Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

snook/gordon  

RSS
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

snook/gordon Mabel, born Patea 1896, no father recorded, daughter of Alice snook. Mabel raised by Alice gordon nee o'neil{l} in Hunterville.Mabel died in 1930 at chch, married a Sydney Avant.Had 2 sons George my grandfather and his brother Kenneth, both deceased.Had a daughter to Sydney but she knows nothing of her mothers maori heritage, my grandfather told us and my father has a quiet acknowledgment e.g the electoral roll decent question.fathers are unknown also for my grandfather and brother.Other decendents of Mabels grandparents on mothers side were told nothing either.I want to know my whakapapa but having a difficult time finding relevant records and info, I don't even have a surname to start with that connects me to any whanau relevant except Mabels cousins married into the Kingi and Bertrand families, but they werent told anything either.How does someone grow up without even a whanau name try and find their turangawaewae as have had others try and help with this including a researcher at Patea museum, if anyone reading this can help, as have tried so many records searches with no success, its like my history has been made up on paper with the last few generations going to the other side not sharing any info and why whatever happened back then caused my history to be buried so deep, short of me having dna tests to say i'm part maori, so u can tell i'm getting desperate to find out anything i can in regards to my gt-grandmothers history and why 4 to 5 generations of my family don't have their own name. I would be forever grateful if anyone could help, be better than winning lotto anyday!!!!

Posted : 12 July, 2006 11:44 pm
Kaye-Kaye OWC
(@kaye-kaye-owc)

I'm not sure if this is the right whanau due to the fact that the whanau you could be looking for is Snooks instead of Snook.
But! try if you may (with the names you have been given) the contact for Aotearoa Marae, Hastings Road, Normanby, Ngaruahinerangi rohe in South Taranaki. it is worth a try! and i hope you find the information you are looking for!
Kia Ora Kaye-Kaye

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 August, 2006 12:59 pm
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

thankyou Kaye, i checked that family out a while back, their name snook derived from a soilder who had children with a maori woman from there, subsequently a couple or so of those children were whangai,the only thing was no one could remember who the soilder's name was, thankyou for your reply, much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 August, 2006 1:06 pm
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

lucy who married richard jordan in patea was also my gtgrandmother's cousin, richard and lucy had 13 children and it was a couple of their daughters that married into the bertrand and kingi family, thought i would make that clearer if anyone wondered about that!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 August, 2006 4:15 pm
Share: