Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Researching Whakapapa  

RSS
matatabornnbred
(@matatabornnbred)

Kia Ora,
I would like to clear something that has been worrying me since I started researching my own Whanau Whakapapa. I started in October last year and i have found that it has come very easily.
Now right from the start, I have had numerous people, say to me "Watch out , cause you'll get HIT". A HIT meaning I soppose, a growling from our dearly departed tipuna. Now I have managed to complete parts of Whakapapa, that have had previous unsuccessful attempts and YES I am tired, but as far as dreams have been, I can go to bed stuck on something and wake up with the answer so to speak.
Can anyone give me the do's and don'ts of doing Whakapapa in regards to the very common threat of a HIT.

Kia Ora Ano.

Posted : 14 February, 2007 3:07 pm
mysty OWC
(@mysty-owc)

Tena koe E hoa,

My advice for you is continue to search for the rest of your whanau whakapapa

Don't listen to what other people say but do whats right and that is finding your lost whanau connections-whakapapa

You may find some information about your whanau tipuna that may shock you or you just dont understand

That is okay because after you complete your whakapapa finding, you will do some more research on the trible stories or whanau stories

What could be helpful to us is if you message your iwi and/or last name

Kia kaha
Kia toa
Don't give up!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 February, 2007 6:51 pm
matatabornnbred
(@matatabornnbred)

Kia Ora mysty!

Thaks for your humble reply, it has made me feel alot better. Sorry, my name is Donna Semmens and on my father's side I am Ngati Rangitihi of Te Arawa. On my mother's side I am Ngati Hokopu, Ngati Awa and Whakatohea of Mataatua.
I have already posted requests for Whakapapa in most forums,which have been all replied with very helpful information.
What I am doing now is researching further than what has already been done or what has been attempted and stopped for some reason or another.
Mind you, they did'nt have what resources I have today, and I must say this site and the internet overall has helped me considerably. I now have pictures,photo's and korero of our whanau tipuna which has my Whanau buzzing with excitement.
No, I won't give up, But I better slow down, it's like my tipuna are showing me the way, but giving it all at once!

Yes, your quite right about information that could shock, and I have found that people sometimes refuse to give Whakapapa because of that and tell you to leave it alone.

Which is very sad, I personally don't judge others and what was done or said was then. We cannot help or change who we descend from but they are still our tipuna.

In generations to come, our own descendants will have korero about us(and I won't say I've been an angel!)and so forth.

Nice to meet you mysty. Ka kite e hoa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 February, 2007 7:36 pm
matatabornnbred
(@matatabornnbred)

I would like to say, I have now been reassured by one that has helped me considerably. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has had doubts because of such things said, and on reading this forum, will carry on with head held high.

Ka Kite.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 February, 2007 9:33 pm
frontman OWC
(@frontman-owc)

Kia Ora Donna 2547,
Yes must definitly keep going. Your Tupuna are helping you. When I started seaching for our Whakapapa I two had korero like yours and started having doubts but then something comes to me a name or a place or even whanau name that I had seen in my search. Its like something is pulling you back into the fold again.....i can't explain it.I know of people who have been seaching for years and still going. So all i would like to say is keep going and be strong.

Kia Kaha Donna2547

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 June, 2007 10:09 pm
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Kia ora donna, i do not think being HIT is necessarily a bad thing as long as your dealing solely with your own whakapapa. Being hit will just let u know your not on the right path

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 June, 2007 10:39 pm
Share: