Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

kahuwhariki  

RSS
kahuwhariki OWC
(@kahuwhariki-owc)

Im attempting to find out information about my great grandmother Rose Moore Kahuwhariki, who has links with Rotoiti, Rotorua. Te Arawa is my iwi and I have also been informed that my hapu may be tamateatutahi/kawiti but I know nothing more to confirm this. Looking forward to finding information about my great grandmother and hapu, please if anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateful. Thanks very much, Marcelle.

Posted : 18 June, 2006 2:35 pm
superbee OWC
(@superbee-owc)

Kia ora, can you supply her husband's name? Huirau?
Pi

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 June, 2006 8:07 pm
kahuwhariki OWC
(@kahuwhariki-owc)

Hi, thanks for your interest. At the age or 15 Rose Moore (Kahuwhariki)married John Onslow Hoffman in Papakura in 1887. I have a marriage certificate that states Ngaraka as the "maiden surname of mother". I have a wonderfull folder of information about my family but I have not had any success in finding more information about my Maori ancestory.
Thanks,
Marcelle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 June, 2006 8:23 pm
Des OWC
(@des-owc)

Hi, I have just stumbled across this site. I don't know much, but my Great, Great Grandmother is named Ngaraka and Hoffmans feature in my family somewhere, all I know is the family marae is at Rotoiti. My grandmother has alot of information. If you wish to email me I can forward your details to her.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 June, 2006 10:39 pm
Des OWC
(@des-owc)

Hi again, I have now found out that Rose is the sister of my Great Grandfather, David/Rewitit, making us cousins.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 June, 2006 8:14 pm
jfdouglas OWC
(@jfdouglas-owc)

I'm not sure how accurate this is? But it may help. I also am interested to learn more.

Ngaraka TE WHAREPUTARA was born in 1832 in Tapuwaeharuru, Te Rotoiti, New Zealand; and died on 18 Sep 1919 in Tapuwaeharuru, Te Rotoiti, New Zealand.
Ngaraka married John MOORE in 1853 in Wairoa, Rotorua, New Zealand. John was born about 1828 in Belfast, Ulster, Northern Ireland, Ireland. He died on 30 Jul 1901 in Mamaku, Te Arawa, New Zealand. He was buried on 1 Aug 1901 in Ngongotaha, New Zealand.

They had the following children:
F i. Eliza Elizabeth MOORE was born on 11 May 1854 in Mongonui, Northland, New Zealand; and died on 6 Aug 1908 in Te Puna, Tauranga. She was buried on 10 Aug 1908 in Te Puna, Tauranga Moana, New Zealand.
M ii. William MOORE was born in 1856 in Maunganui, Tauranga Moana, Auckland, New Zealand. William married Mingi TE AMOMAKO.
F iii. Mamae Meretiana MOORE was born about 1858 in Te Rotoiti, Te Arawa, New Zealand. Mamae married Tai Tawharu RAPANA.
F iv. Sarah Tuhimaterangi MOORE was born in 1861 in Maunganui, Tauranga Moana, Auckland, New Zealand. She died on 17 Dec 1936. Sarah married TUHUA.
F v. Rebecca Ngaraka MOORE was born about 1864 in Tauranga Moana, Te Waewaetapu. Rebecca married Mr GOLLOP.
F vi. Sophie Te Paea MOORE was born in 1866 in Otenga, Tauranga Moana, New Zealand. She died on 13 Sep 1941 and was buried on 16 Sep 1941. Sophie married Daniel COE.
Fvii. Margaret Marara MOORE was born in 1869 in Otenga, Tauranga Moana, New Zealand. She died in 1936. Margaret married MCKINNON.
M viii. Abraham Kairiti MOORE was born in 1871 in Otenga, Tauranga Moana, New Zealand.
F ix. Raukura Elizabeth MOORE was born on 26 Aug 1872 in Whatawhata, Te Riu o Waikato, New Zealand. She died on 25 Jul 1915.
M x. James Te Hira MOORE was born in Dec 1874 in Whatawhata, Te Riu o Waikato, Auckland, New Zealand. He died in Dec 1915.
F xi. Rosie Kahuwhariki MOORE was born on 14 Sep 1876 in Whatawhata, Te Riu o Waikato, New Zealand. She died on 9 Aug 1950. Rosie married John Onslow HOFFMAN.
M xii. David Te Iwi MOORE was born on 14 Nov 1879 in Whatawhata, Te Riu o Waikato, New Zealand. He died on 4 Aug 1944. David married (1) Tangihaere TARATI. (2) Annie STEWART. (3) Thelma Charlotte.
Sources of information : Maori land records belonging to Bella Mita and given to Violet Thomas.
F xiii. Maraea MOORE was born about 1881 in Rotongaringaring, New Zealand.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 August, 2007 11:49 am
Share: