Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Hau - Translation or whakaaro  

Page 1 / 5
  RSS
Tane_nz OWC
(@tane_nz-owc)

Kia ora all not sure if i am in the right place for a patae, my patae is Hau paimarire, has enyone got a whakaaro on the meaning or translation of .. Hau ..

kia ora Tane

Posted : 14 February, 2007 10:04 am
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Hau -

wind, essence, sovereignty, reign, the right to legitimately (sp.??) rule over a place, therefore, spirit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 February, 2007 10:37 am
Tane_nz OWC
(@tane_nz-owc)

yes makes sence,the hau paimarire is a ending of a karakia just wasnt sure on the hau. so yes in this case i would go for essence, an spirt, the karakia gose like this
Ki runga
Ki raro
Ki waho
Ki roto
rire rire hau paimarie

short translation how i see it is with spirtual above phisical below and again spirtual within an phisical outside we have a ballance of phisical and spirtual, with that ballance we have harmony, cool thanks for yr whakaaro tane ariki, kia ora hau paimarie ki a koe

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 February, 2007 8:00 am
hinemako OWC
(@hinemako-owc)

Hau Paimarire!
Although an ending to a Karakia it is also begining of a Faith, a faith now so strong not many Tangata Maori move without it we are strongly link to the Ratana and Ringatu Faiths
which with all three Faiths and our whakapapa
draw us back to Io Matua Kore and even beyound him to Te Puu
Rire HAU!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 February, 2007 12:10 pm
hinemako OWC
(@hinemako-owc)

PS: HAU Huu the Breath of Life

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 February, 2007 12:11 pm
Chris Huriwai OWC
(@chris-huriwai-owc)

Kia ora hinemako, in regards to your statement that with ratana and ringatu all things lead back to Io, now i dont know about Ratana but my Koro was a Ringatu tohunga and im sure he would turn over in his grave if he heard that peope think all things in his faith lead back to Io.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 February, 2007 1:54 pm
Tane_nz OWC
(@tane_nz-owc)

kia koutou for yr whakaaro

te taha o toku maa
Ko taupiri te maunga
ko waikato te awa
ko tainui te waka
ko tainui te iwi
ko te wairere te hapu
ko hukanui te marae

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 February, 2007 10:00 pm
pono OWC
(@pono-owc)
Eminent Member

kia ora chris
Your reply got me intention.
who is ratana and where does ratana come from?

I was told by old koroua and kuia (none living) of taupo, am connection to ringatu.

I didn't take no notice of this before (being young then) now, I am interested.

any information much appreciated

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 February, 2007 2:15 pm
Chris Huriwai OWC
(@chris-huriwai-owc)

Ratana or Tahupotiki Wiremu Ratana was born and bred in Wanganui, and up until his "epihany" so to speek was a Farmer in rural Wanganui.

His epiphany occured in the early 1920's when he was standing on the porch of his home and saw a great kapua(cload) that began speaking to him, Ratana was convinced it was the voice of God.

God told him he was to be his Mangai or Mouth peice, and so it was.

Ratana also practiced faith healing and was in ministry for well over 15 years. However among the requirements to be a folower of his was that you had to do away with all things Maori in regard to spirituality but mainly Tohungatanga.

Ratana was a great man, humble, modest and a true follower of God.

hope that helps in regards to your queries on Ratana but as i say im no expert on this man or the church he founded perhaps other users could add what ive missed or take away if i have it wrong.

In regards to Haahi Ringatu, it would be easier for me if you had questions on the subject as opposed to me writting about it...i could go forever on that kaupapa!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 March, 2007 11:02 am
Hokio OWC
(@hokio-owc)

quote:

Hau Paimarire!
Although an ending to a Karakia it is also begining of a Faith, a faith now so strong not many Tangata Maori move without it we are strongly link to the Ratana and Ringatu Faiths
which with all three Faiths and our whakapapa
draw us back to Io Matua Kore and even beyound him to Te Puu
Rire HAU!

Ah nah!! I don't know how you came to that conclusion regarding the links including whakapapa so perhaps some enlightenment might be appropriate. Kia ora ra... a, ki a koe hoki Chris

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 March, 2007 12:30 pm
Nani OWC
(@nani-owc)
Eminent Member

ae kia ora tātou, hinemako could be correct up to the point she makes regarding how we māori [ of all faiths ] are linked through whakapapa. With respect, the Paimārire faith is much older than Te Kooti's Ringatū & Wiremu Ratana's Ratana faith, but with the 3 faith together we link by whakapapa back to Io-Matua Kore. I think this might be what hinemoko was saying, koirā ko tāku nei whakaaro.
Ko Tainui te waka
Ko Tararua te pae maunga
Ko Ohau te awa
Ko Papaitonga te roto
Ko Raukawa-moana te moana
Ko Korouaputa te tangata
Ko Kikopiri-o-Ngāti Huia te hāpū
Ko Ngāti Raukawa-ki-te-Tonga te iwi
Rire rire Paimārie

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 March, 2007 8:59 pm
Chris Huriwai OWC
(@chris-huriwai-owc)

With all due respect i just cannot accept that the ringatu faith leads back to Io, via whakapapa or otherwise.

Just a patai,

How does Ringatu link back to Io???

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 March, 2007 7:30 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Ok, this is my patai (and I'm serious about it).

Is there anything before Io? Because this is the first time that I've heard of something existing before Io, I've always considered Io to be 'Te Pu'. Am I wrong in thinking this?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 March, 2007 2:46 pm
Chris Huriwai OWC
(@chris-huriwai-owc)

I'm not wanting to step on any toes or tell someone what they beleive is wrong but can Io be considered an autentic Maori tradition???

And even if it is how could a christian church possibly whakapapa to a non-christian god???

Edited by - Chris Huriwai on Mar 22 2007 5:01:14 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 March, 2007 4:57 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Kia Ora Chris Huriwai,

Io is an authentic Maori tradition. However, what has happened, is that it has become mired with lots of Christian korero however in saying that the Maori kings did always view the Christian God as being Io.

On top of that, the god Io is also known in other islands (thinking of Hawai'i here). The name Io, also comes from one of the sacred marae in Tahiti.

I understand your concern.

Personally, I didn't think religions could whakapapa either 😉 (so does that mean if a religion can whakapapa that there will be new religions in the future to replace them? the blasphemy hehe)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 March, 2007 11:16 pm
Page 1 / 5
Share: