Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Passing down Pounamu, what is the normal protocol  

RSS
Kaye-Kaye OWC
(@kaye-kaye-owc)

A pounamu which was meant for me before our father passed away was uplifted and taken from our fathers house just days before he died! Me being the pepe of his girls had no knowledge that it was meant for me untill our dad told my elder sister that i was to take it home and at the time he was in Marton.
He returned to Te Awamutu to find that it was gone.
I was upset that this happened and thought that it would come back and felt i had to let it go!there were more importants things to worry about i.e,him needing care becos he suffered from cancer
When our father passed away his baby sister came to me with a pounamu that belonged to our Nanny and said she had it blessed and put it on me straight away and I had worn it for seven years ++
My daughter is 10 years old and would like to pass it to her but it wont stay on her it keeps falling off and then the last time i put it on her the string broke and now i keep dreaming of my father holding a huge kono and he is saying its empty!
I have decided to not give her my pounamu beacuse i believe she should have her own.
I dreamt of her wearing a Hei Tiki and want to know
If the hei tiki signifies anything
I dreamt my daughter had heaps of children is there a connection to the hei tiki our nanny also wore one and had matching earrings these are burried with her.
I had also been told that the person who uplifted the pounamu from Dads house ended up being in the Henry Bennett Centre two weeks after Dad passed away.
Has anyone got any information on how to deal with Pounamu and the protocol of what to do when passing down taonga with such great mauri.
I would like to know how to help my whanau member who took the pounamu and how to go about helping them becos he's my brother
I would greatfully respect and appreciate and korero that anyone has to share about Pounamu and issues pertaining to them!

Naku noa na
Kaye-Kaye

Posted : 13 February, 2006 11:06 am
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

kia ora mai ano e kaye kaye

i believe that our tipuna dont come to us like the pakeha,u know like ghosts that we 'see' on shows like ghost hunt and all that other tiko but through dreams and signs.

too many things in my life are what you would call coincidence,ive been given signs and dreans all of my life and its my tipuna telling my whether what im doing is right or wrong.

i think that the best thing you can do is get a new hei tiki for your daughter because of what keeps happening.perhaps your father wants you to retain it,or perhaps the youth and life of your daughter repulses the mauri mate of the pounamu

the dreams about your daughter can become true if you buy her a hei tiki.tiki is the atua of fertility and conception.according to several iwi,including tuhoe,hineahuone was created by tane but impregnated by tiki instead.strangely a hei tiki is a sign of female fertility.

theres a story that says when tane finished making hineahuone he gave her to tiki and tiki put his...well...ona mea kai raro na lol...in different places.he put it in her eyes and tears came out,into her nose and hupe came out,into her mouth and spit came out,into her armpits and sweat came out,into her...kumu...ka puta mai ko te tiko...ten ki roto ki te whare tangata ka puta mai ko hinetitama,otira te ao tangata katoa.

so i think mau ano te pounamu i a to papa,he mea hou ano ki to tamahine.te ahua nei kua whiriwhirihia ketia e ou tipuna he aha tena,me hoko e koe hei hei tiki mona.

koira noa iho noku,mena whakaae mai etahi pai tena,whakahe ranei...ka aroha hoki lolz

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 February, 2006 6:13 am
Kaye-Kaye OWC
(@kaye-kaye-owc)

Kia Mo tena e Hearty Nati!
I appreciate your reply and Yes! I feel that she should have her own pounamu as she is a special tamahine who shows Manaakitanga and Awhitanga and always puts her needs last! alot like her great grandmother(Kuia). She is my only daughter and my eldest child who was named Kimiora Te Urupeeke by her Koro my dad!She was also the last moko seen by her great Kuia.
I will put another string on to the pounamu and wear it again when i have the Hei Tiki done in time for her birthday she will be a young lady then and a more appropiate time for her to wear it!
I feel the Kono in my dream was pertaining to myself being empty without essence
Because i had taken it off! Alas i shall put it back on!(when fixed)

Thank you again Hearty Nati your words are comforting and I am truly appreciative of your reply

Kaye-kaye
(future grand mother of MANY MANY MOKOPUNA!! LOL!)
hehehe!cant wait!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 February, 2006 8:15 am
Nani OWC
(@nani-owc)
Eminent Member

He mihi nui ki a koe Kaye,
You want to hand down the pounamu to your daughter. She may not be ready to wear it. Observe her in terms of te ao mäori as she matures. You will know when she is ready to be handed your precious taonga mai i te waipounamu. Then, you should have them both blessed.
Since a hei tiki symbolises fertitilty, you must be wanting mokopuna early. Why not a koru pounamu or one similar that symbolises mäori knowledge learning. When you buy her a pounamu, have it blessed by your kaumätua or priest.
I try & have all my pounamu blessed every year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 February, 2006 8:39 am
Animags OWC
(@animags-owc)

Taku aroha ki a koe tooku nei hoa Kaye

Tupuna have their ways of coming to us when we need their guidance and enlightenment most. The significance of the pounamu falling off and the string breaking are all significant to what hearty nati writes and agree that Kimiora having her own pounamu (hei tiki) would be fitting for her. Your tupuna are calling for the warmth of your heart, one I know you possess to keep their mauri alive. So hurry and get the string fixed.
arohanui Ani

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 May, 2006 12:30 am
stubbornforgey OWC
(@stubbornforgey-owc)

Kia ora.
Every whanaunga has different protocal concerning
taonga.
The pounamu handed to you by your grandmother is meant especially for you and only you.
By the sound of things..this taonga is not destined for somebody so young..well not yet anyway.
You will need to consider certain questions like..
how long did your nana have this taonga before she handed it down to you..?
Who wore it before her.?who handed it down to her?
Why did she hand it down to me.?
You can ask your kuia or kaumatua for guidence on this matter.
Your manawa in the right place.
Personally (my own view ok)
I would get one especially made for my child..and i mean ..traditonally.
By going back to my marae and asking somebody up there to do it.
Nowdays..too many foreigners are handling our taonga and selling them in shops ..and the things are made out of plastic.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 May, 2006 8:44 am
Becks06 OWC
(@becks06-owc)

Kia Ora Kaye

My family are very spiritual and right into the Hahi Ratana. In that Hahi they try to wipe away things like pounamu cos there is nothing sacred about it like your whakamoemiti's. My nan had alot of great stories to tell about pounamu and the most recent one was my cousins daughter. She was a baby and her father had made her a pounamu, and because he was a bit rore there ended up being a heeby geeby in it. When it was time to christen this baby she was crying but she didn't sound like a baby, she sounded like an old kuia wailing! My uncle was there and he was a Tohunga and he picked up on it straight away. Baby was sick and that was the reason why, her pounamu had an old kuia in it and the kuia was upsetting baby. This was only 3 or 4 years ago! So i'd watch where you buy a pounamu from, who made it and who your giving it too!!

So i'd be very weary if i was you cos a pounamu isn't just a pretty little necklace, each one has a significan't meaning to it.

KIA TUPATO

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 May, 2006 3:28 pm
stubbornforgey OWC
(@stubbornforgey-owc)

Kia ora becks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 May, 2006 4:33 pm
Share: