Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Kawariki - meaning and korero  

RSS
ourboy07 OWC
(@ourboy07-owc)

Tena tatou katoa! Recently (a week to be exact!) my partner and I had a baby boy who is such a blessing including the fact that he has 8 older sisters!Anyway I am from Ngati Porou and my tane is from Tainui and of Ngati Whawhakia hapu. He is from the Morgan/Rangi whanau of Huntly. Part of our baby's name is Kawariki-being his Tainui link. I did some research on this beautiful name while I was carrying and know that Tawhiao referrred to the kawariki plant in his korero which starts, "Maku ano toku nei whare e hanga...". I thought it was a type of flax but looks like it may be a type of buttercup "that is strong and flourishes" in it's natural environment. We liked that the name denotes strength. Can anyone help me with any other korero relating to Kawariki?

Posted : 19 July, 2007 1:10 pm
DDD OWC
(@ddd-owc)

please private message me, so i don't lose your contact, as i don't know how to open threads or find members if they aren't up on the opening screen. The organization i work for has the largest collection of native plant specimens, articles and information of anyone in the country and I will make some investigations and get back to you.

I have also private messaged you so we don't lose contact

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 July, 2007 1:17 pm
ourboy07 OWC
(@ourboy07-owc)

Sorry but how do I do that? He ahua kuare tenei ki nga mahi rorohiko nei!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 July, 2007 1:33 pm
DDD OWC
(@ddd-owc)

kei te pai. According to our records Kawariki is a plant which is closely related to the more common Karamu. This is essentially a native shrub. the scientific name is Comprosma grandifolia and you may get some information by google search on this.
I am not sure where you are located, but if you are in Auckland, there is a book by James Beever called "A Dictionary of Maori Plant Names" which can be purchased for $2.00 from the Auckland Botanical Society PO Box 26391 epsom Auckland.
There is no doubt some traditional knowledge surrounding this plant, especially for it to be mentioned by the rangatira you have referred to. In order to access this knowledge you would have to identify the appropriate tohunga ngahere from the area. Or trace the korero you mentioned and try to decipher its history and meaning more precisely.
DDD

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 July, 2007 2:04 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

Kawariki is a bitter plant that was given to children to make them stronger. It is a metaphor for the hard times one goes through in life that makes them stronger. So it contrasts with the rengarenga, which was fed to kids as a treat & represents the good times and complacency.

This is one of the meanings of Tawhiao's tongi:
Me whakatupu ki te hua o te rengarenga, me whakapakari ki te hua o te kawariki.

"Grown with the fruit of the rengarenga, strengthened with the fruits of the kawariki."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 July, 2007 11:04 pm
DDD OWC
(@ddd-owc)

Kia ora hearty nati. even though your korero matauranga of the kawariki was not aimed at me, I have read it, and must thank you for expanding my knowledge about these plants.

kiaora
tripleD

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 July, 2007 10:45 am
ourboy07 OWC
(@ourboy07-owc)

Nga tino mihi kia korua DDD and hearty nati! Thanx so much for all this korero.Gives us some additional information to tell our son about where that part of his name comes from and I will indeed check out those references you mentioned DDD. Love the metaphorical interpretation too hearty nati - tena ano korua!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 July, 2007 12:21 pm
Share: