Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Please Help Translate Wedding Ring Inscription  

RSS
RyanK OWC
(@ryank-owc)

Hello

I'm hoping you can help me translate some text into Maori, which I'll have engraved into my wife-to-be's wedding ring. I've looked at the online dictionary at www.learningmedia.co.nz, which translates phrases. However, I don't understand enough about the Maori language to know if I can take words from these phrases and still have it be grammatically correct. The ring will be engraved in Europe (Austria), so I'm trying to avoid non-german/english characters. Here's the list I have so far, please improve/update anything:

My Beloved: taku whaiāipo
(could I use 'hokoi' instead of 'whaiāipo' to avoid the 'ā'?)

Forever: ake tonu atu

My Heart, My Love: Taku manawa, taku tau

My Love: taku tau

Here's a little background: I'm from the U.S. and she's from Austria - we'd met in Murchison (NZ, South Island). We have many fond memories of NZ, and I've been trying to think of how to incorporate something of NZ into our wedding. If there are more "traditional" Maori sayings that would be appropriate -- please share them.

Thank you for your help!

- Ryan

Posted : 09 January, 2006 8:34 pm
punkrocker OWC
(@punkrocker-owc)

Ko taku whaiāipo mō ake tonu atu. Te tau o taku ate.

'My beloved forever. My heart.'

Literally 'te tau o taku ate' means the seat/core of my heart...

hope this helps. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 January, 2006 9:12 pm
RyanK OWC
(@ryank-owc)

quote:

Ko taku whaiāipo mō ake tonu atu. Te tau o taku ate.

'My beloved forever. My heart.'

Literally 'te tau o taku ate' means the seat/core of my heart...

hope this helps. 🙂

Awesome thanks for the suggestion. We went and started to look for wedding rings, yesterday. She was curious why I was so interested in how many letters I could inscribe on her ring - (me being really bad at keeping secrets) I told her. She loves the idea - the deciding factor really will be how many characters will fit on the ring.

I'll let ya know how it turns out. Thanks again for your input.

- Ryan

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 January, 2006 1:48 am
Nani OWC
(@nani-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora Ryan,
For whaiäipo or sweetheart--- you could use 2 a's ie: whaiaaipo since you dont have a macroniser.
The Mäori Language Commission is encouraging the use of macrons rather than double vowels. Their website is www.maorilanguagecommission.govt.nz
Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 January, 2006 3:44 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

kia ora koutou

i prefer using double vowels cos i think its a bit mangere to push a button and instant macron...engari koiraa ooku ake noa iho,ehara teeraa i te whakahaahanai maahau e hoa,heoi ki te whakamahia ngaa tohu too,araa te macron,ka ngaro te mauri o taua reta,ka mimiti haere te mana o taua kupu katoa.he huanui anoo ka raawekeweketia to taatou reo rangatira e te tira nanakia,te ope hiianga araa ko te paakehaa teeraa.kore rawa e taarewahia anootia too taatou reo naa reira kua ahu kee raatou ki te tiinihia keetia,ki te whakapoorirohia teeraa kua taawhia e ngaa tipuna.

kua hai poouri noa kare,ehara teeraa i taaku e hiahia ana ki te whakaaturia,he whakaaro noa nooku e paa ana ki te reo.

"taku reo he reo puhi i taawhia e aku tipuna,
to reo he reo poriro i raawekeweketia e te tinimano" he kiianga noo taku tipuna a te kani a takirau ki teetahi paakehaa e paa ana ki te reo maaori

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 January, 2006 11:47 am
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

ki a koe e ryan

good on you for using our language in this way,helping to promote our reo and customs to the world.heres an ancient phrase:

'e taku huia kai manawa,ka puuritia moo ake raa'

the second part means i will hold for eternity and the first part...

well huia kai manawa is an expression for something which you have had a deep, uncontrollable yearning for and have finally succeeded in getting and thus will hold onto it forever.

huia kai manawa means huia which devours hearts,but this is symbolical of the fact that the object of your yearning causes your haert to ache with sorrow when you cannot have it,and then how it aches with joy once you do have it

a huia is a bird which was one of the most prized and beautiful birds to the maori and its feathers were worth just about anything but sadly the huia has become extinct so you would do her great honour by that comparison.

its a bit hard to translate literally and it may sound like a strange metaphor but that is the way of our ancestors.they made many comparisons between humans with birds and their behaviours.

hope you like it...incidentally,where i come from hokio means a ringing in the ears which causes headaches lol.

'te hokio e haakirikiri ana e aanini mai ai ki a taku pane' means the resounding ringing which makes my skull ache!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 January, 2006 12:02 pm
hinemako OWC
(@hinemako-owc)

"'e taku huia kai manawa,ka puuritia moo ake raa'

the second part means i will hold for eternity and the first part...
huia kai manawa means huia which devours hearts,but this is symbolical of the fact that the object of your yearning causes your haert to ache with sorrow when you cannot have it,and then how it aches with joy once you do have it"

Ae Tau ke

Ryan

This is good and its great to see our Language being used with such passion

"My Beloved: taku whaiāipo
(could I use 'hokoi' instead of 'whaiāipo' to avoid the 'ā'?)"

Whaiaa - to be bewitched
Ipo - Sweetheart

WHAIAAIPO - To be in Love

"E toku ipo ka puuritia moo ake raa"

"I will hold for eternity my sweetheart"

Pea? perhaps?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 January, 2006 12:00 pm
RyanK OWC
(@ryank-owc)

Thank you all!

We bought the rings yesterday. My fiancé, loved the idea of having the Maori text inscribed on our ring, she wanted to have the same engraved into my ring. We opted for 'e taku huia kai manawa' (due to space, we could not include the rest). We really love the meaning, and the symbolism of the New Zealand Huia makes this even more special.

Thank you, again, for all your input and feedback.

- Ryan

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 January, 2006 8:59 pm
hinemako OWC
(@hinemako-owc)

Cher Tau Ke!! to you both and Kei runga noa atu ki Hearty Nati pai tou whakaaro

Na Hinemako

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 January, 2006 10:41 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

aue!!ka kaapanapana mai taku ngaakau,naa teenei honore nui kua tukuna mai ki a au,heoi,ehara i a au noa teenei honore,he honore ki a te iwi maaori whaanui,aa,ki a te hunga kua tuku kee i o raatou na whakaaro.

i just want to say thank you e ryan for wanting to include te reo maori into ur lives and spreading our culture to the four corners.maybe the idea will catch on with others and spread even further.tau ke taku iwi maori,tau ke!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 January, 2006 12:06 pm
Share: