Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Understanding written whakapapa  

RSS
shopey OWC
(@shopey-owc)

Does anyone know who to contact to get help understanding written whakapapa. I have whakapapa but I do not know how to read it or understand it. Thanks a lot.

Posted : 29 March, 2007 3:02 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

hey shopey, which iwi are you from? Are the documents written in te reo?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 March, 2007 3:39 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

The reasons why I ask those questions is because you don't want that whakapapa to fall into the wrong hands. You also want to make sure that the person's reo is good enough to handle the sentence structuring.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 March, 2007 3:41 pm
shopey OWC
(@shopey-owc)

Hey tane ariki,

thanks for that. I am Ngati Kahungunu and Ngati Porou - possibly I have further whakapapa links but they are in the documents. The document was prepared over time by my grandmother and sent to all the whanau. I have no Te Reo, and come from a closed adoption into a pakeha family. I am gradually trying to reconnect. The documents read a little like a family tree but not in the pakeha manner, far more complex.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 March, 2007 3:52 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

so it is written in te reo Maori?

I'd like to help you out, but I'd prefer it if someone from Ngati Porou/Ngati Kahungunu would help you since this is important information.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 March, 2007 3:58 pm
shopey OWC
(@shopey-owc)

Thank you, I understand what you mean. This document is written is te reo primarily, with some English.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 March, 2007 1:12 pm
Nani OWC
(@nani-owc)
Eminent Member

kia ora shopey,
Firstly, you need to contact family elders from both your parents side of the family. You need names e kare.
Good luck!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 April, 2007 11:01 pm
Share: