Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

NEEDING HELP  

RSS
moanamarie OWC
(@moanamarie-owc)

TextText
Kia ora whanau I have just begun my journey in finding my tupuna.
I have read that you start with your immediate family then onto your first cousins. Do you also include their children and grandchildren?
Any help would be appreciated

Posted : 19 August, 2006 4:57 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Kia ora moanamarie,
Welcome to the world of Whakapapa, I hope you enjoy the experience.
Firstly in terms of where to start
Some start with the oldest known member and work down to their generation but most ( especially those who know very little about their whanau) start with themselves and work back through the generations.
Keeping records of what youve learnt is important and for this purpose
FamilySearch.org offers free downloads of paf files.
If you dont already have such a system I would recommend you consider one as it makes the task of keeping track of who fits where easier.

Also important is to keep a note of who you got the information from plus records of any bdm certificates you may come across.

Regarding who to include in your tree. I was taught that we only have the right to our own direct line with Whakapapa so this would exclude Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and side branches. However over the years I have found that others have wanted me to have their lines as well and while I have included them, I have also noted that they are in fact the property of another branch therefore not mine to share with anyone else.
I do find it helpful though in understanding the wider picture of how my extensive whanau interconnects tribally

If you are new to this it is perhaps easier to keep to your own direct line, but keep the information of the branches in case you wish to add it later. It can make it more confusing to learn your own Whakapapa properly if your energy and concentration are having to be focused outside your immediate line

Other than that I cannot stress the importance on going home to your marae and people and learning this the traditional way. It is by far a superior method of learning but is of course not always achievable. Some do not know which Maraes they affiliate with and others live so far away or simply lack the funds to get there.
However if at some stage in your journey you get the opportunity then do take it with both hands as it is only then you will find that your Whakapapa truly comes to life.

Its an addiction but a healthy one, good luck

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 August, 2006 5:58 pm
moanamarie OWC
(@moanamarie-owc)

wonderful, thank you for taking the time to reply. Your input is gratefully received. I have actually just returned to my home and marae after twenty years of being away and the seed was actually planted at my mothers tangi.So again thank you for your help on my journey.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 August, 2006 7:00 pm
Share: