Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

WIRIHANA / WILSON whanau: Up Gisborne or Waikato ways  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS
arohaa OWC
(@arohaa-owc)

HI
Hunting for some whanau out there. My Gt Koro was Tawa Wirihana who married Haromi Poipoi. Their daughter Arawhita/Ani Wirihana was my nanny...she went on to marry Jack Pomana from Nuhaka. Arawhita had a brother called Teddy...looking for any whanau members.

Edited by - Y2ranga on Mar 16 2005 12:54:08 AM

Posted : 15 November, 2004 9:31 pm
artecwoman OWC
(@artecwoman-owc)

Kia Ora Aroha

Could you please tell where did your Koro come from as there are
alot of wilson/Wirihana whanau's and they are scattered through out
NZ so if you could provide us with this information it will help
a great deal

Naku noa na Inu

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 November, 2004 12:02 am
daveketi OWC
(@daveketi-owc)

there are some whanau based around Matamata,cabridge, all of ngati Haua,ngati Raukawa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 November, 2004 10:53 am
arohaa OWC
(@arohaa-owc)

Hi...I'm pretty sure Tawa came from up Bay of Plenty way...next time I talk to Mum I'll find out.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 November, 2004 9:08 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora arohaa

At [url="http://www.maori.org.nz/papa_panui/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48&FORUM_ID=2&CAT_ID=2&Topic_Title=Pereniki%2FAmai++Whanau&Forum_Title=Finding+Whanau+%28Family%29"]this post[/url] by Ginseng at the Papa Panui is information about the Poipoi whanau.

Also, let us know if you can where the Wirihana whanau come from as I found an interesting korero about a Wirihana born at Paretitaha Pa in the early 1850s.

Good Luck!

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Nov 20 2004 4:11:26 PM

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 November, 2004 4:03 pm
ringo.deane OWC
(@ringo-deane-owc)

Kia Ora,
Yes there are Wilsons from around Waharoa(Waikato).Also the King country way or to be specific,now living in Hamilton.....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 November, 2004 11:01 am
Pura OWC
(@pura-owc)

Tena kue Arohaa,my maternal grandmother was Ruahine Maata Te Kira nee Wilson.Laid to rest in Gizzie.Her mother's name was Katarina Wilson.My mother was born in Tuparoa but we have lands in Mataoroa Bay,a bit further up.Any help?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 November, 2004 1:44 am
Matua_T OWC
(@matua_t-owc)

Tena koe, Arohaa.
Back in the late seventies, one of my Houes Masters at Tipene was a George Pomana. I'm sure he told us he was from the coast.
The last i heard he was doing some pretty awesome stuff (Reo, Kapa Haka) at James Cook High in Manurewa. Whether he's still there or not, aua hoki.
Can always give them a bell, sure theyd awhi.
Kia kaha tonu.
Mauri ora!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 November, 2004 4:10 pm
arohaa OWC
(@arohaa-owc)

Hi...yes George is whanau...but he is on another line and not descended from the Wirihana whanau that I am after...thanks though
Aroha

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 November, 2004 9:03 pm
Pura OWC
(@pura-owc)

Kia ora,Arohaa.Just bin havin' a korero with my sister in Gizzie and our grandmother,Ruahine Maata Te Kira nee Wilson is buried at Muriwai in Gisborne.Her mother was Katarina Horanga Wirihana.Still sussin' out my own whanau,my Pakeha side have a family tree but the Maori side have a family forest.Kia kaha,kia toa,kia mana wanui.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 December, 2004 12:53 am
arohaa OWC
(@arohaa-owc)

Thanks for your fulla's help...I'm gonna ring my Mother tonight and try and pry some more info from the depths of her memory.....wish me luck
Aroha

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 December, 2004 9:10 am
artecwoman OWC
(@artecwoman-owc)

Kia Ora Arohaa,

I have a friend Peter Wirihana who lives in Auckland NZ and his
grandfather who is Tamati Wirihana came from Pirongia area but I will rack his brains so that I can get more info about this family.

Kia Kaha,
Kia manawa nui.

Na Inu

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 December, 2004 1:12 am
royal OWC
(@royal-owc)

Kia Ora Aroha
My grandfather was Te Whero Wirihana, Maurea is our Marae 'round huntley way. Not sure where our link is but it will be there somewhere. Will ask mum.
Kia ora Cuz
Good luck on your search

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 February, 2005 10:53 pm
Ginseng OWC
(@ginseng-owc)

Kia ora Aroha

You mention the Poipoi whanau, I am the grandaughter of Sonia Poipoi, who is Pita Poipoi's daughter. Pita married Winnifred Maude Alderton. I think we were in touch via email about this but I wasn't sure it was the Pita Poipoi that was my nana's father. Hope this is of help to you, we must be related somewhere along the line, hehe. Feel free to email me at CPGA@slingshot.co.nz my email addy had changed since we last chatted.

Gin

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 March, 2005 9:24 pm
Ezykap1 OWC
(@ezykap1-owc)

Kiaora Aroha,

I dont any of the Whakapapa of the Wirihana whanau but I know that their is some at Maurea Marae just by Rangiriri. If you want you could try to locate the Totorewa Whanau and try to get Nana Weka I heard that she was a Wirihana. I was told that there was 3 Wirihana brothers and they all separated, one stayed at Maurea and another went down south but I dont where the last brother went. Anyway I hope this is of good help to you.

Char.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 March, 2005 1:27 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: