Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Maori Heritage...  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
crissy11 OWC
(@crissy11-owc)

Kia ora,

I am making enquiries in regards to my children....
I am maori and my partner has maori in him from his mothers side...4 generations in there family they have a Great Great Nanny is Maori from Ngati Kahangunu, over the next generations it has thinned out and my partner is of pakeha appearance. Can my Children say that they are also from ngati Kahangunu aswell....my partners thinking my kids can't because it is so far away now...is this true?...
I believe that my kids should be able to say that they have tribal bloodlines from Ngati Kahangunu aswell am i right to say this...?

Edited by - crissy11 on Jan 29 2008 5:39:47 PM

Posted : 29 January, 2008 4:33 pm
DDD OWC
(@ddd-owc)

i had a discussion today with a work colleague who is 1/32 maori. He was reluctant to call himself maori. I told him that the term "maori blood" is actually erroneous. heres my point;

he is 1/32 Ngati porou blood, not 1/32 maori blood.

I have heard many many maori people who have very old ties back to and iwi or hapu, use there blood to connect to that iwi or hapu even though they only really have a small amount of actually tribal blood to that place.

So if we maori can use our many many small amounts of tribal blood lines to connect to many iwi across the country, why can't a person with only one small tribal blood line to only one tribe do the same thing? Answer = of course they bloody can!

Your children have every right to proudly say they are uri of Kahungunu. Great great grandmother is not that far back anyway, so the connection from a whakapapa maori point of view is actually quite close.

And to those out there who may have only a very small amount of maori blood... find out the tribe you come from, and that is who you are.

Ko te tikanga o nehera "ahakoa he iti he pounamu"

"although small, all the more treasured"

DDD

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 January, 2008 4:48 pm
Kina
 Kina
(@kina)
Eminent Member

Its not the size of the bottle, but the spirit in it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 January, 2008 5:02 pm
Mistee OWC
(@mistee-owc)

Tautoko ana ahau i ngaa korero a DD & Kina.

Yupz i agree. Chrissy, we are whanaunga, well your tane and your tamariki are, and thru them you are lol. I read your message left on another post regarding Kakewahine and kare, whether she be four generations or twenty generations back she is still your tanez and your childrens tipuna. Without her, they would never be here.

As long as you have a drop of maori/kahungunu/Porou blood inside of you....you will and always will be maaori/kahungunu/porou, and dont let anyone tell ya different.

Edited by - Mistee on Jan 30 2008 12:10:06 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 January, 2008 9:44 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Ae e hoa ma, e whakaae ahau ki ta koutou korero

I too use that same concept inversely. I am 1/32 scottish. I had denied that blood line most of my life until I saw braveheart.

I cried as the landscape spoke to me saying herein lies the land of one of your tupuna. Now I am proud 1/32 scottish..

So yes you are indeed Maori if you so choose to be and so are your children and your husband. Knowing exactly how that is so is even better. Not all maori can give you whakapapa back to a great great grand parents so that in itself is significant.

Learn your pepeha, your mountain, river, hapu, marae etc so that if called upon to do so, you are able, along with your husband, able to accurately identify yourself as maori do..

Kia ora
FREEDOM!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 January, 2008 9:33 am
Mistee OWC
(@mistee-owc)

Kia ora ano...sorry to change the kaupapa slightly but...what is 1/32 Maaori?? Well what do yas mean 1/32??? To me, I am Maaori, Scottish and Irish, not 1/32 this or whatever. Are you saying 1 fraction of ya 32 (litre lol maybe) blood is Maaori or Scottish??

Can someone kind of explain tera ki ahau koa. Btw, I am not diss'in anyone lol, I just would like to understand it and why people use it.

Kia ora ra.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 January, 2008 12:05 pm
Kina
 Kina
(@kina)
Eminent Member

If you split your heart into fractions i dont think you would live long.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 January, 2008 5:48 pm
DDD OWC
(@ddd-owc)

he means, if he could get all his ancestors in one place, then 1 in every 32 of them would be a scots.

For me I am nearly 1 half scots, so 1 in every 2 of my ancestors would be scots.

didn't you listen in maths class e Mistee?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 January, 2008 5:50 pm
Mistee OWC
(@mistee-owc)

LOL DD...you funny fullah you lol

Thank you for that enlightenment.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 January, 2008 6:54 pm
DDD OWC
(@ddd-owc)

you are most welcome my dearest mistee

enlightenment is my specialty

DDD

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 January, 2008 1:09 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Precisely DDD

If my mum was scots i would be 1/2 scots. If her mum was scots I would be 1/4. If her mum was scots I would be 1/8...you get the idea?

My great great great grand father was scots making me 1/32.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 February, 2008 7:53 am
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

I'm scottish, irish and english. No welsh in me sorry! And further back I'm german.

My taha pakeha is the mud-blood side, not the taha Maori 😛 (ok I'm trying to be sarcastic...).

Um, your tane is Maori no matter what. He can't shed himself of Polynesian DNA that easily.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 February, 2008 2:49 pm
pepe OWC
(@pepe-owc)

Pupuritia ki tou toto. He iti, he Pounamu.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 February, 2008 5:02 pm
crissy11 OWC
(@crissy11-owc)

Thankx Everyone...appreciate every word...my partner read this in amazement, now he's surprised and feeling a little dumb-founded realising that true.... he would not be here if it wasn't for his great grandparents from Ngati kahangunu...i think true that because of his appearance it was/is hard for him to recognise his maori heritage...he has to bypass the colour difference...today we can say NOT all us maori are dark skinned they can be alot lighter these days...hahaha....
And it is fantastic my Tamariki can recognise it now they are young and grow up knowing who and where they come from. They are Uri of Nga-Puhi, Ngati-kahangunu, Taranaki, Waikato....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 February, 2008 9:50 pm
Nani OWC
(@nani-owc)
Eminent Member

quote:

Kia ora ano...sorry to change the kaupapa slightly but...what is 1/32 Maaori?? Well what do yas mean 1/32??? To me, I am Maaori, Scottish and Irish, not 1/32 this or whatever. Are you saying 1 fraction of ya 32 (litre lol maybe) blood is Maaori or Scottish??

Can someone kind of explain tera ki ahau koa. Btw, I am not diss'in anyone lol, I just would like to understand it and why people use it.

Kia ora ra.

Its called the blood quantum measurement system which the americans use to suit their purpose to divide & conquer Indigenous Americans & the Kanaka Māoli from their lands.
I've always seen myself (& my children know it too) as part Māori, Scots & Italian.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 February, 2008 3:35 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: