Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Hi i want to learn from u  

RSS
username0 OWC
(@username0-owc)

Hi i am chris... i made some maori friends but they had to go back to new zealand .. we met on a holiday and i would like to know more about maori people i am really interested...

Can anyone tell me what maldi is? Is that like a group or language or somthing...

I met a few people 1 was named auterry or somting and the other was poohee or somting they were from palmerston north i think.. i dont think il find them ever but they were a kool family.

Can someone please tell me aboujt maori people?

Posted : 22 January, 2006 11:45 pm
material OWC
(@material-owc)

tena koe Chris
well 1st off the language is not spelt how you write it.

if you look through this site you may be able to pick up the words. try and use the service down below learn maori on line.
maldi, auterry and poohee - i am unsure what meaning is attached as your spelling tells me of a english/foriegn language.
you really need to add a meaning, so we are able to help and give you the correct spelling.
try the on line langugae course and get the feel for it.
i am not fluent and i have basic's but can spell most words.
see how you go
material

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 January, 2006 6:10 am
username0 OWC
(@username0-owc)

hi my frends said they spoke moldi or moldy or somthing like that is that a type of maori language.?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 January, 2006 2:42 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

um i think poohee is PUHI and auterry is AUTERE(??)

its maori,we are maori people and we speak the maori language.um...we are the indigenous people of new zealand...lolz.

um wat do u want to know e hoa?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 January, 2006 11:53 am
kuri OWC
(@kuri-owc)

Hi Username0;

It would have sounded like Moldy but Maori is often misheard, the 'r' is pronounced in a similar fashion as a french "r" with the tip of the tongue positioned behind the base of the bottom teeth.

I agree with Hearty you are probably looking for Puhi and Autere.

Good luck you are already wiser than you were when you started your quest.

Regards

kuri

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 January, 2006 1:57 pm
username0 OWC
(@username0-owc)

thanks alot u made me understand alot already

Do you all practice reeligon?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 January, 2006 5:53 pm
dannydelamere OWC
(@dannydelamere-owc)

religion yes we do.christianity plys a big part in our society.we are a culture similar to the american indians,made up of different tribes.by the way where do u hail frm?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 January, 2006 11:34 pm
username0 OWC
(@username0-owc)

australia .. melbourne..

Do the tribes speak different maori dialect or is it all just maori??

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 January, 2006 1:19 am
stubbornforgey OWC
(@stubbornforgey-owc)

kia ora chris.
Your in melbourne ..ok
Good on you.
Exactly what is it that you want to know??
There are many thousands of maori families living in melbourne..so honestly...this cannot be the 1st time
you have run into any maori over there.
What em asking is ...are you asking because you sincerely want to learn..or is it just out of curiosity.
Sorry if i sound skeptical..i don't mean to..but persoanlly ..maoritanga cannot be taught half heartedly..in order to learn the reo (language)
you also need to learn the properpronounciation/ meanings..etc..as many of them sound the same..are spelt the same but have different meanings in a sentence.
Its not good enough for me today to hear somebody say ..'i can greet somebody in maori ..so now ..i can speak maori'..that is so untrue.
Unlike all other indigenous races all over the world..this is one race/country that refuses to let our reo die or be disrespected.
If your serious..i will help you .
'wink'

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 January, 2006 8:49 am
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

most tribes speak about 90% the same just some tribes have different words or ways of saying things and also have different...accents...???...lol.im not sure what u call it!

lyk in tuhoe they have no ng just n, and down south they say k insted of ng and up north they say h insted of wh and in taranaki/wanganui they dont have an h...those are the main ones but there are other ones like the ngati porou/tairawhiti dialect,tainui/te arawa dialect

um...im a follower of the ringatu church...oh ringatu/pai marire church.oh and im matatau fluent in maori.

p.s. e stubby (stubbornforgey) no hea koe e te tuahine?matatau koe ki te reo??

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 January, 2006 11:12 am
username0 OWC
(@username0-owc)

i am not disrespecting im just really curious becuase i made good friends with some maori's and i want to know about them more... we dont get touguht this stuff in school.

i live in a small town near melbourne so there are no maori's were i live so its the first time i meet some and it was on a holiday.

I dont want to learn the hole language but i want to learn about the culture its fascinating to me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 January, 2006 12:50 pm
material OWC
(@material-owc)

Chris
kool, i see you have more teachers to help out. i think in order to learn our culture you need to learn the langauge to have a true understanding. so do learn our language as it goes hand in hand. like a bike with wheels, you cant ride without it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 January, 2006 8:22 pm
bai OWC
(@bai-owc)

Kia Ora Chris (Hello friend), You sound like a bright kid for an 11yr old and you not shy to, you know, some of us maori people are not too fond of shy people, hence is why you made friends so easily aye!. Just a sugesstion e hoa, do you know where your friends where staying, if so you may be able to get their second names and more info about them, and if you do you can put their names here, and hopefully sombody may know them and let them know and even betta, if use all have msn messaging that would be betta aye! good luck in finding your friends,

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 January, 2006 12:19 pm
chewton girl OWC
(@chewton-girl-owc)

Kia ora
which small town outside of Melbourne do you live in?? I am maori,and i live in a small town outside Melb' to. I can count the maoris in this town on one hand and that includes me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 January, 2006 9:46 am
Share: