Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Native schools  

RSS
ahau OWC
(@ahau-owc)

Kia ora katoa,

Does anyone have a list of native/Maori schools 1910-1930, for the far north area?

Cheers Simon

Posted : 24 May, 2005 9:43 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ahau,

If you mean far north as in north of Kaitaia, the only Native school for that area was Te Hapua.

There were also schools at Te Kao, Waihopo and Waiharara but they did not come under the Native Schools Act.

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 May, 2005 1:07 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

There was a tiny old school situated on a small slope above the harbour at the back on Broadwood by Kaitia. The building was only just standing in 1992. I am not to familiar with the area but was there once It is situated on privately owned farmland and there is a paper road which runs down towards the school. I was told this was one of the earliest schools in the Northland region and had been closed for many many years, no idea if there were any records kept but imagine they would be in a museum if there were

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 June, 2005 4:13 am
witewhiu OWC
(@witewhiu-owc)

Teena koe markonijoy,try and contact someone at
Pompaillars House.New St,Ponsonby.Their use to have a library of old archives.When the late Fr.Ernest was the past custodian there.If no success there.Contact Teachers College of Education.Epsom.
Blessings.
Na,Wi.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 June, 2005 10:42 pm
bgwiremu OWC
(@bgwiremu-owc)

I have a list of students who attended the Native School in the Parapara Nth Area.

Wiremu Greaves
Australia

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 June, 2005 3:13 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Another suggestion many schools put out booklets for Jubiles / centenarys etc. These booklets often have history relating to other schools which were earlier in the area.I have found copies of these treasures are often to be found in local libraries

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 June, 2005 4:53 pm
ertyhoha OWC
(@ertyhoha-owc)

quote:

Kia ora katoa,

Does anyone have a list of native/Maori schools 1910-1930, for the far north area?

Cheers Simon

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 November, 2005 2:46 pm
arohaa OWC
(@arohaa-owc)

YOu can contact the Auckland Museum? I think it was them I went through to get a list of students for my Family Tree-/when they were enrolled/how long they stayed at school/when they went up a class/ and where they went to when they finished at school-all this info is on the sheets and also who their parents were.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 December, 2005 11:23 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

So does anyone know the answer as to what year it was made compulsory for maori to attend school?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 December, 2005 7:33 am
Nani OWC
(@nani-owc)
Eminent Member

You can also go to www.minedu.govt.nz The ministry of education has these details. I worked there on a short contract last October & remembered sighting such a list.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 January, 2006 3:57 pm
Viv OWC
(@viv-owc)

I have the list of all Native Schools in NZ fm 1879-1969. The records for these are held at the National Archives in Auckland and are from the archives from the schools and the "Appendices to the Journals of the House of Representatives".
Tell me which area/s you want listed & I will do that for you as the booklet I have is 30pages of schools and is in alphabetical order not area.

Viv

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 March, 2006 6:05 pm
Share: