Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

WAIRAKA: Maori Ancestor  

RSS
Ginseng OWC
(@ginseng-owc)

Kiaora koutou katoa,

Two years ago I went back to my father's hometown of Whakatane where he showed me a statue of a maori woman ancestor by the name of Wairaka. My father says he is a descendant of this woman. I would like to find out more about this woman, her whakapapa, any stories of her life e.t.c. Would dearly love to hear from anyone who could shed some light on this woman.

Tena koutou!

Posted : 30 October, 2004 2:51 pm
kakapo OWC
(@kakapo-owc)

Tena koe Ginseng,

A couple of things I spied whilst looking for other stuff, not a bad read either. Hope it helps out.

Na

Kakapo

History behind the statue,
[url="Ngaiterangi"] http://www.ngaiterangi.org.nz/page11.html[/url]

A little on the whakapapa,
[url="Ngati Awa"] http://www.ngatiawa.iwi.nz/id_2/history.htm[/url]

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 October, 2004 12:40 am
Ginseng OWC
(@ginseng-owc)

I must thank you Kakapo, this info has provided another link that was missing in my life's jigsaw puzzle so to speak =-)not to mention very educational.

Tena koe kakapo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 November, 2004 12:45 pm
loupy OWC
(@loupy-owc)

Kia Ora Ginseng - I lived in Wairaka for many years and still return. Unfortunately, many elders have passed away that could have helped you. Try the Whakatane Museum or Te Runanga o NgatiAwa. Ngati Awa have an archive house in Wairaka with the history. GOOD LUCK! Next time I'm home I'll make some enquiries! Regards - Louise Perrott

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 February, 2005 5:06 pm
pearlau OWC
(@pearlau-owc)

Tena Koe

You may of already found this via the info that kakapo has already given you.

Wairaka was the daughter of Chief Toroa -

Whakatane (to act as a man) - This story springs from the 12th Century Great Migration. The women of the Mataaua Canoe, left to themselves when the men went ashore for the first time, found a waka(canoe) drifting out to sea again.

The paddles were tapu to women, but a high spirited teenager, Wairaka, who was the daughter of Chief Toroa, boldly seized one of the paddles and paddled the waka back to shore. As she did this, she shouted, Ka Whakatane au i ahau:, and her actions saved the women but also coined the name of the town.

A bronze statue of Wairaka stands on a rock at the Whakatane Heads to commemorate this act.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 February, 2005 7:43 pm
Ginseng OWC
(@ginseng-owc)

Kia ora Louise

Thank you for your reply and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kia ora Pearlau

Thank you for taking the time to reply much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 March, 2005 10:55 pm
Lisa OWC
(@lisa-owc)

Kia Ora Koe Ginseng,
Can you please tell me your whanau name, as my mum's whanau is also from Whakatane. My relies are Wharewera, Keepa, Kissling whanau.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 July, 2005 4:28 am
WATTS UP OWC
(@watts-up-owc)

Kia ora Lisa,
My mum is from Whakatane Paroa they are the Pile whanau not far from Taewhakaea Marae and the keepa whanau have a street named after them and believe there maybe still family members living around that area if you check the local directory on the net you maybe able to find your relies there.
cheers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 July, 2005 10:49 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

Tena Koutou

Wairaka was indeed the daughter of Toroa who was the captain of the Mataatua waka which landed at Whangara on the east coast. It came around and landed again at Whangaparaoa not far from the east cape before coming to Te Manuka tutahi at Ohiwa harbour. From there it went to Whakatane which is named after the event where she made herself into a man through karakia to save the waka.

Toroa's younger brother took the waka to the far north after being insulted and his daughter Te Hauangiangi married Tauramoko of Ngai Tahuhu who was a descendant of Kupe. Their son was Rahiri from whom Nga Puhi claim descent.

Toroa's son Ruaihonga had Te Tahinga o te rangi who had Awanui a rangi from whom Ngati Awa trace their descent.

Wairaka married Te Rangi ki tua and they had Tamatea huatahi who married Paewhiti and they had Tuhoe potiki from whom Ngai Tuhoe claim descent.

Lastly, Muriwai who was Toroa's sister married Tama marangai and they had Hine i kauia who wedded Tutamure and from them came the iwi Te Whakatohea.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 September, 2005 10:02 pm
K.Wright OWC
(@k-wright-owc)

Kia Ora Te Whanau,

Can you please confirm for me if Te Hauangiangi had any other children besides Rahiri.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 June, 2006 3:42 pm
maoriboy7@xtra.co.nz OWC
(@maoriboy7xtra-co-nz-owc)

Kia ora ginseng, another good read is the publication by Hirini Mead (1994)"Ngati Awa me ona karangarangatanga - a research report. It speaks of the iwi Ngati Awa and its background inclusive of korero about Wairaka and her wider whanau.

Edited by - maoriboy7@xtra.co.nz on Jul 01 2006 8:07:29 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 July, 2006 8:05 pm
Share: