Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

WOODBINE, Wahinekino and TE NOKE  

RSS
razer OWC
(@razer-owc)

Text
I am searching for information about a tupuna named Wahinekino WOODBINE. It is said that her father was Te Noke from Mahia, that she worked at Government House in Auckland and had a child by Robert Henry Wynyard [Col]. One theory is that the father of the child [Henare Wynyard] may have been one of Col Wynyard's sons instead. Other names mentioned are Mary Ann Nuki Benson or Sampson or Mereana Mari Ani Tahora? Henare Wynyard is my Gr Gr Gr Grandfather. I understand Wahinekino Woodbine is buried at Mahia.

Edited by - razer on Aug 29 2005 8:29:54 PM

Posted : 29 August, 2005 8:28 pm
Barbara OWC
(@barbara-owc)

There is some history of the Woodbine's family who lived at Muriwai, (Gisborne) They owned land there in the early 1900's. You may be able to get info from the Ngai Tamanuhiri Trust in Gisborne, or information from the Library a book called "History of Poverty Bay".

Kia ora

Barbara

Kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 August, 2005 10:32 am
Aubry OWC
(@aubry-owc)

The Pomare whanau in Hongoeka Porirua are descendants of Miria Woodbine...give them a go

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 November, 2005 8:43 pm
a.giacon OWC
(@a-giacon-owc)

I am also a descendent of Mary Anne Keno.
She has several names, as married Captain George William Sampson, first ( my tupuna) Then Col Wynyard later I beleive. Te Noke was in fact female. Her father was Captain Benson. My Great grandmother was Florence Maude Sampson. I have not heard of the woodbines though?
My Mother knows the details of the Henare connection.
I have a photo of Maryanne Benson/ Kino/ Sampson/ Whenkino/ Nuki. She is buried at the Devenport Cemetary her stone is still standing.
I have more details of you would like to email me . Regards
a.giacon@woosh.co.nz
Regards

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 November, 2006 10:22 am
Sativarh OWC
(@sativarh-owc)

Kiaora Raser

I am a descendent of Wahinekino Woodbine, the theory you speak of is also told within my whanau, both my grandmother's are Wynyard-
I have whakapapa on the Wynyards side - but not much on Wahinekino, my dad just told me she was from around the East coast.

Would be interested to know a bit more about her-

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 January, 2007 9:54 am
a.giacon OWC
(@a-giacon-owc)

Oops I made a mistake, I have since been given copies of papers etc from my Aunty, and Maryanne Benson/ Nuki/ Kino married the Colonels son, Gladwyn John Richard Wynyard ( I have a copy of some legal documents, and a death certificate of Henry John Wynyard, listing them both as his parents. Not the Colonel a all.

I do not have a lot of info on the Wynyard side, as we are descended from the first marriage, but Henry John Wynyard did marry his cousin Ellen Amelia Sampson.

Maryanne Maori whakapapa links her with Rongowhakaata, Kahungunu, and others in this area.
Te Nokes parents were Pakura and Runa.
Pakuras father was Patiki(of the Rongowhakaata). Who was married to Te-Koa( of the Kahungunu).

While on the subject of the Wynyards, I have been contacted by a lady whose Grandmother was Pearl Agnes Wynyard. Does anyone know who her parents were?

Regards

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 January, 2007 9:58 am
Whaeag
(@whaeag)

Kiaora, i am a descendant of Sir Robert henry Wynyard.There are alot of different stories surrounding wahinekino woodbine/maryann etc.
Another relative in Australia has found proof that maryann was with both Gladwyn and his Father at different times .Sir Robert fathered 13 children throughtout NZ, one of these sons was the first chief of the Nga Puhi tribe.My tupuna was Morere bella Aitu (Taranaki),her and Col: Wynyard produced a daughter called Ngapera marore bella Aitu. There is alot of research already done on the Wynyard side of things and many skeletons in the closet too.A reunion for the Wyunyard whanau happened a few years ago where all descendants of Robert henry Wynyard gathered to meet.Whanau came from Australia, canada and Sth Africa as these were the other countries that he helped to colonise and had children throughout.Col: Wynyards sons and nephews all served under him in all these countries, Australia has a Wynyard township etc as does Canada etc.They all come back to Sir Robert Wynyard.We had always understoond maryanne's father to have been a sea captain of some description.I hope this shines some light for you.
Kia kaha

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 April, 2007 11:29 pm
razer OWC
(@razer-owc)

quote:

Kiaora, i am a descendant of Sir Robert henry Wynyard.There are alot of different stories surrounding wahinekino woodbine/maryann etc.
Another relative in Australia has found proof that maryann was with both Gladwyn and his Father at different times .Sir Robert fathered 13 children throughtout NZ, one of these sons was the first chief of the Nga Puhi tribe.My tupuna was Morere bella Aitu (Taranaki),her and Col: Wynyard produced a daughter called Ngapera marore bella Aitu. There is alot of research already done on the Wynyard side of things and many skeletons in the closet too.A reunion for the Wyunyard whanau happened a few years ago where all descendants of Robert henry Wynyard gathered to meet.Whanau came from Australia, canada and Sth Africa as these were the other countries that he helped to colonise and had children throughout.Col: Wynyards sons and nephews all served under him in all these countries, Australia has a Wynyard township etc as does Canada etc.They all come back to Sir Robert Wynyard.We had always understoond maryanne's father to have been a sea captain of some description.I hope this shines some light for you.
Kia kaha

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 September, 2007 12:09 am
razer OWC
(@razer-owc)

quote:

Kia kaha

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 September, 2007 12:10 am
Mike Karpik
(@mike-karpik)

I am trying to find the whakapa of Mary Ann Nuki (Benson, Sampson). Can anyone help? Cheers, Mike

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 September, 2018 8:05 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora @mike-karpik

It may be best if you start another post in the Tracing Tupuna forum with the title

NUKI, BENSON, SAMPSON, Mary Ann: Looking for Whakapapa

As this is an old post with the title for WOODBINE, Wahinekino and TE NOKE so by creating a new one with the name of who you are looking for in the title means that people who know that name will be able to see it straight away. With your request in this post people who have other info about Mary Ann may miss seeing your request and in turn you may miss out on other info 🙂

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 September, 2018 9:56 pm
Mike Karpik
(@mike-karpik)

Kia ora, I will follow your advice. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 September, 2018 10:06 pm
Share: