Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

ANO HATO (old photograph found in a shed)  

RSS
Tuwhenua OWC
(@tuwhenua-owc)

Kia ora everyone

Well, just for something a little different i want to tell you about something that happened to me earlier this year. I was cleaning out a shed in our old whanau home and after sorting through old papers i found some old photographs. One was of a man and a woman by some rocks. They are both wearing piupiu's. Its a very good pic, and on the back written in faded pencil was written ' anohato and husbin'. I started wondering who the couple were and after several dead ends i changed anohato into Ano Hato. After more research i found this in ' Te Ao hou' Magazine from the summer of 1954.
' Mrs Pahau Ratoni - ' Ano Hato '
The well known singer Miss Ano Hato died in the Rotorua Hospital in December after a long illness.She was 47.
Miss Hato who in private life was Mrs Pahau Ratoni, became a prominent singer in duets with her cousin Mr Dean Waretini, a tenor with whom she made recordings in english and in maori.
She sang at the reception for the Duke and Duchess of York in 1927.
Her husband died while a prisoner of war during World War 2.'
Like i said, its something just a little different. 🙂

Posted : 11 December, 2007 6:03 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Wow thats an amazing story..

The photo is obviously the original since it had the writing on the back. Any idea how it may have come to be at your family home?

Did your parents know either Ano or Dean?

Have you tried to find any living descendents in order to return the photo?

I personally have never heard of her but Dean Waretini well most maori over 30 would know him from his famous rendition of the song 'the bridge'

Ae tika, that was indeed something a little different..

Cheers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 December, 2007 6:20 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Kia ora mo tena korero rereke, ka ohorere au i tena i te mea ehara tena tu ahuatanga i te ahuatanga e tupu ana ia ra ia ra...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 December, 2007 6:29 pm
Hine Te Po OWC
(@hine-te-po-owc)

Teenaa koe, Tuwhenua

Ano Hato was married to Pahau Raponi. The whakapapa is thus:

http://www.geocities.com/raponi_whanau/raponi.pdf

I do believe that there may be recordings of her still in existence.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 December, 2007 7:14 pm
DDD OWC
(@ddd-owc)

i know the whanau of Ano

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 December, 2007 8:34 am
teeta OWC
(@teeta-owc)

I also have a photo of Ana Hato..taken at Rotorua late 30's with members of my whanau..my mother and her brother..

Have you uploaded your photo to a website?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 December, 2007 10:04 am
Hine Te Po OWC
(@hine-te-po-owc)

Teenaa koe, 3D

I was visiting the Raponi whanau in Rotorua a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to let you know but the site was down that whole weekend. I now won't be down your way till sometime early in the new year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 December, 2007 1:13 pm
whakar OWC
(@whakar-owc)

ana hatos family still reside at whakarewarewa and ngapuna in rotorua,her husband pahau raponi was my fathers brother,they were both members of B coy 28th maori battalion,pahau did not return,there is a memorial to him in wahiao marae whakarewarewa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 December, 2007 2:48 pm
whakar OWC
(@whakar-owc)

they have a daughter ria and son in law doug robinson who reside at awahou,rotorua

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 December, 2007 2:52 pm
Ngaku OWC
(@ngaku-owc)

Isn't it wonderful finding old photographs. The Dean Waretini who sang with Ano Hato and the Dean Waretini who sang 'The Bridge' are from different generations. Dean of 'The Bridge' fame is alive and well and living in the South Island.

Heoi ano,
Ngaku

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 December, 2007 11:57 am
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Its ANA not ANO kia tika te whakatakoto. Her whanaus still at whaka

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 December, 2007 5:24 pm
Kataraina Tokomauri Bedford
(@kataraina-tokomauri-bedford)

quote:

they have a daughter ria and son in law doug robinson who reside at awahou,rotorua

Do not forget the other daughter Benny that lived in Whaka who has just passed away.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 February, 2008 5:23 pm
pooks OWC
(@pooks-owc)

Hi all, I'm Ana Hatos granddaughter. My mother Ria and Doug Robertson still live in Rotorua. Mum has a copy of the photo mentioned plus others of Ana and Pahau. Mum also has several old 78 records of Ana's, and there is a CD also.
Love and miss you too Auntie Bennie. Lorraine

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 April, 2008 9:41 pm
Share: