Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

NAMING CONVENTIONS  

RSS
Purerehua OWC
(@purerehua-owc)

Kia Ora!
I have a question regarding Naming Conventions. As I understand it some tupuna took other names when they were baptised by the Missionaries. The names seem to be mostly from the Bible. I would like to know where I can reference these events that is, I would like to know exactly where and when my tupuna took on this other name and were these events recorded by someone who was present? Any ideas anybody?

Posted : 14 January, 2008 3:26 am
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

kiaora, possibly the churches still hold the registers, i know I have seen the odd page on the net with what you ask. Maybe places like the Hocken library, local museums, I think many were recorded. also archives nz hold a lot of different things and if you know the area your tupuna were in try the churches there first to see where their records are now. And depending too what religion they were baptised under re name change, hope thats a start for you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 January, 2008 8:53 am
Purerehua OWC
(@purerehua-owc)

Kia Ora rlee,
Thank you for your awhina on this kaupapa. Yes I think the places you mentioned would be the best places to look too. You know, my Aunty dedicated over 15years of her life to whakapapa research for her whanau and she simply could not find any sort of documentation to substantiate a naming convention for the tupuna I am specifically thinking of. His (yet to be substantiated) baptised name is used frequently by the NZ public in general. Hey can anyone tell me how I can get hold of Angela Ballard - researcher for the DBNZ?

Yours in truth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 January, 2008 10:25 am
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

Are you able to e-mail angela through Dbnz, or even ring them?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 January, 2008 10:56 am
Gemini G OWC
(@gemini-g-owc)
Eminent Member

Rangiatea was the name of one of the first churches built here. At Otaki, i believe. It was burnt down in 199?, and records may have been destroyed in the fire. Unless, kept by the ministers of the church at the time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 January, 2008 11:26 am
Purerehua OWC
(@purerehua-owc)

Good idea rlee, why didnt I think of that!!! Damn this site ROCKS! Thanks to you too G, tho I would assume that Rangiatea would hold records from that rohe (only)? Enlighten me if I'm wrong tho aye.
What denomination would Rangiatea come under, I cant remember tho would guess it to be....hmmm.... Anglican I spose - not that it matters.
Kia Ora ano!

Edited by - Purerehua on Jan 14 2008 11:45:22 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 January, 2008 11:27 am
Purerehua OWC
(@purerehua-owc)

On second thoughts and considering the missionaries of the day in that area..... Its gotta be Presbyterian!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 January, 2008 11:48 am
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

roman catholic (church of england,) weslayan, there were a few floating around! and also the ministers/priests etc roamed all over nz with their work, so records also could be at different places etc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 January, 2008 4:38 pm
pepe OWC
(@pepe-owc)

Kia ora koutou,
The missionaries were required to keep records of all baptisms/christenings, weddings etc. Some like Stack, Pybus, Taylor and others kept journals which have been published and make interesting reading and are available at your local library. The Methodist[Wesleyan] church have archives in Christchurch and Auckland. It might be worth your while ringing them and the other Protestant churches, such as Presbyterian, Anglicans etc as any of the ministers should be able to tell you where their archives are housed. And of course also try the Catholic presbyteries in the phone book.
It has made it difficult for whakapapa research as many whanau became known by their baptismal name instead of their original name and descendants have become understandably led on a wild goose chase since the 18th century.
Let us know how you get on.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 January, 2008 12:47 am
pono OWC
(@pono-owc)
Eminent Member

kia ora purerehua for posted.

I'm same boat as you. I searched everywhere for my tupuna who took on other name.
So for me no hope find missing link for my whakapapa.
Good luck to you

ka kite

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 January, 2008 1:28 am
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

kiaora purerehua, by the way and this is for everyone else too, there is a really good reference book if you can get it out from the library and it has the auckland museum collections held in it on Maori things. It's called nga Pou Arahi, with the macron over the a in nga and over a in arahi, it is is a tribal inventory of manuscripts relating to maori treasures, language, genealogy, songs, history, customs and proverbs. It has been compiled by jenifer curnow.
I had a quick look for a baptism reference for you and so far (there is probably more!) found on page 184 a refernce to papers given by waldo heap relating to tai tokerau, including maori and pakeha baptisms for years 1842-1894, it may not be the area you needed but is an example of what the museum has, this book is good for anyone wanting to know what is held and what the access terms to the info held are.
Thought it may help, if not, others may find it useful, happy hunting! naku noa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 January, 2008 6:04 pm
Purerehua OWC
(@purerehua-owc)

Kia Ora rlee!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 January, 2008 12:39 am
Gemini G OWC
(@gemini-g-owc)
Eminent Member

Why are we looking? And if and when we do find what we looking for, what do we intend to do with it?

It's just phenomenal, maybe that's too overextravagant a word, but it's just ... how many people are out and about looking for themselves? Applying for funding to go find themselves, and when they do, they find they are in deep S**t.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 February, 2008 11:27 pm
Tehuakore Taki-moana OWC
(@tehuakore-taki-moana-owc)

kia ora koutou.

um i would like to help but i have a lot of things to say about this topic and i will send some of it .

Aroha nui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 February, 2008 6:46 pm
Share: