Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

WHAKATAUPOTIKI  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Conquerer of the islands!

Posted : 19 October, 2006 6:37 pm
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Teina to Nganaariki and Reimatua! Reimatua whose descendants are Rapanui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 October, 2006 6:38 pm
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

One of the greatest ancestors in history!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 October, 2006 10:58 pm
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Na Whakataupotiki te kawai hekenga kia te Kuraimonoa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 October, 2006 10:59 pm
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

He Atua he Tupuna!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 October, 2006 11:00 pm
pono OWC
(@pono-owc)
Eminent Member

This not the same tupuna you mention?
whakatau-potiki = Rangaunu
begat Rakataura?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 October, 2006 11:36 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Are you talking about Rapa Nui as in Easter Island? What links are you talking about here? From the whakapapa tables I've seen for the ariki line of Rapa Nui, none of them mention anything about Whakataupotiki....

and I study Rapa Nui language too.

E haka'ite ena au i te vananga Rapa Nui.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 October, 2006 8:16 am
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Lol! Try Reimatua. We had a trip to Noumea, a cultural exchange type of things between the pacific nations. One was Rapanui who the Maori delegation got on really well with. Through discussion the Rapanui people told that they were the senior line, through Reimatua who was the elder brother to Whakataupotiki. It was actually easier to understand them speaking their native reo and us ours.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 October, 2006 9:12 am
superbee OWC
(@superbee-owc)

Kia ora
I am wondering why you have singled out this tupuna who is twenty generations before Kupe and six from Hema o Hawaii.
PI

Edited by - superbee on Nov 03 2006 8:20:46 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 November, 2006 7:56 pm
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Because he is probably the most important tupuna of our people here. Thus so that our paepae is in honour of him, and our direct lineage to him and that i don't believe he is very well recognised. And cos it'd be good to hear ianyone elses knowledge about him

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 November, 2006 8:06 am
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Hm, this is the first time that I've heard about this whakapaparanga in relation to Rapa Nui and our people. How did their rainforest get destroyed? I'm curious because if they were the tuakana then they should have known better and not chopped down all of their trees.....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 November, 2006 11:55 am
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

By tuakana, you have to look way back through lines. Our interconnectedness throuhout the islands is unquestionable but our traits are unique to our own. Just because they are tuakana to Whakataupotiki doesnt mean that they have to act and be the same as us. Obviously we are not the same as the ancestors we left on the islands...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 November, 2006 12:16 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

quote:

By tuakana, you have to look way back through lines. Our interconnectedness throuhout the islands is unquestionable but our traits are unique to our own. Just because they are tuakana to Whakataupotiki doesnt mean that they have to act and be the same as us. Obviously we are not the same as the ancestors we left on the islands...

I'm not questioning the connectedness at all, but rather, where those connections are made (since, if Whakataupotiki lived in Hawaiki, in Rangiatea, that would then legitimise what the Tahitians have been saying - that the Rapa Nui are a part of their people who left many eons ago). I'm just sceptical because everywhere else in Polynesia we managed to ensure that we looked after the environment. What went wrong on their island, is what I'm curious about.

Plus, the linguistic evidence suggests that the language spoken on Rapa Nui, has a lot of conservative features not found in NZ Maori (or in any Eastern Polynesian languages). I find this subject about Rapa Nui rather fascinating.

Edited by - tane_ariki on Nov 03 2006 12:35:14 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 November, 2006 12:29 pm
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Sorry, thought we were going at it again! Lol

Um yes it is quite fascinating.

Is there evidence of any outside influences affecting these people?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 November, 2006 12:40 pm
Retimana OWC
(@retimana-owc)
Eminent Member

Aroha Mai taiga and tane ariki,

Aue korua! I've noticed your membership 'seniority' on this site and the wide spectrum of your korero within this forum.

Forgive a mere mortal for asking but are these 'exchanges' between you about or 1-up-man-ship

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 November, 2006 1:12 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: