Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Miringaorangi, Rena Hinehou  

RSS
motes OWC
(@motes-owc)

tena koutou katoa,
I am trying to trace my whakapapa on my Ngati Porou side, my nan was Rena Hinehou Miringaorangi,(Riwai) her first marriage was to an Atkins from Taranaki and her second marriage which is my line was to Haki (Jack) Savage (Haweti) Te Whanau a Apanui.

I have a an inkling that the Miringaorangi's are from Waipiro or Te Puea.

Posted : 15 February, 2007 3:36 pm
bpw1
 bpw1
(@bpw1)

kia ora whanaunga,
you could be right, there might be some miringaorangis in te puea, and waipiro, but the one's i know are from a little bay out side of tolaga called anaura. they are not a big family, but they are fairly well known, my granfather's half brother was a miringaorangi (peter was his name), and most of them came from there. a lot of them are buried out there too in the family urupa, so you might be able to see a few pictures in the marae which is ohinetamatea. my advice to you is when you find the time, go visit the place, knock on somebodies door and i guarantee you, they'll know a lot about this whanau, beautiful litle place. you might want to check out the waru whanau, the grey whanau, and the saddlier whanau while you're out there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 March, 2007 8:49 am
Tommy1313 OWC
(@tommy1313-owc)

Kiaora Your Rena Atkins-Savage fathers name is Riwai Miringaorangi (Te Kaha Omaio Waiorore)his wife maukuia/mokuia Hei (TeKaha)this was given to me by my grandfather her brothers and sisters are as follows Tere Miringaorangi,Te Ua Pere, Tai Riwai (Omaio) Paratene Thomas, Hori Riwai,Peta Hailey, Rua Whakataka Tere & Te Ua were twins my grandfather told me all his uncles changed their last names he reckons they were hoha spelling it to the pakeha all the time his father was the only brother that kept the last name miringaorangi his dad was Tere Miringaorangi who married Waerete Waru (Tolaga Bay) their chidren were TeKani Miringaorangi,my grandfather Wananga Te Ariki (Albert peter)Miringaorangi,Toihau or Thomas Bennett,and sister Kamau Teomihia Miringaorangi and his half brothers Hori Wharehinga & Johnny Tautuhi i hope this is right i'm trying to learn it myself i hope i've spelt it right as well theres some Miringaorangi in Napier try them as well as far as i know the Miringaorangi whanau are from Te Kaha,Omaio our marae waiorore
All the best

Edited by - Tommy1313 on Aug 22 2007 10:56:20 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 August, 2007 5:27 pm
DHarrisonTPWB
(@dharrisontpwb)

Kia Ora I’m from Waipiro Bay and my Nan’s a riwai from Omaio. Daughter of hori. She had 4 siblings and 3 I know. Hawira my nanny toti and her whangai brother RATU. They also lived in waipiro and te puia. Plus my papa tutu Hailey and his Whānau and the kururangis in tokomary. They descend from the maringaorani Whānau. Could u give me a buzz. My name is Delph Harrison on Facebook. Or my email is delph.harr@gmail.com. Would really like to exchange stories. Naku noa

del

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 April, 2019 11:54 am
Share: