Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Translation Required  

RSS
teeta OWC
(@teeta-owc)

Whakapapa terminology, what does the following mean?
Ko <name>
Ka moe a <name>
Ka moe ia <name>
Ka puta ki waho
Ko <name>
What does Ko and Na mean preceeding a name?
What does Ngati and Nga etc...signify preceeding a Hapu or Iwi name?
what does "Te" mean when used to preceed a name?

Posted : 15 October, 2006 8:30 pm
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

"Ko" is used to emphasise the name that follows. "Ko Richard ahau" = my name is Richard. "Na" means by, or from - Na Richard = By Richard

"Ka moe a/Ka moe ia" = Married/ married to.

"Ka puta ki waho" = then begat was.
"Nga, Ngati" refer to mass of people, collectively known as tribe.

"Ko (name) ka moe a (name)/ka moe ia (name) ka puta ki waho ko (name)"

Name slept with/married (name), they begat (name)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 October, 2006 11:28 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Te = the

And if the name has te in it, you don't proceed with a e.g.

Ka moe a Mea i Te Rau NOT Ka moe a Mea i a Te Rau (although, some people are getting in to this these days....having a before te..)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 October, 2006 7:58 am
teeta OWC
(@teeta-owc)

Whilst I understand the reply from Taiga...I am completely lost on what tane_ariki is talking about

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 October, 2006 8:44 am
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Teeta I have outlined it in a simple manner - look again -

This is the correct way -

Ka moe a Mea i Te Rau where Mea = Name of some ancestor, and Te Rau = some ancestor with the word Te in the name.

The incorrect way (but people still do this, and it is a slight error but I think it deserves to be talked about because of the way people are speaking te reo today) is

Ka moe a Mea i a Te Rau.

quote:

"Ko (name) ka moe a (name)/ka moe ia (name) ka puta ki waho ko (name)"

It should be -

Ko (name) ka moe i a (name)/ ka puta ki waho ko (name)-

For example -

Ko Hinengaro ka moe i Te Whakaaro ka puta ki waho ko Ngawari.

Hinengaro slept with Te Whakaaro and Ngawari was the result.

Now, if the name was just Whakaaro, then it would be -

Ko Hinengaro ka moe i a Whakaaro ka puta ki waho ko Ngawari.

However, some people do say, if the name was Te Whakaaro -

Ko Hinengaro ka moe i a Te Whakaaro ka puta ki waho ko Ngawari.

I'm just pointing out that that isn't really correct (the insertion of a before te would be referred to as hyper correction in Linguistics).

Furthermore, to complicate the matter, some people do say A Mea ka moe i a Whakaaro ka puta ki waho (which pretty much the same, the particle choice is different).

(Mea, Hinengaro, Te Whakaaro, Whakaaro, Te Rau, Ngawari = names)

In any case, I encourage everyone to learn te reo rather than just reciting set memorised phrases.

The reason why you don't use a, is because a and te are both articles, a is used before names and te before nouns, however, if a place name or a personal starts with Te (as in Te Rauparaha) then you don't use a before it.

I just want to make sure that you know everything that you need to know about these kinds of things so you're not mystified should you be reading texts such as the one that you've equired about why are there differences. Ahakoa he iti, he pounamu tonu. Even though its trivial, its still important.

Edited by - tane_ariki on Oct 16 2006 09:16:55 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 October, 2006 9:15 am
Share: