Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Were there 7 Waka or More?  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS
Puke Tui OWC
(@puke-tui-owc)

Were there seven Waka from Hawaiki or were there more?

Reason: Taiopuru Mana Tapu (Title) to represent them all so that bias is kept nil.

From what I have gathered, there are in number seven known Waka namely:

1. Kurahaupo
2. Ngatokimatawhaorua
3. Mamari
4. Mahuhu-ki-te-rangi
5. Tinana
6. Te Mamaru
7. Mataatua

There are also the whale-riders from what I was told came to Aotearoa upon them.

If there is any out there who could help me out it would be very much appreciated as it is the Taiopuru Mana Tapu in the last days.

Posted : 27 September, 2007 9:51 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Kia ora Puke Tui
type 'The Great NZ Myths about Maori' into this sites search engine, make sure you tick the box to see all postings ( not just the recent ones)
I know we have covered this subject under other headings as well so a general search may reveal more.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 September, 2007 10:56 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

quote:

1. Kurahaupo
2. Ngatokimatawhaorua
3. Mamari
4. Mahuhu-ki-te-rangi
5. Tinana
6. Te Mamaru
7. Mataatua

I'm surprised Tokomaru, Takitimu, Te Arawa and Tainui didn't make the list!

From what I can tell, those are all waka connected mostly with the Far North.

And from what I've been told, Tinana and Mamaru are the same waka (the Tinana sailed back to Hawaiki, was re-carved, and then sailed back to Aotearoa).

If you go to http://www.teara.govt.nz/ you should be able to find more info.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 September, 2007 9:33 am
Puke Tui OWC
(@puke-tui-owc)

Thank you for your help Markonijoy and please do not be ignorant nor irritant my friend. For what it means to a person and through his/her mahi is what counts the most. And as for the dead, they already know who I am and are acceptable because of the Lord of Hosts. However accuracy is required on more of a higher level such as Taiopuru Mana Tapu.

I am writing the End Time Prophecy to the Lost Tribe of Israel representing all Tupuna from Hawaiki to the establishment set out in Bible Prophecy. It is the secrets of the Tupuna breathed in Hawaiki and closed in Hawaiki held under the Wairua Tapu. They the Tupuna are my Brothers.

The name I had conceived was titled: “The Descendants of the Seven Waka.” Now I am truly satisfied that that title cannot represent neither Waka Tupuna nor Tupuna whale riders.

Again thank you my friend and I will do that search.

Ka ki te ano

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 October, 2007 1:10 pm
Puke Tui OWC
(@puke-tui-owc)

Sorry to hear that Tane Ariki and yes you are right Northward Waka. And I will do that search and ask around the place as well. In other words we can’t forget one of them if we’re representing them all from Hawaiki titled: ‘The Lost Tribe of Israel’ can we?

And I have to jot down the ones you posted which is a great help too.

Something to think about:

Hawaiki TapuThe Beginning

“STONE PROPHECY”(Daniel 2: 34, 35, 44, 45, 12: 9)

And the End

Thanking yous

Ka ki te ano

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 October, 2007 1:50 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Kia Ora Puke Tui,

all good. There are heaps of waka, many and many.

quote:

Whakapapa-
"Where in ignorance we can confuse the dead and irritate the living"

That by the way is Markonijoy's signature. Its not really a part of her post as it gets attached to every single post that she ever writes.

Other members do it too. Whats frustrating is when members use signatures and they don't indicate that it is a signature!

The first part of her signature I disagree with completely...but that's a separate issue altogether.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 October, 2007 2:48 pm
Puke Tui OWC
(@puke-tui-owc)

What a way in and out aye?

Thanks Tane Ariki

And yes now I know there really are many many and not just seven Waka. Thanks a lot man what a blessing especially when we need to know more for what we are getting ourselves into.

Here gathered is settled

Ka Ki Te Ano

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 October, 2007 4:28 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora Puke Tui

With your seven waka, and Tane's 4 waka, that makes our total so far 12 waka ne?

Ok also in the Tuhoe/Whakatohea district we have Te Nukuhou, Te Nukutere, Te Arautauta of Whakatohea. Thats 15 so far.

Great excercise actually. Very interested to sdee how many waka we can come up with, especially those less known.

Kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 October, 2007 9:23 am
pono OWC
(@pono-owc)
Eminent Member

kia ora puke tui

My tupuna came off Aotea Waka.

ka ki te ano

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 October, 2007 10:03 am
Puke Tui OWC
(@puke-tui-owc)

Hallow there and thank you Matahuru and Pono

Yes it would be interesting to see how many we can come up with, especially those less known.

Man it would be choice to see on original context and or other of the order. Imagine that and what would come of it. I believe that that is in part the united tribes of NZ under a single Taiopuru Mana Tapu in its own context or draft before the people.

I have visited http://www.teara.govt.nz/ as Tane Ariki said would find more info, and there is heaps alright.

Markonijoy search, “the great NZ myths about Maori,” is full of information too. Explains seven Waka, 1350 AD, as the 'Great Fleet' arrives in NZ from island Polynesia. Weather these were the leaders before the rest I am not sure.

Knitting Whakapapa and stories together from first to last is not an easy thing. I am convinced though that there was more than Seven Waka. Kaupapa Seal for now I let rest.

The list so far:

1. Kurahaupo
2. Ngatokimatawhaorua
3. Mamari
4. Mahuhu-ki-te-rangi
5. Tinana
6. Te Mamaru
7. Mataatua

Tane Ariki
8. Tokomaru
9. Takitimu
10. Te Arawa
11. Tainui

Matahuru Tuhoe/Whakatohea districts
12. Te Nukuhou
13. Te Nukutere
14. Te Arautauta

Pono
15. Aotea

Again thank yous

Ka Ki Te Ano

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 October, 2007 5:06 pm
Upokoruru OWC
(@upokoruru-owc)

quote:

Sorry to hear that Tane Ariki and yes you are right Northward Waka. And I will do that search and ask around the place as well. In other words we can’t forget one of them if we’re representing them all from Hawaiki titled: ‘The Lost Tribe of Israel’ can we?

And I have to jot down the ones you posted which is a great help too.

Something to think about:

Hawaiki TapuThe Beginning

“STONE PROPHECY”(Daniel 2: 34, 35, 44, 45, 12: 9)

And the End

Thanking yous

Ka ki te ano

what the Fuck is this????The unpublished manuscripts of Tolkien or something???

anyway, there are many waka in the other 'island', yes remember starting at 41 degrees lattitude south, the other half?
The whole of the South Island is a waka, Maui's waka 'Mahunui'.Before then the back-bone of the land is the southern alps when the four sons of Raki and Papatuanuku , named Aoraki,Rakiora, Rakirua and Rarakiroa descended in their celestial vessel 'Te Waka-a-Aoraki' became petrified after been buffeted by the violent waves of Takaroa. It is now seen lying on its side with its crew hanging on its side.
Te Waka-a-Raki was an ancient vessel that landed around the Aupouri shores .Te Waka-a-Huruhurumanu is the name given as the Uruao waka migration or the magical prototype of the Uruao.It's likeness is outlined in Te-Waka-a-Tamarereti,the Tail-of-the Scorpion.The Uruao is the first waka to mahunui-S.Island under the command of Rakaihautu and his son the pliot Rakihouia. The Uruao brought the Waitaha, Kahui Tipua and Kahui-a-Roko people across the ocean and left the Kahui-a-Roko at the 'last Hawaiki' and proceeded to bring the Waitaha and Kahui Tipua to the S.Island. It was Rakaihautu and Rakihouai who established and explored this land. Rakaihautu lived over 50 generations ago.It is also believed that Rakaihautu and the Uruao waka stopped at the North-land region for a while before sailing south.
The Kahui Roko had the kumara though, and their descendants came later to the S.Island for they became the Kati Mamoe who first arrived circa.1570 A.D.They brought the Araiteuru waka tradition which went back to 'Hawaiki' to bring the kumara for the Tini-o-Toi (Toi-kairakau) .The Araiteuru then sailed down the east-coast of Mahunui and was wrecked in violent storm off the shore and became petrified along the Otago coast .Its crew who managed to make land went in different directions put became petrified.It's cargo of gourds became the famous Moeraki boulders see till this day.There are no descendants from the Araiteuru.
Next the Takitimu under the command of Tamatea sailed around to the Waiau river on the western side of Murihiku where it became wrecked attempting to land up the river mouth.Its form became petrified as the Takitimu mountains and other significant features of the Murihiku landscape.Tamatea and his people then met the Waitaha who journeyed with him further North.
This suggests that the Takitimu tradition was brought by the Kaai Tahu , however south-west Murihiku is not a traditional Kaai Tahu rohe-perhaps the Aitanga-a-Riti , Tukorero (Tutekawa's wife) who was also a descendant of Kahungunu and a Kati-Mamoe with Kaai Tahu links brought this history with them.However, the old people when interviewed by James Herries-Beattie claimed that the Takitimu story was absolutely true and wouldn't say otherwise.The Whatahoro/Percy-smith 'Lore of the Whare Wananga' version of the Takitimu voyage with Tamatea and Tutakhinahina as the founder of the Waitaha iwi is pure fabrication.Herries-Beattie's S.Island Maori informants never heard of Tutakahinahina except one who claimed he lived in the "time of the gods".Infact, Tutakahinahina is sometimes shown as one of the children of Raki and Papatuanuku.

Edited by - Upokoruru on Nov 20 2007 5:26:14 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 November, 2007 8:28 pm
Puke Tui OWC
(@puke-tui-owc)

Hallow Upokoruru

That’s along list. But I am satisfied that there were more than seven Waka so I’ll be changing the title I had in mind.

And the answer to Tolkien or something, Is Stone Prophecy to the Lost Tribe of Israel in the Last Days. Have you heard around the place, Maori, this Lost Tribe?

Well if you have, and which is true, it will come with the End Time Prophecy and Church of God. The Tupuna are the Wairua Tapu people come from God.

We are talking here, the laws of God and they the Tupuna are the carriers of the laws of God. What law where law, in secret held under the Wairua Mana Tapu of the Highest.

There were only two brothers in Israel who were blessed with the End Time blessings come from God. I come from the both of them and one of them is the Tupuna.

The big question is how?

Thanks for your input Upokoruru and hope to hear from you again

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 November, 2007 8:36 pm
Upokoruru OWC
(@upokoruru-owc)

"There were only two brothers in Israel who were blessed with the End Time blessings come from God. I come from the both of them and one of them is the Tupuna. "

......stick to the script not the Scripture!
You know Puketui when I was in New York in the mid 1990's I saw these three clowns, 3 black dudes dressed in 'ancient Hebrew' threads like something from a Cecil B DeMille epic Hollywood Biblical film spouting out racial rubbish about "white man this, white man that....Black people chosen of God , Moses and Aaron blah, blah,...' and other crap.They were standing on a small stage in Times Square dressed in this garb holding shepards crooks and the like and looking down at my girlfriend and myself with a dissapproving frown .What comics.

Edited by - Upokoruru on Nov 21 2007 9:07:41 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 November, 2007 5:31 pm
Mikey OWC
(@mikey-owc)

The following i will quote from a book called "VAKA MOANA"

These approximates of course!

And sourced from traditon/whakapapa!

AD 950 - Kupe
1150 - Toi
1350 - The great fleet

-----------------------------------

Using dating methods such as RADIOCARBON

Puts major settlement around the 13th century - allowing for previous discovery of Aotearoa from 11th to 12th Century?

-------------------------------------------------

This is a direct quote here

" The settlement of new zealand involved several canoes that usually travelled singly from sources in East Polynesia over a period of time perhaps lasting several generations, or even centuries. Multiple voyaging is shown by multiple DNA lineages of the kiore in the tropical source area, the kermadecs and New Zealand and a study of human DNA suggests a minimum number of around 70 - 190 women came as migrants."

- Thought this migt add some thing to the discussion?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 November, 2007 5:50 pm
Rakaimataura OWC
(@rakaimataura-owc)

Well on the coast there are about 6 waka, probably more:

Horouta, Nukutere, Nukutaimemeha, Mangarara, Rereanini, Te Ikaroa a Rauru

These are the ones I can remember at this stage.

And just over the Raukumara'z, my iwi of Te Moana a Toitehuatahi:

Tauira Mai Tawhiti, Te Ara Umauma, Te Aratawhao, Te Aratauwhaiti.

Again, these are just the ones I can remember at this time

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 November, 2007 12:40 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: