Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

MEAD, Lee: Where do i say i am from?  

RSS
kairangahau
(@kairangahau)

My grandmothers mother was of Ngati Porou decent. My grandmothers fathers mother was of Wakatohia and Te Whanau A Apanui decent. My grandmothers fathers fathers mother was of Ngati Rangatihi & Tuwharetoa decent.

so......where do i say i am from when asked?

I grew up the white way and only ever visited a Marae with my class at school. Where do i affiliate to....too many questions to ask.......HELP

Posted : 18 January, 2008 10:57 am
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Firstly where is you father from?

Secondly, the people you mention, are they the only maori in your whakapapa?

Now as to which one should you choose? All of the above! The closer down the whakapapa your tupuna is to you, usually the closer the connection. Your grandmothers mother was Ngati Porou so do you still have family there? Where do you call home? Has your family been there for more than 2 generations?

There are no hard and fast rules regarding this but some people will affiliate back to where their pito is buried (afterbirth) It is here where your parents have buried the afterbirth, that you should call home..

Good luck

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 January, 2008 11:13 am
kairangahau
(@kairangahau)

My father is purely of european decent(Nelson) where i was also born, but never lived there. I also doubt that my pito was buried, will have to find that out...so not much help there.

So my grandmother is my maori link, through her the maze begins and my first post shows my links to different iwi/hapu. All my grandmothers ancestors were maori but 2 (that i know of from the whakapapa i have). My grandmothers mothers father was a scotsman (James McGregor) and my grandmothers fathers fathers father was an american (Benjamin Boscawen Savage - Matata)

the nearest place to home would be at Opoutere Coromandel Peninsula (where my grandmother grew up) where we do have connection to land from my grandmothers father (Ropiha Te Pene Savage or Jack Hauiti Savage) but this is just where he settled, no Marae or such.

It seems many of my ancestors that i know of were a bit nomadic like me and didnt settle where they were from

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 January, 2008 11:56 am
Taka OWC
(@taka-owc)

quote:

My father is purely of european decent(Nelson) where i was also born, but never lived there. I also doubt that my pito was buried, will have to find that out...so not much help there.

So my grandmother is my maori link, through her the maze begins and my first post shows my links to different iwi/hapu. All my grandmothers ancestors were maori but 2 (that i know of from the whakapapa i have). My grandmothers mothers father was a scotsman (James McGregor) and my grandmothers fathers fathers father was an american (Benjamin Boscawen Savage - Matata)

the nearest place to home would be at Opoutere Coromandel Peninsula (where my grandmother grew up) where we do have connection to land from my grandmothers father (Ropiha Te Pene Savage or Jack Hauiti Savage) but this is just where he settled, no Marae or such.

It seems many of my ancestors that i know of were a bit nomadic like me and didnt settle where they were from

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 January, 2008 2:39 pm
Share: