Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Translation Please - TAMAITIKOHA  

RSS
kooodi OWC
(@kooodi-owc)

I am trying to find an acurate definition for a childs name. Tamaitikoha. My literal translation is Small Gift, gift being boy. I understand there may be many definitive translations for this name, I am just after more acuracy.

Thanks all.

Edited by - kooodi on Oct 26 2005 8:11:13 PM

Edited by - kooodi on Oct 26 2005 8:11:45 PM

Posted : 25 October, 2005 8:48 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

it means like 'the gift that is a child' i guess,kinda hard to translate but thats my rima cents worth lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 October, 2005 8:51 pm
kooodi OWC
(@kooodi-owc)

Thank you. We are living in England and I kinda wanted my son (3 weeks old now)to have a name reflecting his ancestory. I have never been given the chance to follow mine. I am from Ngati Porou, but had nothing to do with my father.

Ultimately, we have named our son Tamaitikoha and translate it as 'Gift of Child'. Being in England, he will be named Tama.

Thanks again.

Kodi

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 November, 2005 11:47 am
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

oh cool.me from ngati porou too.do you know wat part u are from?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 November, 2005 4:13 pm
Nani OWC
(@nani-owc)
Eminent Member

Its a shame you have to shorten Tamaitikoha for the sake of the Anglo-Saxons & them not being able to pronounce it correctly. This was the problem in NZ for many decades.
Why cant you simply name him Tama?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 January, 2006 3:53 pm
Share: