Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Manukau Native/Maori School?  

RSS
AllyKat OWC
(@allykat-owc)

Manukau Native or Maori School.
Has anybody got any information about a school in Manukau, Herekino (Kaitaia)? It's still standing today but is now used as a hall for meetings and such. I have only seen a couple of articles of it being used as a school, one with my uncle in his school days (he has now passed on) and my aunty doesnt know where the clipping has vanished off too, and a booklet once of one of the schools Jubilee's.
I am particularily interested in the year 1942 and onwards. Thanks.

Posted : 17 December, 2006 11:00 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

I read an article about it once to, and I think from memory it was in the Broadwood School Jubilee Book which was published a very long time ago.
A library in that area may hold copies. I have a feeling other schools that no longer existed were covered in there with a brief account of the years they were open etc

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2006 3:22 am
Kina
 Kina
(@kina)
Eminent Member

Records of about 450 Native Schools are held in the Auckland office of Archives NZ
525 Mt Wellington Highway,
Mt Richmond,
Auckland,
Phone (09)270-1100,
Email auckland@archives,govt.nz

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2006 4:47 am
AllyKat OWC
(@allykat-owc)

Kia ora markonijoy and kina, I will check it out and see what I can come up with. And thanks for your input 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 December, 2006 7:58 pm
Share: