Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

winiata  

RSS
funnymoney OWC
(@funnymoney-owc)

im related to a chief winiata, from the 1800's
was he from northern tribes?

coz im from dunedin, just wondered what iwi he was from
coz if i can prove my whakapapa, i could register.. how phat!
someone in my ancestry married the sister of a chief, (chief winiata) so her father would have been a chief also.

any one know of what iwi , a chief winiata would have been with?

get sick of being called bro, with out knowing my roots to back it up
thanks!

Posted : 02 March, 2008 4:09 am
kiriwai
(@kiriwai)

Our Winiata is from the Taihape area from the 1800's, he does have descendants in Dunedin. Don't know bout the Northern ones though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 March, 2008 12:57 pm
Nani OWC
(@nani-owc)
Eminent Member

Winiata is synonomous with the Otaki area of the Ngāti Raukawa iwi. Theres a lot of research available & you could start with emailing Dr Whatarangi Winiata who IS Te Wānanga o Raukawa. He is also the President of the Māori Party.
Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 March, 2008 6:52 pm
kiriwai
(@kiriwai)

My partner's grandmother was a Winiata from Otaki and we would have known if her brother/s was a chief for as far as we know of. She would be a Great, Great Grandmother to our mokopuna.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 March, 2008 11:14 pm
kiriwai
(@kiriwai)

Kia Ora funnymoney, I thought I met you b4, (like I mean on here), well no we have not yet come across a Chief Winiata yet, not that I've made any enquires since then.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 March, 2008 11:34 pm
Share: