Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

oceana  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
oceana OWC
(@oceana-owc)

kia ora
i'm not looking for an ancestor, i don't have any maori origine. I am french and i'm happy to discover the maori culture on this site.
there are so many beautiful things (art, songs, the language, the spirit...) So, please, accept my friendship to make a 20 000kms long bridge over the world.
Love to all
Rachel is my name.

Posted : 26 August, 2006 4:24 am
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora Rachel

I noticed that no-one has yet answered your posting which is very inhospitable and definitely not the Maori way.

Welcome to Te Ao maori (The world of Maori) maybe you should ask a few questions about things Maori and you will probably find more people will keen to offer thier advice, wisdom etc.

Again Nau mai Haere mai ki te Ao Maori

Paimarire
(Peace, love and all that good stuff!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 October, 2006 1:16 pm
Whatihoro OWC
(@whatihoro-owc)

kia ora Rachel. My tupuna are from france check this out.Emile Joeseph Borel born 4th june 1814 at touques in the Calvados district on the french coast.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 October, 2006 1:02 pm
oceana OWC
(@oceana-owc)

kia Ora,
What a pleasure to recieve your message. Thank you very much.
I guess that the whakapapa section was'nt the right place to put this topic, the E PALS section would have been better but i can't transfer it.
Anyway i am very glad to know you, Matahuru and whatihoro. I have try to send my photograph but the system does'nt work.

I really hope that you all will find your lost whanau and send to all of you my positiv thoughts for that.
I'm happy to notice that some maori's person live in france, and i hope one day discover your very beautifull ancestor's country: Aotearoa and all his "hidden treasure" that i we can discover on that site.
I have dunloaded the maori's dictonary so that i can learn a few more words of this beautiful language.
Love from France to all maori's people.
Rachel

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 October, 2006 2:31 am
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Kia Ora Rachel,

welcome to this website:). Besides the threads about searching for family relatives, some interesting discussions take place here. 🙂

Tane

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 October, 2006 6:46 pm
oceana OWC
(@oceana-owc)

Kia Ora Tane
Thank you very much to you and to all for your welkoming mail.
I have discover maori's world in a book, " maori's princess", written by a french author:Claude Simonay. A woman is surching from her losted mother in Aotearoa who is maried to a iwi chef. She discover the history and culture of her ancester and choose to live in New Zealand.
I think that any way is good to be openminded about people.
After this first step, I feel like to do more.

I live near Paris,(20kms)in a small city called "Neuilly" by a nui awa. We get a big park and lot's of sportive and culturel activities.
Have a good day
Rachel

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 October, 2006 2:21 am
Chris Huriwai OWC
(@chris-huriwai-owc)

Kia ora! its great to see your interest and love for our culture, just a wee pointer, maori translates things backward so that would mean you live by an "awa nui" (a big river) and not a "nui awa" ( a river big)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 November, 2006 2:46 pm
oceana OWC
(@oceana-owc)

Kia ora to all! Kei te pehea koe? thank you Chris for showing me this distinction. You are right, i appreciate your culture and the maori spirit and i really believe the we have lot's to learn about it like this beautiful solidarity that i feel on this site, and i understand how important is the land where we come from, and also that it's good to remember the ancestors who have transmited a spirit, a way of life. I can see that, everything in the maori's art(houses,carpet, jewels,mokos, songs...), help you to stay close from your history and show your conviction of true values like rangimarie, (peace), hoa (friendship), aroha (love) .

The waitangi's deal story showed us that english people has made a big mistake to underestimate maori's people and i'm glad that the justice has been on your side.

It's a real pleasure to learn some words of your beautiful language.I like the sonority of the words even if i'm not sure of my pronunciation.

Pai marire to all
haere ra and thank you from your interest to this topic.
Rachel

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 November, 2006 2:26 am
Aubry OWC
(@aubry-owc)

Kia Ora Rachel, I too have French Ancestors from Dieppe, name Abraham Duquesne, and so I have a huge interest in French culture. Akona te mahi pai

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 November, 2006 7:34 pm
oceana OWC
(@oceana-owc)

Kia ora Aubry, if i can help you or anybody else, i'll do it with a big pleasure. Do you wish to find informations about this person? And maybe if somebody of this family is still alive in france?

Please, what means your sentence: Akona te mahi pai? i just know that pai means good

To everybody:
Do you know if lot's of maoris where or are supposed to be still leaving in france?
the member Whatihoro has also tapuna in this area. Maybe it would be interesting to search in Normandie (north west of France).

Pai marire (have a good day,... or night), it's 12 hours between us! today here in france is tomorrow for you. Now i undestand why french people is always late! lol (Maybe it's true somewhere...)
I believe that one of the raison for somebody to live in another country is that he's got something to bring.

" If the humain seems to be a small point in universe, he can impregnate all this universe by his spirit. "

But of course, it's good to come back to your country.
He tino ataahua a Aotearoa !!!

Here is my mail adress: rachel.larhantec@gmail.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 November, 2006 9:09 pm
Aubry OWC
(@aubry-owc)

Kia Ora Oceana, actually Abraham Duquesne lived in 1600's, I do know he has a statue of him in the town square, if anyone can get a close up photograph of it, I would be very grateful. My cuzz Mike Clamp kives somewhere in France, retired there after his rugby days, will try and get his contact details.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 November, 2006 9:23 pm
oceana OWC
(@oceana-owc)

Ok if i can be usefull i'll do it. this name: Abraham Duquesne, seems familiar to me. i'll see if i can know more about him and also a photograph of the statue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 November, 2006 9:59 pm
oceana OWC
(@oceana-owc)

Kia ora Aubry, for a start, i found on the net a biography of a big sailor called Abraham Duquesne born in 1610 in Dieppe,dead in 1688 in paris; and also any genealogical informations. He's got his statue in Dieppe. He's father's name was also Abraham. I hope that it's the right person. But they don't speak about Aotearoa. The informations are in french.
If you can send me your mail adress, i'll translate the main thinks for you in english with photographs from the statue and from Dieppe. Or do you want the informations on that topic?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 November, 2006 11:10 pm
oceana OWC
(@oceana-owc)

Kia Ora, Aubry, and everybody!

your ancestor Abraham Duquesnes was an important conqueror sailor. Born in Dieppe in january 1610, he was a general lieutenant of the french navy's army. As 18 years old, he is already a comender.
Recomended by the cardinal Richelieu, he comend the boat "Neptune" in the squadron of Sourdis (1936) and do a campaign in mediterranean sea (he fighted to Lerins Islands, in Guetaria, and Taragone in 1941 and then to Kartagena .)
In 1644, he works for Sweden, and have a few victory's about danish people. So he's reconised as a vice amiral of Sweden.
Back to France, he is a squadron chef in 1647.
In 1669, as a general lieutenant, he's sended to the african coasts in the Solebay battle where he achieve 3 beautiful victories (Palermo, Stromboli, and Agosta) against the spanish army.
1680: he's last fight bring him to Alger (Algeria)and Gena (Italia) against the pirates who used to furnished weapons to the king enemies.
1685: He refuse to give up the protestantism religion and to preserve his religious conviction, has to give up the high dignity of "Marechal de France" that the king would have offered to him.
He's dead in Paris in 1688 in Paris and buried in hes natal city: Dieppe. Dieppe's park has welcome his grab and statue as a valuable and brave conqueror.
He's heart has been sended to his son Henry (oldest of 4 sons) in Aubonne (Swizerland).

Unfortunatly i can't put his statue photograph on that topic. I'll send them to your mail adress.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 November, 2006 12:37 am
Aubry OWC
(@aubry-owc)

Kia Ora Oceana, you won't find any Aotearoa mentioned in Duquesne info. We got here via, England, Ireland, India and finally Aotearoa. Name changed to Kenny when they got to Ireland.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 November, 2006 5:36 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: