Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

WINIATA !  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
funnymoney OWC
(@funnymoney-owc)

im looking for info on a maori chief around the time of 1850's by the name of Chief Winiata
his sister married a irish man.. any info would b good,
i've searched the net inside out for it. its legit
my grandmother : newell, catherine maiden name gray from dunedin born 1927

Posted : 09 March, 2006 2:10 am
clivet
(@clivet)

Which Winiata - Winiata from Taihape, Raetihi, otaki to name a few?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 May, 2006 8:01 pm
Becks06 OWC
(@becks06-owc)

Kia ora i'm a nicholson from levin, otaki ways and also Hawkes Bay. The winiata whanau in Hawkes Bay came from our whanau and pretty much the same as the one's in Otaki. If your searching for the same whanau as the one's in Otaki you just contact the Maori University that's there because it's Professor Winiata that run's it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 May, 2006 9:31 pm
kiriwai
(@kiriwai)

Kiaora
My GG,koro (whom in his own right was a chief to us) from Taihape had a sister, but she didn't marry a pakeha. The Winiata whanau in Raetihi are from Taihape also and there is also another whanau from Raetihi who went under their father's christen name (Winiata) and they are whanau to my mother's side. Then the Winiata whanau in Levin are whanau to my children's father, tipuna (Winiata Pataka). And then some of the whanau in Kahungunu originate from my GGKoro'brothers and sister, some of the whanau to name such as the: Rarere, Keepa, Rapana, Ataria,Karitiana, Tanguru,just to name a very few. Then I know there a some up north but I don't know about them. Somebody else may want to add on from here.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 May, 2006 6:59 pm
clivet
(@clivet)

Kia ora Kiriwai

My GGG Koro, Winiata Kakahi from the kuia Hinekoropango of Ngati Tara & Ngati Tamakana also was a chief, we are the whanau you speak of from Raetihi, who went under our GGG Koro's first name Winiata. Kia ora Winiata of Taihape, Kia ora Winiata Pataka of Levin/Otaki.

At the moment we are involved in land issues with the crown and seek the return of our lands and the right to care for our mountain, Mt Ruapehu.

The families of Winiata Kakahi in Raetihi have intermarried throughout the area.

'Funnymoney', you mention Gray, it may be off the track but there are Grey/Kerei families in the area. Maybe just a little for info may help.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 May, 2006 10:50 am
kiriwai
(@kiriwai)

Kiaora Clive
do I know you, are you from Auntie Martha and Auntie Nita's dad's side. And I only just read about the Land Issues from the Maori News website last night, so I will keep in touch with the whanau up there, and hope to come to some of the court sitting up there as well. kiaora for your feedback

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 May, 2006 5:17 pm
clivet
(@clivet)

Kiaora Kiriwai

No I'm not from Auntie Martha & Nita's dad Kauhanga but from Kauhanga's older sister Hinemata. Hinemata had two boys, and i'm from the younger boy Moke (Smoke).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 May, 2006 9:40 pm
SIENNA OWC
(@sienna-owc)

You may be looking for Wynyard. There was a tupuna named Te Whaaro Winiata who married a Peeti Mokopuna who was a Hamutana, and there are many whanau that come off that line. her father was a Scotsman, apparently.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 May, 2006 9:05 am
kiriwai
(@kiriwai)

Kia ora Sienna
the tupuna (Winiata Te Whaaro) you have mention are the ones that I am referring to in my panui above, they are the parents of my grandfather.
I know some of the Hamilton Whanau living here in Whanganui-A-Tara, and met many more at the Tuaropaki Hui back in March 06, it was neat, first time been there and enjoyed every minute.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 May, 2006 2:23 am
kiriwai
(@kiriwai)

Kia Ora Clive
I think this is great that we can share whakapapa like this, yeah its Auntie Martha & Auntie Nita's, mum who is a sister to my grandmother , one of their nieces live here in Porirua, that I see often.
Kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 May, 2006 2:41 am
clivet
(@clivet)

Kia Ora Kiriwai
Which Taurerewa is she?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 May, 2006 5:45 am
kiriwai
(@kiriwai)

Nanny Te Rua

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 May, 2006 11:30 pm
clivet
(@clivet)

Kia Ora Kiriwai
Which husband are you off, Jimmy Ponga or Te Wano?

By the way, I have run into Sonny Hiro, now residing in Lower Hutt. His nanny is Te Rua.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 May, 2006 3:35 pm
kiriwai
(@kiriwai)

Kia Ora Clive
From Teihorangi Ponga and yes I must give Sonny a visit now that you mention him, I forgot he was there, as I live in Porirua, yeah thats our Nanny

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 May, 2006 12:07 am
clivet
(@clivet)

Kia Ora Kiriwai

Your G-Grandmother Te Kahu (W)Harariki is the sister to my Kui Mere, amongst others their older brother is Te Wano 1st. His 2 children are Takahuri & Hinehoro.
Do you know if Te Wano the 2nd is off Hinehoro the koro of Sonny?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 May, 2006 8:26 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: