Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TE TIRITI O WAITANGI - Tinorangatiratanga.!!!  

Page 1 / 15
  RSS
K.Te Keepa Rata Te Awe OWC
(@k-te-keepa-rata-te-awe-owc)

Kia Ora Te Whanau,

I have been learning about Te Tiriti and wonder if other Maori felt similar feelings when they learnt. I wanted to ask the question with so much documented evidence that the crown have breached their part of Te Tiriti by not upholding the 3 principles, partnership, protection and participation, why is it that when I ask the question, the reply I get is, "Oh well, it's getting better, it's more Maori today than it was before", I can't understand how this can be aloud to happen when to me this is blatant ignorance and blatant disrespect of our natural born rights. The sooner our people realise our rights the sooner Aotearoa will be saved, we are loosing our whenua faster than we realise and I can't stress enough the importance of coming together as one and claiming back what is rightfully ours. Tinorangatiratanga !!!!!

A great person once said to me;
We do not own the whenua,
We belong to the whenua,
We are Kaitiaki, we are Tangatawhenua.

Kia ora

Posted : 17 July, 2006 5:02 pm
nga puhi 21 OWC
(@nga-puhi-21-owc)

I was interested in your message and agree that Maori have been disadvantaged. Te Tiriti has not been upheld and Article 2 holds most of our grievances. What do you think as Maori, we could do to regain our tino rangatiratanga?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 July, 2006 8:43 pm

Kia Ora Nga Puhi,

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your awareness of Te Tiriti and the articles which outlined the treaty. I believe we need to become aware as a culture what Te Tiriti is, alot of us really have no idea. We also need to know who we are, so we need to know our whakapapa. I also believe that we need to go back to our true Tikanga, and that I mean the pre-colonised Tikanga, as alot has changed and adapted to the colonisation and adopted as Tikanga when in fact it isn't. We need to go home to our philosophy. If Tikanga does not align itself with Maori philosophy, then it isn't Tikanga !! Go home to your tikanga and learn the simplicity of our people. Search out the old Karakia and throw away the colonized karakia like the lords prayer for example. Christianity does not align itself to Maori philosophy, this belongs to another culture. We believed in the father, the mother, the son and the daughter, the women are missing from Christianity, which has alot to do with the way our world is today, a male chauvenistic world. Tinorangatiratanga will come, when we can show we can actually look after our own affairs, this isn't going to happen when we hold the highest statistics in crime, domestic violence, jail inmates and drug/alcohol related illness's. Our culture is lost, once we have found ourselves, we will be searching to seek out our right to govern ourselves, so until then, we need to do alot of self work and self discovery, which is why alot of older people are enrolling in Te Reo classes, why there's so many people now interested in learning their Whakapapa, because it's time, Makariki has marked the beginning of the people returning to their home, their home being Tikanga Maori.

Kia ora
Look forward to discussing issues further

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 July, 2006 9:58 pm
nga puhi 21 OWC
(@nga-puhi-21-owc)

[quote]

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 July, 2006 2:24 pm
nga puhi 21 OWC
(@nga-puhi-21-owc)

Kia Ora

I agree,alot of Maori no longer practice tikanga. I am wary of using the word lost as i believe that we never lost our culture or tikanga, it was taken. I am sure you have seen from learning the treaty that govt throughout time have put acts in place which have prohibited us from practicing our tikanga, you only need to look at the Tohunga Supression Act to see that this has been our history with government. But now as we move into the new century and live in a colonised world, Maori are begining to realise we have been behind the 8 ball for so long and now need to step up to the plate and start to take ownership of some of the issues that we as maori face, even though some of these issues are a direct result of colonisation. I look at our prisons and our men are there, i look at CYFS and our babies are there, I look at youth justice and our rangatira are there, our journey to rectify this is a long and tedious one, in which Maori need to all band together so that we all benefit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 July, 2006 2:52 pm
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Tena korua e wetewetehia nei nga whakaaro e pa ana ki te kaupapa kua whakatakotoria nei. Tenei mea te Tiriti o Waitangi me nga tikanga e kawe nei e tatou te iwi maori.

Warm salutations to you both. I have been reading your articles and am caught in a stalemate sense of mind. I understand the injustices that are placed and have been forced onto the maori people, however, we live in a paradox of contradiction. We as maori claim our tino rangatiratanga to be intrinsically intertwined with the whenua that is pressed against our feet. Furthermore, is the denouncement of land ownership as a concept of the maori people. I believe this to be a untrue statement as the maori people once did and still do own land, and therefore have a clear understanding of land ownership. The difference is in the values that are inherent in the maori concept of ownership. This ownership may begin in the possesion and authority of land, through conquest and other means of acquisition but it is the development of this relationship between man and land that formulates into partnership and finally a co-keitiakitanga partnership between man and land. This is where man looks after the land and the land reciprocates this.

I believe maori need to understand this concept and apply it to the reality at hand. The reality is that we as maori can no lomger expect that the land and rights will simply be given back by the crown and now look at other avenues to reinstate our relationship with our land. If this is through investment of what is offered back in compensation to a point where it is economically viable then i believe this is way to do it.

In terms of tikanga, remember that the tikanga of old are the foundations of creation to be built upon, fostered and nurtured. Tikanga are a human inspired set of morals, a figment of creativity used to serve the maori people and most of which are basic and of a common sense like nature. Before adherence to such tikanga and kawa of old one must understand all aspects of those tikanga and then move forward with them.

Learn from the past and create the future...

Naku noa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 July, 2006 6:09 pm

Kia ora e te whanau,

What beautiful korero I am reading here, ka pai and thank you very much for your views as they mean alot. I hear what you are saying loud and clear Nga Puhi with our people filling up the jails and CYPFS and courts etc... and yes it is time we turned our lives around, my heart goes out to those whanau who have whanau in these ugly places as they truely do try to destroy the spirit and soul of a person, and as we know, our people DO NOT belong in these institutions, they are not designed to cater for maori, they are working on the "mono system", for one culture and that's not ours.

Kia ora Taiga, once again, beautiful korero, thank you for your email, I loved your viewpoint on this sensitive subject and I also tautoko what you are saying about our relationship with the land and this is where we all need to start with, I know no piece of paper can tell me where I belong as my tupuna do this for me every day and when I look out my window each morning, the first things I see are the light outside, the trees and nature, I see the beauty we have at our doorsteps and for me, it's just acknowledging this and letting Ranginui and Papatuanuku know that I acknowledge them every time I step outside or look outside, saying hello to my parents each time I can, is such a liberating feeling. The saying of "honour thy mother and thy father", to me that message is Ranginui and Papatuanuku.

Kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 July, 2006 11:10 am
nga puhi 21 OWC
(@nga-puhi-21-owc)

Kia ora

I believe that when we think of tino rangatiratanga, we need to not just relate this to our whenua. Dont forget that article 2 included tino rangatiratanga over our treasures also. The biggest treasure that springs to my mind is our rangatahi. We need to pass our land onto our children therefor need to raise our children so that our fight today is not lost tommorrow.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 July, 2006 12:29 pm

Kia ora Nga Puhi

Yes I agree, we most definately need to pass this onto our children to follow, however, I am hoping, wishful thinking on my behalf maybe, that they won't need to fight, as I feel this generation is the one that will make the difference. But the importance of the relationship with the land and all the resources is preserved through our tamariki.

Kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 July, 2006 4:28 pm
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Tena hoki kotou. this may seem rather out of left field but he patai ano taku... What is it to be Maori and what is Maori? I ask this simply because i have a somewhat alternative perception on this issue and i believe this answer will provide a clearer understanding of land issues and a pathway for forward progression.

Ki konei ahau e taria nei

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 July, 2006 6:00 pm

Kia ora Taiga,

I believe we are indigenous to Aotearoa as kaitiaki of the whenua and ALL the resources attatched to the whenua. It is the Indigenous people of Aotearoa - Tangata whenua who are kaitiaki. To be honest I don't know where the name Maori came from.

Kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 July, 2006 8:21 pm
nga puhi 21 OWC
(@nga-puhi-21-owc)

For me to be Maori is to have knowledge of my identity. To be proud of who I am and where I have come from. To be proud to be a part of the Maori race and at no time apologise for who I am. To be Maori is to feel it, to understand it, to be able to sit comfortably in my own skin. The question could be interpreted in many ways, and that is just my interpretation of it. It is more than ticking the box when asked to complete forms, for me Maori is a way of living. It has taken me close to 24 years to discover this, and now I can proudly say, I am Maori.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 July, 2006 9:04 pm

Kia ora Ngapuhi

I tautoko you

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 July, 2006 9:11 pm
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Me manaaki ka tika! I have been born to this earth and since my first ever breath i have been claimed and recognised as Maori. A concept i have sinced realised is without definition. He aha te mea nui o te ao? He Tangata!

To me being maori is a concept without maori origin, it is an idea that promotes segragation and disharmony. He Tangata! I am Man, I am Human.

Maori is a term now used to classify the people whose dna composition like mine was derived by an ancient people.

I am therefore not Maori but a descendant of those passed on. The land is me and i am the land. Keitiakitanga is about partnership, a mutual understanding and a bridge between mauri!

Ki whea ra waku korero e haereere nei? Kei te puta noa

I hope you dont mind. I also think and this may be rather contraversial but Pakeha also have a claim to Tangata Whenua status

Hei whaiwhakaaro ma tatou

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 July, 2006 2:00 am
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Tena koe taiga mo ou whakaaro rangatira,

otira, he patai iti noa iho taku,

mena, ehara tatou te tangata whenua i te maori, na, ko wai hoki tatou? na, ko nga mea i meatia ra e koe e hangai ana hoki ki iwi ke? Mena, ehara au i te maori, ehara (hei tauira) a Ngati Pakeha i te pakeha (no te mea, mena, ka korero penei tatou mo tatou ano, na, e hangai ana hoki enei korero mo iwi ke?)

??? <--- koia hoki taku roro e kotiti haere noa ana hehe

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 July, 2006 10:08 am
Page 1 / 15
Share: