Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Looking for general Iwi knowledge - storys of how Iwi came to be  

RSS
KiHi OWC
(@kihi-owc)

In the story of why we raised questions of being so white yet still holding our maori lines I got told this here, I'm still looking for along the lines my iwi as not much has been told to me in past from whanau if there is anything about this story or similar please let me know if there is anything you may or could help with...this may not be exact nor correct but heres what Ive been told:

An american sailor (may also have american indian lines)jumped boat along somewhere up north to find upon arrival the invitation to a wedding by some Maori where missunderstanding was made and he was the main course of it... Im not to sure about the next part, where they either travelled to Tauranga?? (Or something like) or if thats where they escaped to?.. But they went back to this Wedding where the sailor was put in a holding room until the wedding. the room accross from his was the room of the bride to be and upon discovering this each fell for each other and dug a hole to one another and escaped.. hence how an iwi was started..

I'm missing parts of this story and some may be wrong but Im in the search for my iwi and who I am and this is the only starting hold I have.

Posted : 04 July, 2006 9:38 pm
Nga Hau e Wha OWC
(@nga-hau-e-wha-owc)

An interesting start to a family line. However I have never heard this story although there are a few I have heard regarding early Europeans deserting at Mangonui. If you have some areas or dates to add I would like to help. What is the name of the iwi that came out of this love story??

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 July, 2006 8:07 pm
KiHi OWC
(@kihi-owc)

Im not exactly sure yet, Ranginui was mentioned when I asked about iwi. Its so awkward because my whanau is quite on it as where Im trying to learn what I can aout who I am so I can pass that knowledge down when my childrens journeys begin. It would be awesome if you could help, I'm still seeking more info in some family ties. Im trying to track down a cousin that isnt mentioned in our whanau due to my aunties handiwork

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 July, 2006 8:27 pm
Nga Hau e Wha OWC
(@nga-hau-e-wha-owc)

Whenever you get a name send it here, whether it is a person's name or an area ok. By north do you mean north of Auckland or the Far North?? No idea of the man's name who married the wahine?? Or even a year??

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 July, 2006 1:54 am
KiHi OWC
(@kihi-owc)

No but I'm following up on it pretty hard putting pressure on it with the whanau to find the missing links... it may have been up north as in far north, I know they travelled back with him to the wedding... I wish I knew more right now lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 July, 2006 10:43 am
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

why that sounds like my ancestors...but the circumstances are somewhat different...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 July, 2006 12:46 pm
KiHi OWC
(@kihi-owc)

Yea it would be a little easier if I knew where to find a missing cousin I only discovered was a cousin the other day... he's not spoken of due to my aunty not wanting kids and being not her son but my uncles and another woman's.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 July, 2006 6:54 pm
K.Te Keepa Rata Te Awe OWC
(@k-te-keepa-rata-te-awe-owc)

Kia ora Kihi,

After reading your storey I feel you are referring to the love storey of Ranginui and Papatuanuku, the beginning of time. This is a beautiful love storey, but quite different from the one you have told. I know it's hard to piece together missing links as you have to find them in order to know they're missing !! But if you can try and obtain a time frame or even clear if you are referring to our people before there was day and night, or are you referring to our people when they were still in the heavens before the world became a world, before time and space was given.

Kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 July, 2006 8:32 pm
Share: