Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Publising your whakapapa online for only your whanau  

RSS
konrad OWC
(@konrad-owc)

Ki Ora,

For the last couple of years I've had my whakapapa online for my whanau. It contains stories, pictures, audio clips, links with various whanau, hapu and iwi, military records and importantly for our whanau it has been private. It hasn't replaced going back home to learn in-person, but in todays world where families are busy making a living in different cities it can help re-enforce our connection with each other and promote discussion about our whakapapa.

The website relies on the open-source project phpgedview, to help you control and publish information to the Internet for only the people you want. Basically there are 4 levels of privilege for each whakapapa; an 'administrator' who controls adding and removing users, an 'editor' who can make changes and upload media, a 'user' who can view but not edit information, and a 'public user' who is anyone who doesn't have a login. For my families whakapapa, all whanau are editors, and there are no public users allowed.

There are more details at the [url="http://phpgedview.net/"]phpgedview website[/url], or you can post any questions here and I'll try and answer them.

I'm also considering allowing other whanau to publish their own whakapapa on my webserver for free, with you or someone you designate being the admin. If your interested then drop me a line.

Posted : 30 March, 2008 8:08 pm
Share: