Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

WRATHEL, Rose. gr8 gr8 grandmother from Mangonui, Northland. needing more info  

RSS
curlygirl OWC
(@curlygirl-owc)

hi, i have only in the last few years learnt of my Maori heritage and am searching and hiting brick walls. I know that Rosina ruth harriet amelia Wrathell (b-1876 in Mangonui) was my gr8 grandmother and she married her first cousin thomas allen Wrathell. not sure of dates. her father Stephen john wrathell (born 1846) married (M-1870) elizabeth wells (b-1848) and built the Mangonui hotel (still used). one of the twelve children rosina and thomas had was Delia victoria adella Wrathell (born 1911) who moved to Auckland and Married Stanley denby Coggan in the late twenties. they had an only child, my father, Denby Stanley Thomas Coggan (born 1933). he passed away two years ago. I have discovered that Maori from the Mangonui area are Ngati Kahu iwi, am i trying to find out what my tupunas Marae would have been. i would like to go back there someday soon and take my children there. if anyone could help that would be great. thanks.

Posted : 08 June, 2005 8:44 pm
witewhiu OWC
(@witewhiu-owc)

Tena koe,Ae! he kotahi tatou.A statement expressed by Hobson.1840.History will protray the
untold amount of consented and non-consented mixed relationships that occurred in this area.
If you are family with financial security then you probably find that you would have more relations that you bargain for.Or you could keep it low key.And email me aa coz!I could find a
whakapapa for you.Try ngati-biscuit or ngati-kapene kuki.
Blessings!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 June, 2005 9:09 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Tena koe curlygirl,

Do you know which one of your g grandparents had maori blood? Also, if you know any other names that they went by, aliases, nicknames, Maori names then post them here which will help in the searching

Kia kaha, be strong!

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 July, 2005 1:15 pm
Share: