Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

FINALLY PROUD TO BE MAORI  

RSS
puan4 OWC
(@puan4-owc)

Kia Ora everyone,

My name is Dee. My mother is Maori, My father is Cook Island. Throughout my life, I have never been proud of my Maori side. Probably because of the situations my parents went through and the conflict with other members of my mum's family that went on, when I was child. There are many reasons why I thought like that too, but I'd rather not make excuses about the past and look towards the future. Back then I couldn't think for myself and I would believe anything I heard. I have my own family now and my perspective towards life has changed tremendously. I use to blame my mother for many things like not being around enough and not teaching me how to speak Maori but I no longer do. I am old enough to find out for myself and for my family. I want my children to be proud of their heritage and not have to go through what I went through. My partner is full Maori, and his family is wonderful. I'm proud to say my children are 3 quarters Maori. Im studying at the moment but when get time I'm keen to learn more about my Maori culture and history of my ancestors. Im in the process of learning how to speak Te Reo but find it difficult at times. I wasn't brought up to be religious but I really want my children to learn some Karakia's. One before eating and one before sleeping. Unfortunetly I dont any, so I need help on that one. I'm definetly gonna go see my mum's sister next week and ask her some questions. That's all I have to write for now.

ka kite.

Dee (On a mission to find out more about my Maori background.)

Posted : 17 November, 2006 11:25 am
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Tena koe e Dee!

Thats wonderful news. May i ask where you are from?

As far as karakia go, it may be more appropriate for you to teach inoi instead. Commonly known as karakia but these carry less tapu and rights of rituals. Inoi commonly means to pray or for a lesser word beg.

E te ariki whakapaingia enei kai hei oranga mo o matou tinana hoki o matou wairua ki te taro o te ora
amine

This is a simple inoi for eating. A way of bringing the self to a peaceful state.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 November, 2006 11:50 am
Retimana OWC
(@retimana-owc)
Eminent Member

Oh Kare!

A HUGE WELCOME TO YOU and your whanau.

YOU ARE JUST TOO MUCH!! and ever SO LOVELY!!

So many of us will enjoy reading your story and like me, will delight in helping you, as I also will, in watching them do that.

Thank you so very much. You are just so

Kia Ora Ano na Retimana

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 November, 2006 11:57 am
Share: