Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

iroam  

RSS
NGATI IROAM OWC
(@ngati-iroam-owc)

kia ora
i am lookin into getting a tattoo and would like to get my whakapapa where must i start.

Posted : 01 June, 2007 4:02 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Try talking to your elders from your area. You would want to incorporate the tamoko style of your iwi, and the whakapapa of both your parents.

You could also look up the book Tamoko, which i think was written by Michael King and then try to identify the style for your area and its meanings.

You could also look up a carver from your area. Talk to him about your tamoko and even commision him to design the drawing. From there you can just give that to a reputable maori tattoist and they will transfer it to your skin.

Good luck with that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 June, 2007 10:38 am
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Have a look around, see if you find something you like, have a talk to people about tamoko and see where you end up

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 June, 2007 12:34 pm
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Second thought that was rather not very helpful. You have to find someone that you trust with information about you and your family, when you are settled with this then you can proceed to next step. Get it drawn and then get it tattooed

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 June, 2007 12:44 pm
Share: