rosie,

In the book ERUERA, you will find history/origins and maps relating to Waipapa and Apanui Ringa Mutu. The stories of old were told to Ann Salmond by the highly respected Te Whanau- a- Apanui kaumatua Eruera Stirling. An excellent book for you to get hold of.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 May, 2006 12:10 am
ngati_kuri@hotmail.com OWC
(@ngati_kurihotmail-com-owc)
Eminent Member

Rosie I am so glad you are walking down the right path with Hearty Nati & Peti's help. With our history intact we can move forward. I am particularly interested in what nati wrote as I do not know these names like Uawa, Whareonga etc. Could you tell me where they are?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 May, 2006 11:23 am
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

Kia ora peeps
Thought Id share my understanding of the area names and general locale as much as I can from this korero.
-Uawa is on East Coast, it is Tolaga Bay
-Whare ponga is the name for the East Cape
-Whangaparaoa is an area northwest of Hicks Bay.

Also just to add, I was looking around and wondered if anyone could tell me if Iranui was Taua's father please. Kia ora.

Edited by - edwards.jacqueline on Jun 23 2006 8:49:38 PM

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 June, 2006 8:46 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

kia edwards.jacqueline engari whareponga is the bay afta waipiro and whangaparaoa is cape runaway.

iranui was taua's mother.she was a daughter of tamateapokaiwhenua and his wife iwipupu.iwipupu was of ngati porou:

porourangi
ueroa
ira
tanetokerau
iwipupu = tamatea
iranui = hingangaroa
taua

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 June, 2006 8:29 pm
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

Kia ora Hearty Nati, thanks for that

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 June, 2006 1:31 am
andrei OWC
(@andrei-owc)

quote:

kia edwards.jacqueline engari whareponga is the bay afta waipiro and whangaparaoa is cape runaway.

iranui was taua's mother.she was a daughter of tamateapokaiwhenua and his wife iwipupu.iwipupu was of ngati porou:

porourangi
ueroa
ira
tanetokerau
iwipupu = tamatea
iranui = hingangaroa
taua

Tena koe Haati! I thought Whangaparaoa was the bay next to Cape Runaway, and Tihirau is Cape Runaway.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 December, 2006 9:16 am
Te Paetahi OWC
(@te-paetahi-owc)

quote:

I am trying to trace 2 tipuna,Apanui WAIPAPA and Apanui RINGAMUTU they both come from Te Whanau-a-Apanui. Any help would be much appreciated.

To supplement the korero so far, Apanui Waipapa was actually killed at Uawa area by Kahukuranui, son of Hauiti. His children we bailed up in a pa in the same area but were allowed to escape by climbing out through the paepae hamuti and fleeing east. Eventually, they made it Maraenui where Turirangi was asked to protect them. When Kahukuranui caught them Turirangi fought him and killed him. As payment, Te Aotakaia gave his sister to him as his second wife. From that union was born Apanui Ringamutu and three other brothers. Turirangi had a first family and Puhaoterangi was from that whanau. One of the hapu from the back of Gisborne that comes off that whanau was/is Ngai Te Kete. Turirangi's iwi was Ngariki. Some years after he had married Rongomaihuatahi, she was at Omaio when a taua arrived. She hid in the bushes in case she was killed as a maroro kokoti waka but recognised her brother Te Aotakaia as the leader. She sent her son Apanui out to his uncle and followed him out too. The upshot of that was Te Aotakaia gave mana over the land from Potikirua in the east to Puketapu just east of Whitianga Bay where the Whanau a Tuwahiawa are. His father then gave him mana over the area from Puketapu to Tunapahore wher the Whanau a Haraawaka are. That covers the whole of the rohe of Te Whanau a Apanui. Apanui Mutu had four wives, Kahukuramihiata, Te Whaaki, Kohepare and Kiritapu and from them had a whole lot of kids. He was known by various names and the name Apanui Ringamutu relates to him having his thumb cut off as payment for being given the art of carving by his tipuna Hingangaroa. I hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 January, 2007 8:27 pm
Share: