Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

WAIATA AND WAIATA TAWHITO O HAURAKI  

RSS
Taiwhakaea OWC
(@taiwhakaea-owc)

Kia Ora ano koutou.

could anybody leave some moteatea and waiata of Hauraki please

Posted : 06 January, 2008 10:49 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

And what is your relationship exactly to Hauraki????

Inahea 'oe i a'o ai e 'olelo i ka 'olelo hawai'i...?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 January, 2008 11:31 pm
Taiwhakaea OWC
(@taiwhakaea-owc)

im not that pro in Hawaiian but i know enough to keep to associate with the Hawaiian people.

Im collecting moteatea from Hauraki, Waikato, Maniapoto and Raukawa.

If its not ok with you Tane but thats why im asking for Hauraki Moteatea and Waiata i do not have any relationship with Hauraki.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 January, 2008 12:30 am
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Kia Ora Taiwhakaea,

Its not so much that you need my permission or anything but more out of curiosity as to why you'd like to collect such waiata.

I recommend that you check out Nga Moteatea by Apirana Ngata and Pei Te Hurinui Jones. You should be able to find that at University of Hawaii library I believe and/or at the Bishop Museum. You should also see if they have a copy of Simmons' "He Tau Rere" (I think that's the name of the book). There is a song in that book too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 January, 2008 12:54 am
Taiwhakaea OWC
(@taiwhakaea-owc)

I have been collecting other iwi moteatea rather then my own waka moteatea.

Because these waiata a taonga to maori i am one that wants to hold on to these waiata.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 January, 2008 12:19 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Well songs by Marutuahu peoples (Ngati Tamatepo, Ngati Tamatera, Ngati Whanaunga, Ngati Maru, Ngati Paoa) are naturally songs that belong to Tainui (Paoa is Mahuta's (ancestor of Ngati Mahuta ne) younger brother, Tamatepo, Tamatera and Whanaunga are all great great grandsons of Whatihua who is the older brother of Turongo. (Whatihua also married Apakura, where the Ngati Apakura tribe receive their name from, another Tainui tribe in the Kawhia - King Country region. You must have heard of us, right?) so I'm not too sure what you mean by saying waka moteatea.

Edited by - tane_ariki on Jan 07 2008 1:00:55 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 January, 2008 12:57 pm
Taiwhakaea OWC
(@taiwhakaea-owc)

I beleive that Ngati Maniapoto have a collection of their own and waikato have their own and Raukawa have their own.

What im requesting is those of their iwi such as Hauraki with the composers and the history of why the moteatea was made

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 January, 2008 11:38 pm
Taiwhakaea OWC
(@taiwhakaea-owc)

i have completed my collection of Raukawa waikato and Maniapoto, i havent got any from Hauraki.

what i mean by my own waka is that i collected other iwi and waka moteatea rather then my own waka Tainui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 January, 2008 11:43 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

A, kua taka te kapa e ta.

Heoi, me tiki atu e koe aua pukapuka taku i korero ai. Kei roto i aua pukapuka etahi waiata i Hauraki mai, a, he kupu whakamarama hoki e whai ana i muri iho i ia waiata i ia waiata.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 January, 2008 11:55 pm
Taiwhakaea OWC
(@taiwhakaea-owc)

Ae tena koe Tane

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 January, 2008 5:43 pm
Share: