Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Waitemata, daughter of Iekai ... from NZ to Rarotonga  

RSS
Mystic OWC
(@mystic-owc)

In my husbands whakapapa from Rarotonga states he has an ancestor called Waitemata. According to what is written, Waitemata was a New Zealand Maori whose fathers name was Iekai. My husbands grandmother was born in 1920 and Waitemata would have been her gr gr gr gr gr grandmother. They were told as children that Waitemata most likely came from Gisborne due to the currents etc of the sea. Can anybody please help me with where Waitemata may have came and who her whanau was?

Posted : 19 May, 2006 2:32 pm
trani OWC
(@trani-owc)

My knowledge of Waitemata is that she came from Ngatiwhatua, hence the name of the waitemata Harbour. Waitemata who as a child was taken to Rarotonga and is a direct descendent of my husband who is a Wichman.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 September, 2006 12:01 am
Mystic OWC
(@mystic-owc)

Hi Trani - do you have any more information regarding Waitemata as I only have her name - literally! My partner's mum is also a Wichman who lives in Rarotonga! :o) Am keen to find out more about Waitemata, her tribe etc for our children's whakapapa. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (Also I too am a nurse :0))

Edited by - Mystic on Oct 01 2006 1:50:15 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 September, 2006 11:21 am
Share: